Forums
Posted By: Erainn 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 18th Sep 2013 3:13pm
Can anyone advise me as to where I could get details of businesses/shops that operated in Market Street during the 1970s? IS there a Directory available? I am looking for what I remember to be a screen-printing place down there and would love to get more information. Thanks. Erainn
Posted By: YinYang Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 18th Sep 2013 7:46pm
Austin Stirrup perhaps?
Posted By: Erainn Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 18th Sep 2013 11:23pm
Hi YY, was that a printing outfit down Market Street?
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 19th Sep 2013 5:11am
Austin Stirrup Advertising Ltd had addresses at Palm Hill, Conway St and Cleveland St, can't find them in Market St.
Posted By: Erainn Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 19th Sep 2013 9:32am
Bert, thanks for the info..I take it then that company would not have been about silk-screen printing etc? Cheers, Erainn
Posted By: bigpete Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 19th Sep 2013 12:43pm
Foto Kam - opposite the Copperfield...?
Posted By: YinYang Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 19th Sep 2013 1:07pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Austin Stirrup Advertising Ltd had addresses at Palm Hill, Conway St and Cleveland St, can't find them in Market St.

...was close. Nice try but no cigar, eh? smack

I just remember it being very near Hamilton Square, and that it used to be a company dealing with graphic art and advertising. Austin Stirrup is still going, but is now located in Bebington.
Posted By: Erainn Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 12:31pm
bigpete thanks for that suggestion, do you recall that place as doing printing, screen prints etc? Bert is 'FotoKam' listed in any directories you may have? Many thanks, Erainn
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 1:34pm
Erainn,

I have looked and can't find Foto Kam leading up to 1984, I think they may have been in Market Street after that date.
Posted By: bigpete Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 1:42pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Erainn,
I have looked and can't find Foto Kam leading up to 1984, I think they may have been in Market Street after that date.

They did move there from around the corner in Hamilton St - but well before that - a least 1980...

They did allsorts - printing for local business, camera sales and repairs, air rifles, airfix models - a real hotch-potch and a fascinating place to mooch around....
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 1:46pm
1972 Foto Kam, closing in on them Pete.

Attached picture foto kam.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 1:53pm
1982, and in 1979 they were in Market street.

Attached picture fotokam.JPG
Posted By: Erainn Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 2:25pm
Bert you are a master of detective work smile Maybe my memory confused their earlier location as being in Market Street..just a thought but has Hamilton Street been 'developed.removed' or has it ever been one of the named roads on Hamilton Square?
Posted By: Erainn Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 2:29pm
bigpete many thanks for sharing that info...
Posted By: bert1 Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 2:53pm
Originally Posted by Erainn
Bert you are a master of detective work smile Maybe my memory confused their earlier location as being in Market Street..just a thought but has Hamilton Street been 'developed.removed' or has it ever been one of the named roads on Hamilton Square?

Hamilton St at one time ran through to Hamilton Sq station, probably still does but not for cars, Foto Kam at 21 Market Street, must have been on the corner of Hamilton/Market, see 1970 map.
5 Hamilton St must have been down by Hamilton Sq Station

Attached picture ms.JPG
Posted By: Erainn Re: 1970s Shops/Businesses In Market Street - 20th Sep 2013 7:22pm
Bert thank you very much for all the insights and information on that, really helping to narrow the search down :)Minus precise recall I'm left with a vague feeling the place I am looking for was down Market Street. It would have been 1972 and I am certain it was a place doing silk-screen printings...the quest continues
© Wirral-Wikiwirral