Forums
Posted By: Longnails Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 12th Nov 2012 11:46pm
Does anyone have any photo's of Clwyd Street, Birkenhead. My Grandmother used to live in a small terraced house there and moved shortly before the houses were demolished. Thanks
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 16th Nov 2012 9:10pm
The only photo I can find of Clwyd Street, taken not long before the houses were pulled down, together with some of the neighbouring streets that went at the same time.

Description: 2-28 Clwyd Street
Attached picture 2-28_Clwyd_Street.jpg

Description: 2-24 Kinmel Street
Attached picture 2-24_Kinmel_Street.jpg

Description: 2-24 Rhyl Street
Attached picture 2-24_Rhyl_Street.jpg

Description: 1-5 Rhyl Street
Attached picture 1-5_Rhyl_Street.jpg

Description: 15-23 Rhyl Street
Attached picture 15-23_Rhyl_Street.jpg
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 16th Nov 2012 9:15pm
Some more of the doomed properties in the same area.

Description: 73-83 Park Street
Attached picture 73-83_Park_Street.jpg

Description: 85-97 Park Street
Attached picture 85-97_Park_Street.jpg

Description: 99-109 Park Street
Attached picture 99-109_Park_Street.jpg

Description: 34-44 Eldon Street
Attached picture 34-44_Eldon_Street.jpg

Description: 29-51 Beckwith Street
Attached picture 29-51_Beckwith_Street.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 16th Nov 2012 9:30pm
I'm fairly sure Les McAteer British and Commonwealth Middleweight champion 14 July 1969 — 12 May 1970 lived in Rhyl Street when he was younger
Posted By: Erainn Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 16th Nov 2012 9:56pm
Any images of nearby Leta Street?
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 16th Nov 2012 11:24pm
If the camera had just turned round the other way in the photo of Eldon st you would see Cathcart st annex
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 17th Nov 2012 2:43am
Originally Posted by Erainn
Any images of nearby Leta Street?
Only seem to have the even numbers for some reason...

Description: 2-26 Leta Street
Attached picture 2-26_Leta_Street.jpg

Description: 28-50 Leta Street
Attached picture 28-50_Leta_Street.jpg

Description: Rear of 24-50 Leta Street
Attached picture 24-50_Leta_Street_(rear).jpg
Posted By: Geoff1954 Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 17th Nov 2012 9:01am
Yes, Les McAteer did live in Rhyl St.Where the camera man is standing is more or less were his house was.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 17th Nov 2012 10:46am
Marty thanks so much for those amazing images, opened up a flood of memories. smile
Posted By: Longnails Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 17th Nov 2012 7:30pm
Thanks so much Marty99fred
How a picture can bring back so much happiness!
I used to visit my Nan most most lunch times in the early 70's. I'd walk from my office in Hamilton Street so my time with her was limited. Her gas/elec meter was situated behind her front door and too high up on the wall for her to reach. She was so small bless her.I used to put a shilling in the meter for her.
My boyfriend at the time, now Husband, used to call at lunch time too and when I ask her could he come in she wanted to know his religion, she was a devout Catholic. I laugh about that now!
I'll send these photo's to Dad; he'll be really pleased.
Regards
Posted By: Lyn123 Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 19th Nov 2012 1:24pm
Fantastic images, thanks for posting them.I could look at photos like these all day.
Lyn.
Posted By: alfie48 Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 19th Nov 2012 4:49pm
great pictures do you have any of Payson street I believe it was by cathcart street as I was born in this street
thanks
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 19th Nov 2012 9:51pm
My dad lived at 110 park st till he married my mum my auntie lived there till the houses were pulled down she was moved to Prenton my dad knew the McAteers was friends with Pat went on bike rides to Wales with the lads who lived round there
Posted By: troberts Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 22nd Nov 2012 8:45pm
excellent images and great to see them, does anyone have any pics f Jackson st at all,
regards
Tony
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 22nd Nov 2012 10:11pm
Was showing my dad these photos he said that the space between the houses in Rhyl st was where a bomb fell and the fronts of the houses fell off
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Nov 2012 4:12pm
Rhyl Street was indeed bombed, on the night of 21/22 December 1940. It was hit by one of a stick of bombs that straddled the area between Watson Street and Conway Street, causing damage in Watson Street, Rhyl Street, Romilly Street, and Dacre Street, and on both sides of Conway Street. One of the bombs was the one that hit the Ritz Cinema, killing five people.

Payson Street actually ran between Livingstone Street and Vittoria Street, but I don't think I've ever seen a photo of it.

I posted a couple of colour photos of Jackson Street here; I think I've also got a few B&W ones, so I'll add those here at some point.
Posted By: troberts Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Nov 2012 8:41pm
Marty
Brilliant pictures of Jackson Street, thanks for posting them
Never seen the house,s there if that make sense,only ever seen the car parks etc. My birth cert show mums address as 13 in 50 Jackson st, great to see the pictures
Regards Tony
Posted By: troberts Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 21st Dec 2012 9:40pm
Marty Did you ever find the B&W shots of jackson st all?
Regards Tony
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 22nd Dec 2012 11:22am
The McAteer's used to live in Kinmel St. next door to my mate Roger Jones whose parents were deaf mute.
I lived in Clwyd St. with my nan.
Posted By: flossy Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 22nd Dec 2012 7:51pm
hi my frends grandparets lived in kinmel st, and the were deaf mute her name was jenny jones but she moved to south africa when she was about thirteen and we lost touch after acouple of years, a long shot i know but i dont suppose you ever heard anything about her did you?
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Dec 2012 8:17am
I don't remember a Jenny Jones, but Roger had a brother Stanley in the Fire Service who went to Rhodesia.
My mate Roger was sadly killed in a motorcycle accident in 1959.
His dad used to work at Cammel Lairds.
Posted By: flossy Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Dec 2012 9:02am
that would probably have been my friends dad in was rhodesia not south africa memory not too good as it was such a long time ago now thanks anyway you are the first person i know of who remembers them it was jenny that taught
me the deaf and dumb alphabet while we were in school
Posted By: Hoofhearted Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Dec 2012 9:09am
There is a sister to Roger and Stanley, who lives in Devon.
She 'signs' (for deaf viewers) on TV down there, I was in touch via Friends Reunited but not for a few years.
I went to Holy Trinity then on to Hemmy, left school in 1954.
Posted By: flossy Re: Clwyd Street, Birkenhead - 23rd Dec 2012 1:08pm
jenny would be about 62/63 now we went to conway sec, i know she married in rhodesia but after that i havent got a clue what happened its one of those things that you often wonder what happened to them but dont know how to find her if at all she is in this country she may have stayed in rhodesia, and of course if you dont know someones married name you dont have alot of chance of finding them
© Wirral-Wikiwirral