Forums
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Help to identify the uniform - 2nd Nov 2011 11:12pm
We have been sorting through some old family photographs and came across this one from about 1930.

Just wondered if anyone could identify the uniform please?

Attached picture scan0001.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help to identify the uniform - 2nd Nov 2011 11:16pm
I immediately thought bus/tram drivers, any chance of higher resolution pictures of the hat badges or buttons?

Is that "DG" on the lapel of the left man.

Interesting site HERE
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Help to identify the uniform - 2nd Nov 2011 11:50pm
Yes, we thought bus/tram/train as well.

The chap on the left has DG on his lapel as does the guy right of centre who is looking up at the microphone.

The unidentified family member is the guy with his hand raised, he has HG on his lapel and the two people on the extreme right have different letters on theirs (The chap on the very right hand side seems to have the letters IS.)

We have a couple of other pictures of the family member wearing the uniform but this one shows the greatest detail of the uniform
Posted By: Colgo Re: Help to identify the uniform - 2nd Nov 2011 11:59pm
The DG shoulder title is for The band of the Dragoon Guards,I can't make out the regimental cap badges. Hope this helps.
HG is Home Guard
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 12:06am
DG is an unusual abbreviation to use on any uniform because of the Dragoon Guards, but then, HG could stand for Horse Guards (though that is not a common abbreviation the DG). Could this be a guards veteran society?

Posted By: poodlepup Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 12:11am
Mmm interesting,two different style of caps and badges,if only we could getter a better picture of the cap badge!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 12:24am
Home Guards only came in at WW2.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 12:51am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Home Guards only came in at WW2.

Good Point !
Posted By: Nomad Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 1:37am
Hi [ep[s, good site to try

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 8:39am
Another image here, could it be a merchant navy uniform?

Attached picture scan0001.jpg
Posted By: FamilyGuy Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 11:14am
I was (until recently serving) in the Royal Dragoon Guards and have a little knowledge of historical stuff). I don't think this is military uniform, as there appears to be no rankinsignia. Futhermore, I don't recognise the badge as a cavalry unit's (present or last century).

Hope this helps(!)

(Looks like railways workers having fun on the radio to me!)
Posted By: Helles Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 11:58am
Badges are different. It is possible they are merchant seamen radio operators hence the microphone although they would have used Morse at the time. Definitely not military or postmen.
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 12:47pm
I think they are a choir or even bell ringers. Diocesan Guild of bell ringers (DG) founded in 1887.The vase in the middle looks like a prize,maybe a works choir but I will carry on looking.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 6:37pm
They're not Merchant Navy, they could be bus or tram staff. The different cap badges could mean driver or conductor?
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Help to identify the uniform - 3rd Nov 2011 7:02pm
This is the uniform of the Birkenhead Bus Transport Male Voice Choir. The one in the front wagging his finger is the Conductor!! :-)
Posted By: hoseman Re: Help to identify the uniform - 5th Nov 2011 2:15pm
My tuppence worth now.
I think either Railway or Bus/Tram employees!!
The cap badge on the rear guy has the outline of either a steam train or a high roof tram. The letters on the right lapels are their positions (DG..Driver/Guard)
The ones on their left lapels are actually numbers IS is infact 15, theres also a 37 visible!!
Tunics are not military and the buttons close up dont resemble any ive seen. Ive been collecting Military uniforms for years now!
Definatly Civilian!!
Posted By: Brown_Horrocks Re: Help to identify the uniform - 17th Nov 2011 8:09am
Just a quick update, further research has uncovered the fact that we had an ancester who was a Dock gate keeper for the MDHC.

We are guessing that the uniform is related to that line of work
Posted By: bri445 Re: Help to identify the uniform - 17th Nov 2011 10:23am
I think you are right. Here are a couple of photos of their uniform (Port at War book) and buttons (e-bay) showing the resemblance. Also, the DG could mean 'Dock Gate' policeman.
Bri

Attached picture law_43.jpg
Attached picture $(KGrHqMOKnQE4TG9ws7TBORqpMDQqg~~0_12.jpg
Attached picture $(KGrHqJ,!i!E4)Tw)17QBORqpHCRcg~~0_12.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral