Forums
Posted By: lemonhead toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 7:38pm
can anyone tell me what the name of the toy shop in liscard was, it was where wetherspoons is now, im having a spat with the wife over it, i hope it wasnt Toys R Us think
Posted By: katej Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 7:53pm
It was a safeway where weatherspoons is, the toy shop was on seaview road, by Lauries and I think it was called Toners!!
Posted By: paulph1972 Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:10pm
Treasure Island by Weathersppons and Toners round the corner
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:12pm
Yes, it was Safeway then Netto (48 Wallasey Road). There is also "Toys 2 Go" that has had two other addresses on Wallasey Road but not 48
Posted By: amaterasu Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:12pm
There was a toy shop where wetherspoons is now - it might have had the word Treasure in its title - it was next door to what was an electrical store - either Currys or Rumbelows ...flippin 'eck my memory is shocking!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:20pm
And there was a "Pets R Us" that had to change its name in that vicinity, but not at 48 Wallasey Road
Posted By: paulph1972 Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:20pm
Originally Posted by amaterasu
There was a toy shop where wetherspoons is now - it might have had the word Treasure in its title - it was next door to what was an electrical store - either Currys or Rumbelows ...flippin 'eck my memory is shocking!!

see above, x thai by wetherspoons whistle
Posted By: amaterasu Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:22pm
Originally Posted by paulph1972
Originally Posted by amaterasu

see above, x thai by wetherspoons whistle

I'm a very slow typer laugh
Posted By: paulph1972 Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:25pm
oops sorry blush
Posted By: Geekus Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:28pm
Am I the only one who remembers 'Youngsters' toy shop which used to be above the Gas showrooms, opposite Bookland?

oldman
Posted By: lemonhead Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 8:56pm
Originally Posted by geekus
Am I the only one who remembers 'Youngsters' toy shop which used to be above the Gas showrooms, opposite Bookland?

oldman

bookland its all flooding back now,
Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 9:21pm
Youngsters - yes I remember that. Think it was where Ladbrokes is now or maybe next door where bank is.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 9:22pm
I loved Bookland as a kid. Wasn't it two shops in one? A bookshop and a stationary shop? Any idea when that and Toners closed?
Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 9:31pm
Think the electrical store was Rumbelows, and it might have been called 'Strothers' before that
Posted By: Geekus Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 9:36pm
Originally Posted by Touchstone
Wasn't it two shops in one? A bookshop and a stationary shop?

oldman

Yes, Bookland was two shops in one. Both of them had their own shop entrances but, once inside, you could walk straight through from one to the other. The stationers sold, fancy pens, greetings cards, artist materials, and toys like jigsaws and Airfix models. Was always a nice shop to go into at Christmas.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 9:40pm
It's really sad how much Liscard has gone downhill in the past 20 years. Only bookies, pound shops and takeaways these days.
Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 29th Aug 2011 9:44pm
Where the newsagents is now used to be a sweat shop with an old fashioned 'anything for the week-end sir' barbers at the back of the shop
Posted By: lemonhead Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 6:36am
i always remember John Menzies, im sure Kenny Dalglish was there one day, i must have been about 8 or 9 then
Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 8:02am
John Menzies had a toy department upstairs I think. Does anyone remember the sports shop Kenny? Campbell's
Posted By: Helles Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 8:09am
Originally Posted by smithersjones
Where the newsagents is now used to be a sweat shop with an old fashioned 'anything for the week-end sir' barbers at the back of the shop

Get everywhere these foreigners! laugh
Posted By: Geekus Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 10:16am
Originally Posted by smithersjones
John Menzies had a toy department upstairs I think. Does anyone remember the sports shop Kenny? Campbell's

Was Kenny Campbell's the one between Bookland and Safeways?

In my day, the upstairs of John Menzies was always the record department. The main shops where you could buy toys from were Woolies, Toners, Youngsters, Bookland, and the Model Shop behind Woolies.

It's easy to forget now how many great shops there used to be in Liscard, including Marks & Spencer, Littlewoods, Safeways, Woolworths, Boots, John Menzies, and a decent sized Tesco. There are some old photies of Liscard on some of the other history threads on wiki, including pictures of the Co-op department store.
Posted By: Geekus Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 10:34am

oldman

Here's one of the links from earlier threads concerning just some of the many shops which once existed in Wallasey Road:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...hopping_In_Wallasey_Road.html#Post428401

...and another more general one on shopping in Liscard Village:

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/417426/Shopping_In_Liscard.html#Post417426

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 10:51am
Peter toners on seaview rd was a fab shop, used to get all my scalextric cars from there smile
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 10:58am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Peter toners on seaview rd was a fab shop, used to get all my scalextric cars from there smile

Ste is that where the nail salon place is now and was a vicy wine at one point, if so i'm sure he had a video shop back in the late 80's early 90's think he called it Diamond Video
Posted By: Geekus Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 11:06am
Tandy's near The Towers pub was mainly for music equipment but also used to sell some toys like radio control cars.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 11:12am
Originally Posted by Nelzy84

Ste is that where the nail salon place is now and was a vicy wine at one point, if so i'm sure he had a video shop back in the late 80's early 90's think he called it Diamond Video

Not too sure bud, if I want anything now I get it online as too busy with work lol so not been down that way shopping for a while.
Posted By: DixieD Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 12:01pm
Aww Treasure Island was the best Toy Shop ever, originally it was just along from Tescos (where Home and Bargain is now) in the Cherry Tree but did move to where Wetherspoons is now at a later date. This thread is bringing back so many memories of a really great shopping centre, such a shame it has gone so down hill frown
Posted By: Nelzy84 Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 1:02pm

Not too sure bud, if I want anything now I get it online as too busy with work lol so not been down that way shopping for a while.

Don't think there is much left there now mate, dads garage is around the cornor from there i know there has been a few armed raids there in the past (offy and postie) probably scared them all away Liscard has died a death aswell, online shopping is the way forward.

There is a new Smyths toys opened across the road from work, it's boss spot on for all the littlins presents smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 1:58pm
Toner's was great! Used to get my bikes from there.

His wife, Pat, still plays tennis down at Wallasey
Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 2:13pm
Kenny Campbells was along by where Chutneys is now which was near the old fire station.
I think the model shop behnd woolies was part of 'Exchange and Mart' shop?
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 2:53pm
I remember getting little boxes of lego from Toners. Was it next door to the Coffee Roast? I'm sure it was at the end of a block.

Does anyone remember Leicesters on Wallasey Road? Art/ stationery. Reading about the lovely double Bookland shop reminded me.

I used to get my hair cut in the barbers next door, through the newsagents.

The toy dept in the Co-op was wonderful at Christmas time. I'd forgotten about Treasure Island and Youngsters (yellow plastic bags with red lettering??)

Went onto street view, Google maps just now. How depressing - tattoos and piercings on Seaview Road as well as all the other bargain type places already referred too. Rose-tinted spectacles are a wonderful thing, as is 20-20 hindsight!
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 3:05pm
PS wasn't the model shop in Liscard Crescent called the Hobby Shop? Don't remember it having anything to do with Exchange and Mart. Kenny Campbell's - round the corner, same side as the main Post Office.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 3:36pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse
I remember getting little boxes of lego from Toners. Was it next door to the Coffee Roast? I'm sure it was at the end of a block.

It's now a Tattoo place if I remember rightly. Pretty sure it was next door to Lauries, to the left.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 3:43pm
If only there was a website that tells the story of "Shopping In Wallasey'.

If only...

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/Shopping_In_Wallasey_Index/index.html
Posted By: Roslynmuse Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 3:51pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

If only...

Wonderful!

thanks for the link.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 4:25pm
Originally Posted by Roslynmuse

If only...

Wonderful!

thanks for the link.

Thats ok...its only in my signature!!
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 5:50pm
I loved Bookland and Strothers.
Posted By: lemonhead Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 5:50pm

hey ste

i used to get my pellets and targets for my gat gun form Toners thumbsup i was only about 13 or 14 how times have changed
Posted By: Touchstone Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 6:39pm

Do you mean at the top end of Seaview Road by Hose Side Road. There was a video shop there till the mid-1990s. It was were the model train shop vacated a few months ago. I think prior to that it was right at the top of Malpas Road next door to Victoria Wine.

I used to live near there. Late 80s early 90s there were lots of shops - Post Office, 2 butchers, 2 greengrocers, hardware shop, florists, general shop etc. Now they're mostly empty.
Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 9:04pm
I used to live near Hose-side as wellThere was also a little electric shop next to where the model shop is/was. I remember that shop also being a womans clothes shop - Lynn Leslie or something??
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: toy shop - 30th Aug 2011 10:49pm
There was also a video shop opposite asda, near to the zebra crossing, cannot remember the name of it but we used to go in there to play the arcade game `final fight` lol.

Theres nothing in liscard anymore, it`s all gone now, only place i`ve been to in the last few years was gamestation about 2 months ago and even they didn`t have what i wanted, i got the game off Markee from here on wiki.

Wasn`t there a big toys r us or something like that where weatherspoons is now? Was also a rumbelows store and sainsburys at some point if i remember correctly?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: toy shop - 31st Aug 2011 12:30am
yeah my mate worked at rumbelows upto closing. got a £ 300 sony hifi for £30 coz connecting ribbon cables missing. got em for £16 in Sony shop. they had a repair center next to the bronze off wallasey rd.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: toy shop - 31st Aug 2011 7:54am
There was also a video shop opposite asda, near to the zebra crossing, cannot remember the name of it but we used to go in there to play the arcade game `final fight` lol.

I remember that video shop. It opened around 1990. I remember the day it opened. The Teenage Mutant Turtles were meant to be turning up. They did but were an hour late and dressed in the crappest costumes possible. Quite a few disappointed children.

There were some good arcade games in there though. Final Fight, Willow, TMHT etc. That place was always full of Oldershaw kids wasting their pocket money.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: toy shop - 31st Aug 2011 9:48am
Originally Posted by Touchstone

Do you mean at the top end of Seaview Road by Hose Side Road. There was a video shop there till the mid-1990s. It was were the model train shop vacated a few months ago. I think prior to that it was right at the top of Malpas Road next door to Victoria Wine.

I used to live near there. Late 80s early 90s there were lots of shops - Post Office, 2 butchers, 2 greengrocers, hardware shop, florists, general shop etc. Now they're mostly empty.

I'm relatively young at 25 but I remember the video shop with the XXX part at the back through the curtain that I always used to sneak into.

The greengrocers isn't that long gone and they did open up a few years running to do Christmas Trees. Lovely couple they were. I used to enjoy my walks with my mum up that way, picking up our order from the butchers and some fresh fruit.

Posted By: smithersjones Re: toy shop - 31st Aug 2011 9:59am
Just remebered one of the off licences near hose side road used to be a mini Tesco years ago. The one on the corner of Queensway.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: toy shop - 31st Aug 2011 6:08pm
Originally Posted by Nobody

I'm relatively young at 25 but I remember the video shop with the XXX part at the back through the curtain that I always used to sneak into.

The greengrocers isn't that long gone and they did open up a few years running to do Christmas Trees. Lovely couple they were. I used to enjoy my walks with my mum up that way, picking up our order from the butchers and some fresh fruit.

Which greengrocers do you mean? I think there were 2. The one that's sort of still there but all shut up or the one closer to Malpas Road maybe where Mr. Barber is now? The guy who ran the latter one was a huge fella with a big moustache. A rabid Liverpool fan. Always used to shout at me when I went passed saying Everton fans wern't allowed in the shop. All in good humour of course. Really nice fella.
Posted By: Tatey Re: toy shop - 1st Sep 2011 6:40am

If only...

That would be a good idea!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral