Forums
Posted By: chriskay Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 4:26pm
Does anyone know the history of this building on Rake Lane in Wallasey(or is it Liscard), corner of Osbourne Avenue?
In 1912 there was a Welsh Presbyterian church on the site, but this looks 1940's to me. It has a history of being used as a car showroom or garage, but does anyone know if it was built for that purpose?

Attached picture P1000449.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 4:52pm
I would think 1930's/40's also. Although it's been knocked about a bit, to me it has got that ecclesiastical look about it ?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 6:37pm
Don't think this was ever a church. Inside, the roof is mostly angle iron trusses and tin (or maybe corrugated asbestos). I think it was probably built as a garage, but for upper class cars, with the front being the showroom and the back the service area.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 6:42pm
OK Chris. Don't judge a building by its frontage eh ?? ha.ha. I didn't know what lurketh behind.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 7:54pm
I think this was part of the larger garage that used to be across the rd' fountai garage.
Posted By: Norton Re: Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 10:46pm
Just borrowed this map from another post re: Herrons Garage (Rake Lane).

I remember it as a car showroom as I bought a car from there in 1975. I think it was a branch of Toronto Motors who had the Texaco garage in Grove Road at the time (or perhaps that's where the cars new MOT and tyres came from). Herrons sign was still visable high up on the large garage on the west side of Rake Lane, but may well have been operating as Fountain Garage at that time.

Could there have been a degree if similarity in the design of both buildings? To me it looks like it was built about 1920.

Attached picture map_fountain_garage.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Mystery building - 20th Jun 2012 11:28pm
A bit more info from Noel Smith's 'Sandstone and Mortar'

"Stanley's Cask" was the old "Nag's Head", which was built in 1825. Mrs. Mary Smith was the landlady in the 1920's and Bill Rogers had the public house in the 1950's. No. 210 had been a chip shop for years and is now a house. Fred Garner made lovely chips. Only the gate-posts (the gateway is now bricked up) remain of "Sandy Mount". The name of the house is still on one of the posts.

"Stanley Cottages" were situated behind and were occupied by Llewellyn Rowlands, a zinc merchant, John Arthur was an accountant and Charles Arthur was a market gardener. Tom and Gerrard Rowlands went to live there. Later Mr. & Mrs. Herbert Blunt were the occupants.

Tom Rowlands had the garage at the top of Osborne Avenue.

Close to the cottages was a small lake where one could use the rowing boats that were kept there.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 7:23am
Was this Apperleys in the 1940's or am I thinking of the garage in Rowson Street?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 7:54am
chriskay,

After our adventure there yesterday (& before you dragged me off for a pint!) I talked to my elderly neighbour & he remembers back to roughly 1935 & he thinks he remembers the name of the place (as a garage) as Rowland Williams. Off to library this morning to see if they have any info.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 8:06am
Thanks, folks; Norton, thanks for the map and the extract from the book; most useful and seems to confirm that it was always a garage, as we suspected. Tatey, I thought I warned you about associating with undesirable characters who force beer down you. thumbsdown
Posted By: Tatey Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 8:57am
Once my washing machine man has been & fixed said appliance, I will be off to the library. And yes you did, so much so that I dumped the car & went back to see the lovely blonde!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 2:49pm
Earlston Road library does not have a complete set of Kelly's, but in the 1942 copy, the owner or occupier was Rowland Thos L & son, motor garage & in 1962, the same.

In 1912,there is no mention of a number 190 Rake Lane, Wallasey, but there is a Llewellyn Rowlands, a zinc merchant of Stanley Cottages which are/were behind said building.I think the son was Tom. Then I went to the pub!
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 4:36pm
Looking at my 1911 O.S. map and comparing it with the map Norton posted, I now think that where my map shows "Welsh Presbyterian church" that is referring to the building opposite, which is so marked on Norton's map and not, as I originally supposed, where the lettering actually is, in which case, there's nothing on the corner of Osborne Ave. at that time. Thanks for your efforts, Tatey; now back to the pub with you!
Posted By: Norton Re: Mystery building - 21st Jun 2012 9:12pm
Looking at the OS maps, the early ones show this site as plot 58. In 1899 it is vacant land, but by 1911 it has a building on it of the shape we recognise now.
By the way, the Herrons / Fountain garage on the opposite side of the road also appears for the first time between the 1899 and 1911 maps.
If you want to look at the maps, go to old-maps.co.uk and enter the co-ordinates of 331250 393200. (nb So far, no sign of the boating lake that was mentioned.)

From the Phone Books, in 1933 there is the entry 'T L Rowlands, Motor Engineers, Rake Lane. Tel Wallasey 724'.
By 1960, the entry is for 'T L Rowlands & Son' on New Brighton 4016.
By 1964 there is no entry for them in Rake Lane.
In 1972, 'Rake Lane Auto's' is the entry, and the address of 190 Rake Lane is given. By then, they were on 051-639 2684.

Please don't try to dial these numbers - they are only quoted for information!!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Mystery building - 22nd Jun 2012 8:25am
Guess that puts that one to bed. Thanks Norton.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Mystery building - 22nd Jun 2012 10:59am
Yes, thanks, Norton, and thanks Tatey for a pleasant outing. A pity the Bentley wasn't available. I wish you success with your barmaid; wish I had such pleasant pubs near me.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Mystery building - 22nd Jun 2012 3:06pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Yes, thanks, Norton, and thanks Tatey for a pleasant outing. A pity the Bentley wasn't available. I wish you success with your barmaid; wish I had such pleasant pubs near me.

Thanks Chris, said barmaid was picked up from home & delivered to work today due to the English Summer weather!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral