Forums
Posted By: ChrisRobbo Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 21st May 2020 5:40pm
Can anyone help, please?

As children in the 1950s, my Aunt used to pack a picnic and we'd cross to the Wirral from Liverpool.

One of our well-liked places was an old graveyard with a tiered section that seemed to overlook the river. We children used to run up and down along the tiers looking at the large and sometimes-ornate gravestones. There were seats where we could sit for our picnic. I don't think this section was in use then - the gravestones were quite old, but I have no idea whether this was a large cemetery with parts still in use. The tiered section seemed large to us but we were children.

None of us can recall the cemetery's name and I wonder whether anyone can help, please?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 21st May 2020 6:41pm
If it was the early fifties, it may have been St Mary's cemetery, if you seen the sea I think you would remember Cammell Lairds as well.

Grange cemetery, West Kirby, a possible, also Flaybrick.

If you use Google maps street view, you can get into Grange and Flaybrick, might jog memories.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 21st May 2020 7:09pm
Did you get the ferry or the train over?
I cannot find anything on the side by side map.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...3.09948&layers=193&right=BingHyb
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 21st May 2020 8:52pm
After you had crossed the Mersey did you walk to this spot or get a bus?
Posted By: granny Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 22nd May 2020 11:43am

Birkenhead Priory /St Mary's ? here's a sketched map.

https://www.hslc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/108-8-Bushell.pdf
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 22nd May 2020 2:36pm
Surely that wall on Church St would block the view of the river, as Cammel Lairds graving docks were on the other side.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 22nd May 2020 4:36pm
https://stmarysbirkenhead.blogspot.com/
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 22nd May 2020 5:16pm
Originally Posted by bert1

That rules out St Marys then.
Posted By: granny Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 22nd May 2020 10:06pm

Could it have been St Hilary's ? That is quite high up , don't know what the view would be like in the 1950's if different from today..
Posted By: granny Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 23rd May 2020 8:54am

I'm wondering if childhood memories are playing a mind game.. Could you have visited two different places ? The one you describe as tiered and overlooking the Mersey with seating,, sounds to me more like Wallasey Town Hall , but no grave stones ! Just a thought.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 23rd May 2020 9:51pm
This is what I had been thinking - as a child of the 50's I remember lots of families used to sit on the tiers in the summer. Have been mentally walking round the areas of the ferries and cannot think of anywhere else that would fit the bill. The view from St Hilary's is more over to Wales.

ChrisRobbo - do you have any family members buried on the Wirral? Maybe your aunt combined a visit to their grave and then your picnic lunch maybe at the TownHall - just a thought.
Posted By: Norton Re: Old Cemetery on the Wirral - 2nd Jun 2020 12:02am
Also, the Tower Grounds at New Brighton had wide steps between the prom and higher ground. Just past Tommy Manns train, towards Vale Park, where the sandstone wall to one side of the prom. edged the grass bank, and was a popular place for day trippers to stop and rest - and enjoy the view, have a sandwich and and enjoy and ice cream.
These rose tinted glasses are not what they were...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral