Forums
Posted By: hoseman GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 3rd Dec 2011 12:21pm
What do we know about Girlings in Bromborough?
My dad worked there in the late 60`s and early 70`s. Remember going there a couple of times as a sprog but very vauge memories. Where exactly was it, any part left?
i know the Bromborough power station fed part of it.
Ive been on the website to look at old photos in a hope of seeing my dad, but mostly of the south wales factory.

Anyone any memories of Girlings, pics or relatives who worked there and may remember my dad.
His name was Ralph Dutton

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 3rd Dec 2011 4:26pm
my ald fella worked there, 60's i think
Posted By: suey30 Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 3rd Dec 2011 5:02pm
both my mum and dad worked there in the 60s and 70s.they did shift work,7 to 3 and 3 to 11.there names where ted and audrey lancaster,
Posted By: Helles Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 3rd Dec 2011 7:15pm
Made brakes or brakes pads/shoes I think. Never worked there but did regularly collect and deliver the laundry. It was mainly green plastic type overalls covered in oil. Well when I collected them they were covered in oil.
Posted By: PhilH Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 3rd Dec 2011 10:32pm
No memories of Girlings but fond memories of your dad at St Caths.
Posted By: daveybm Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 4th Dec 2011 11:35am
I worked at Girling Bromborough from 1968 - 1975, they made Disc Brake calipers for cars (Ford, Vauxhall, Rolls Royce, Saab, Volvo, BL and Jaguar amongst others),the brake pads were never made by them they where usually made by Ferodo or Gandy although the steel backing plates where made at the factory. They also made brake units for Trains and for Cheiftan Tanks. The factory was sited on the corner of Dock Rd South and Thermal Road, and part of it was incorporated into the CPUK plant which stands there today, although you'd have to be hard pushed to identify it.

Dave
Posted By: hoseman Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 4th Dec 2011 2:00pm
Hi phil, yeah, remember you saying a while back. Just trying to trace his varied work career! He also worked in a chocholate factory in Liverpool somewhere when i was born, was told he used to bring SLABS of chocholate home in his work bag....must be where i get my addiction from!!!
Posted By: bert1 Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 4th Dec 2011 2:11pm
Taveners rings a bell in the old memory bank.
Posted By: hoseman Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 4th Dec 2011 7:40pm
Ive done some contract work in Cerial partners, still a few old buildings in the factory standing, some have just been clad so you cant make them out. Guess the old frontage is where the offices are now?
Any external pics to give me a clue as to what it looked like??
Posted By: daveybm Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 5th Dec 2011 9:03am
Can't help with any pics but the Office entrance in Thermal Road was the Managers entrance and office, to the left of that was the Apprentice Training School (about 15 of those red windows long) above which was the Drawing Office, to the right of the Office Entrance was a staff car park which was overlooked by the canteen to the right again was the pay offices and personnel offices, this brings you to the corner of Thermal road/Dock Road South where there was a security lodge and the entrance for us workers with all the clocking on machines surgery etc,the goods inward store ran from there to where the weighbridge is, that where it used to be it may even be the same one. Sorry I can't be more specific but without any pics it's a bit hard.

Dave
Posted By: hoseman Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 5th Dec 2011 7:07pm
Thanks mate, makes it a bit clearer. There must be some plans, drawings or pics of the site somewhere?
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 6th Dec 2011 8:22am
There's always the Aerial 70's view on the e-mapping site:

e-mapping clicky

(Sorry - couldn't get the link to centre on Girlings)
Posted By: sunnyside Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 8th Dec 2011 1:17pm
;)HELLO, I WORKED AT THE GIRLING PLANT AROUND THE SAME TIME, I AM NOT LIVING IN THAT AREA NOW BUT PASS THROUGH REGULAR,I WORKED IN THE RAILWAY BRAKE SECTION I DO NOT HAVE ANY PICS BUT MANY MEMORIES.
I HAVE MANY FOND MEMORIES OF THE PLACE, I AM ACTUALLY LOOKING ON HERE FOR EX-EMPLOYEE AND FRIEND OF MINE I HAVE POSTED A MESSAGE HAD LOTS OF VIEWS BUT NO FEEDBACK HIS NAME WAS RONNIE GREENFIELDS AND HE WAS THERE AT THAT TIME ALSO IF I GET ANYTHING I WILL LET YOU KNOW, IS YOUR DAD STILL WITH US? REGARDS SUE
Posted By: sunnyside Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 8th Dec 2011 1:19pm
HI, DID YOU WORK AT GIRLINGS? IF SO WERE YOU THERE AROUND 1970ISH AS I AM LOOKING FOR A FRIEND WHO WAS THERE AT THE TIME WHO I HAVE LOST TOUCH WITH REGARDS SUE
Posted By: chriskay Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 8th Dec 2011 1:23pm
Sue, just a reminder that capitals = shouting.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 8th Dec 2011 1:23pm
HELLO DAVEYBM, I AM LOOKING FOR A RONNIE GREENFIELDS WHO WAS A LORRY DRIVER AT GIRLINGS AROUND THE SAME TIME I HAVE POSTED MESSAGE ON THIS SITE BUT NOTHING DID YOU KNOW HIM? REGARDS SUE
Posted By: hoseman Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 8th Dec 2011 6:30pm
Sue, caps off please, no need to shout, even our seniors dont have a problem getting thru! LOL.
My dad is no longer with us (and i dont mean we lost him in Tesco`s either!!) wink
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 8th Dec 2011 8:38pm
The problem with working at Girlings was that there weren't enough brakes. Just lunch brake and two tea brakes.
Posted By: daveybm Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 9th Dec 2011 9:18am
Sorry Sue but I didn't know him, don't forget about 2000 people worked there then.

Dave
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: GIRLINGS BROMBOROUGH - 9th Dec 2011 9:23am
Originally Posted by chriskay
Sue, just a reminder that capitals = shouting.

Notwithstanding the acceptance that upper case = shouting, the main problem is that paragraphs of upper case are so difficult to read. I understand that the reason lower case was developed during the Middle Ages was to address this issue.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral