Forums
Posted By: Roslynmuse New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 8th Apr 2012 8:29pm
Can anyone shed any light on this story, told to me today?

In the late 1940s (?) the owner of the Montpellier Hotel in New Brighton also owned the cafe on New Brighton pier. His name was Mr Fern (or Fearn). His habit was to take a 'short cut' from the cafe which involved swinging along the outer railings of the pier. One day the balustrade gave way and he fell to his death in the river.

I can't find any more info on the internet - maybe one of the experts on here has something more tangible than this word-of-mouth version?
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 6:41am
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse
Can anyone shed any light on this story, told to me today?

In the late 1940s (?) the owner of the Montpellier Hotel in New Brighton also owned the cafe on New Brighton pier. His name was Mr Fern (or Fearn). His habit was to take a 'short cut' from the cafe which involved swinging along the outer railings of the pier. One day the balustrade gave way and he fell to his death in the river.

I haven't heard that story, but do you know where the Montpellier Hotel was? sherlock
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 8:13am
Originally Posted by Tatey

I haven't heard that story, but do you know where the Montpellier Hotel was? sherlock

I'm guessing Montpellier Crescent! Apparently my grandmother used to work there.

I've just found this:

"...My Mother who is still alive and living in Devon bless her. However she use to be the Manageress of the Milk Bar on New Brighton Pier in the late 40's at a time when her boss died jumping from the Pier to the Ferry..."

on this site:

http://www.merseyside.net/newbrighton/pages/comments.htm

Sounds like it could be the same story.

Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 6:28pm
OK thank you. I used to live in Montpellier Crescent but never knew of an hotel there!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 7:04pm
Found this:

MONTPELLIER HOTEL (NEW BRIGHTON)
LIMITED
At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above-named
Company, duly convened, and held at 54 Mount Road,
Wallasey, Cheshire, on the 18th March 1974, the following
Special Resolution was duly passed:
" That the Company be wound up voluntarily, and that
Brian Stuart Burton, of National Bank Building, Fenwick
Street, Liverpool, be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator
for the purposes of such winding-up."
(333) E. I. Scrini, Chairman.

on this webpage:

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/46249/pages/4061/page.pdf

Could give a clue to a demolition date, perhaps. Or maybe a different location?
Posted By: LisaW Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 8:31pm
I can't find any deaths registered between 1940-1950 that match the surname
Posted By: cmw2a Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 10:20pm
Somebody told me there was a one-legged man that used to dive off the pier to retrieve money that people threw in for him - maybe there's a connection here?
Posted By: Raven61 Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 9th Apr 2012 11:08pm
There isn't a connection but regarding the one-legged diver I have just found this print for sale on Ebay;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lancashire-ONE-LEGGED-DIVER-Old-Vintage-Print-1983-/230612861161

The print has the following text;

Don't Forget the Diver

Most years we spent our Wakes-Week holiday at Egremont, on the Wirral peninsula. I t was a poor relation of the grander sea-side resort of New Brighton. We could not afford the flesh-pots of New Brighton, but we could, several times during the week, taste it's heady delights, for it was within walking distance. As a special treat we sometimes made the short trip by boat, catching one of the fussy, black-and-white, round-rumped ferry boats. Two of these boats had earned the prefix 'Royal' because of their part in the raid on Zeebrugge in 1918. They were the Royal Daffodil and the Royal Iris.
When we did go by boat one of the exciting things to look out for was the famous Diver. He was a daring, one-legged man who made death-defying dives from the height of New Brighton pier into the murky waters of the Mersey. He timed his spectacular plunges with the arrival of the ferry-boat full of trippers, and his wife collected pennies from them by means of a bag on a long stick. She would cry, 'Come on now. Don't forget the diver. Every penny makes the water warmer,' and, 'If you don't put a penny in the bag it'll rain before you go home tonight.' After each dive he had to climb back up a narrow, iron companion ladder, his one leg making him hump up like a sea-lion. This impressed me almost as much as the dive.

Those of us old enough to remember the Liverpool comedian Tommy Handley, in the ITMA broadcasts during the last war, will remember that he didn't forget the diver either!
Posted By: cmw2a Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 12:27am
Oh thanks Raven! I thought there must be some truth in the story. Well researched!
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 4:39am
Good old "Peg-leg Gadsby" what a guy!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 7:17am
Great find Raven.

What is a 'Flesh Pot'?
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 8:43am
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Great find Raven.

What is a 'Flesh Pot'?

Bezzy --- The sort of places I have visited on my travels!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 8:51am
My Dad, who lived in New Brighton remembered the chap. He told me the cry was "A penny for the diver. A penny for the diver"

The guy deserved a damn sight more than penny for diving into that foul sewer of a river - as it surely was then !
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 10:40am
I knew that you would have the answer Tatey, you naughty boy! X
Originally Posted by Tatey
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
Great find Raven.

What is a 'Flesh Pot'?

Bezzy --- The sort of places I have visited on my travels!
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 11:22am
What can I say, other than guilty as charged!
Posted By: petethebike Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 3:11pm
I lived in a "penthouse apartment" in The Montpellier Hotel in late 1969-70,the views across the bay at night were a joy to behold. It was no longer active as an hotel,but was let out in flats and bedsits.My long lasting memories,apart from frolics with some lady friends,was the over powering smell of boiled cabbage from the ground floor flat of the caretakers.It was also very handy for The Clarence!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 3:52pm
Great thread, some brilliant history I never knew about here happy
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 10th Apr 2012 5:23pm
Originally Posted by petethebike
I lived in a "penthouse apartment" in The Montpellier Hotel in late 1969-70,the views across the bay at night were a joy to behold. It was no longer active as an hotel,but was let out in flats and bedsits.My long lasting memories,apart from frolics with some lady friends,was the over powering smell of boiled cabbage from the ground floor flat of the caretakers.It was also very handy for The Clarence!

petethebike, so was it in Montpellier Crescent & if so can you remember the number or where about it was please?
Posted By: petethebike Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 11th Apr 2012 4:42pm
Hi Tatey,the Hotel was where the newish flats are at the eastern end of the crescent on the sea-ward side.Can'remember the number unfortunately.Such a shame they were demolished.
I noticed the building opposite,on the junction with Albion Street has also "been improved" by being replaced.If i recall correctly, the cellar was once a club, The Witches Cauldron?
Hope this helps you some.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 11th Apr 2012 5:16pm
Hello
I used to go to The Witches Cauldron, was quite good. My now ex wife lived opposite on Dudley Rd. Sorry for going off topic.
Posted By: Tatey Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 12th Apr 2012 6:04am
Originally Posted by petethebike
Hi Tatey,the Hotel was where the newish flats are at the eastern end of the crescent on the sea-ward side.Can'remember the number unfortunately.Such a shame they were demolished.
I noticed the building opposite,on the junction with Albion Street has also "been improved" by being replaced.If i recall correctly, the cellar was once a club, The Witches Cauldron?
Hope this helps you some.

Perhaps that would be "Warrenhurst" which I believe is the name of the house that was demolished. On the corner of Montpellier & Portland St. The Witches Cauldron was in the cellars under the chemist's shop on the corner & I have to admit I have been there!
Posted By: Raven61 Re: New Brighton pier death 1940s? - 17th Aug 2012 3:30pm
Here's a postcard of The One Legged Diver. Hopefully.

Attached picture One Legged Diver.JPG
© Wirral-Wikiwirral