Forums
Posted By: yoller Mersey ferries, 1840s - 28th Oct 2018 2:01pm
These two pictures are from Smith's Strangers Guide to Liverpool, 1843.

The first one (picture on the left) is of the old Birkenhead Ferry, which was on the edge of Tranmere Pool behind St Mary's Church and the Birkenhead Hotel. The hotel and ferry were opened in 1820 and the church in 1821.

But I'm not sure what the ferry is in the second picture. I think it may be Tranmere Ferry, which was opposite Birkenhead Ferry on the south side of Tranmere Pool. Can anyone help?

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 10.29.53.png
Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 10.30.26.png
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mersey ferries, 1840s - 28th Oct 2018 5:36pm
Yes, I'd agree the second is Tranmere Ferry.

Attached picture tranmere 1844.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Mersey ferries, 1840s - 26th Nov 2018 2:02pm
Hi Yoller. The Ferry depicted in your second picture is actually Rock Ferry not Tranmere Ferry. The giveaway is the building visible just above the slipway which is clearly the old Baths (later Bath Cottages) on Rock Ferry Esplanade. The houses to the left are the large villas in Rock Park, whilst the steeple beyond belongs to St Peter's Church. DD's picture, a copy of a watercolour by Charles Warren Clennell has been miscaptioned, as it clearly also shows the Esplanade Baths at left with the Royal Rock Hotel to the right.
Posted By: yoller Re: Mersey ferries, 1840s - 27th Nov 2018 11:58pm
Just seen this, Marty. Thanks for clarifying the location. I don't know Rock Ferry well, but now you have pointed out the Rock Park villas (which I remember from donkey's years ago before the bypass was built), it's obvious where it is. I think I'm right in saying were no such villas along Tranmere Bay, near the Tranmere Ferry.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral