Forums
Posted By: monikav Moreton Shore - 4th Apr 2021 4:08pm
I was down at Moreton shore yesterday at low tide and came across what seemed like wooden posts embedded into the sand about 50m offshore. They were still upright, seemed fairly sturdy still and there was about 7 of them in almost an exact row. Does anyone know what these would have been or whether there's ever been a structure on the beach? I'm aware of the prehistoric forest near Meols that used to be seen occasionally, but these were definitely rounded stumps rather than the remains of trees. Just curious whether anyone knew why they might have been there!

Attached picture IMG_3077.JPEG
Attached picture IMG_3078.JPEG
Attached picture IMG_3079.JPEG
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Moreton Shore - 4th Apr 2021 8:45pm
Can't see pics but I think there used to be medieval (?) fish traps along that coastline; maybe that's what you saw.
Posted By: monikav Re: Moreton Shore - 5th Apr 2021 1:15pm
Ah ok, thank you, that could be it. I’d not heard of fish traps like that before but I’ve had a quick look and it’s definitely possible given the alignment of the posts. Just had never seen anything in the sand down there before but curiosity sated!
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Moreton Shore - 1st May 2021 9:16pm
I have noticed a load of these recently but much newer looking. Its still a done thing there, as far as I can see. i will get some photos if I remember when im down there.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral