Forums
Hi it's my second request for this subject , but new people are viewing all the time...I lived at number 8 Banning Street in the 50's and would love to see a photo of the area..i know it's long gone but somebody may have some pix...
Thanks.
A few photos of the Banning Street Clearance Area taken in 1975...

Description: Banning Street from Beckwith Street
Attached picture Banning_Street_from_Beckwith_Street.jpg

Description: Banning Street from Newton Street
Attached picture Banning_Street_from_Newton_Street.jpg

Description: 155-177 Beckwith Street
Attached picture Beckwith_Street_155-177.jpg

Description: Newton Street
Attached picture Newton_Street_from_Vittoria_Street.jpg

Description: Keightley Street from Beckwith Street
Attached picture Keightly_Street_from_Beckwith_street.jpg

Description: Keightley Street from Conway Street
Attached picture Keightly_Street_from_Conway_Street.jpg
Thank you so very much!!
Marty have just viewed photos posted and wondered if you have the block in Beckwith Street containing 139 an old family address Regards Astra
Sorry, don't think so.
Great photos, do u have any of School Place.
Don't think so. I haven't got many of the Watson Street area at all.
Hi,
Can anyone tell me about the shop on the end of Banning Street,
the one owned by G Weaver?
Does anyone know what was sold there?
Any info on G Weaver himself?
Thanks.
Lyn. blush
hya ! my aunty lived in no 43
My Dad said a woman named Molly King lived in one of these streets, and sadly died very young in tragic circumstances. Anyone remember her?
Thanks a million for posting these amazing photos!....We lived in Banning Street no 31 and all went to St Laurences Church and School.We are McGinn's. Would love to hear from anyone else who went to St Laurences or lived around this area.
Thanks again for bringing a bit of nostalgia to a rainy afternoon smile
I lived in 157 Beckwith Street at the time this pic was taken, we left in 1976,happy days
Hi there MD do you remember a kenny hannagin who lived at 167 cleverland st
I recall a Jimmy Hanaghan from Queensbury Gardens, but not a kenny.. sorry
Hi yes jimmy is kennys cousin .ken was my best mate in the late 60s but we lost touch just wondering if he was still on the wirral
I notice you mention Jimmy Hannigan, the Hannigan family were cousins of my Dad. I have a Wedding photo of my Mum & Dad with his Best Man who I was told is a John or Jimmy Hannigan. ASs Mum and Dad have long since passed away....I would love to know what his name is....photo taken in 1940 at St Laurence's Church.Birkenhead.
Any one who knew the Hannigan Family would you take a look and confirm is he John or Jimmy?
Thanks a million
Hi there netty I don't think this is the jimmy Hannigan I know who's the cousin of kenny ....kenny would be about 59/60 now and jimmy would be about 57/58
Hi Geoff,
Maybe not....that would be too young for it to be Dads cousin and Best Man. Its such a fab photo, in fact there are several with John or Jimmy on them.I dont know if the Hannigan guy ever married.
Just thought Id ask out and see if anyone could solve the mystery or maybe wants to see the photo. Thanks Geoff.
George Weaver on corner of Banning street was a bookies ie, betting shop his brother Billy Weaver had a bookies in Exmouth street.I know this because i worked for Bert Ashman a bookies in Bentinck street and had reason to visit these shops in the early 1960's
Thankyou for that information. I have loved looking at these photographs.As I've written before,I didn't know part of my family came from the area. It's great to be able to see it.
Lyn.
Old post I know but I lived at no 36 and remember your family. Have lived out of the UK for a long while. Came back to visit last year, Banning Street gone, St Laurence's school and church gone and also St Winifred's school gone. Nothing left of the 21 years I lived in Birkenhead.
Billy Weaver was a friend of mine and he used to take bets in the sweet shop/cafe his Mum had in Exmouth st but he was a bookies runner and became a bookmaker when he opened a betting office in Tranmere. I remember Bert Ashman well as he was a customer in the Lord Exmouth where I lived.
I don't seem to be able to open any of these photos from the whole index - it says 'I do not have access' - does anyone know why please ? Thanks.
Originally Posted by drumgarron
I don't seem to be able to open any of these photos from the whole index - it says 'I do not have access' - does anyone know why please ? Thanks.

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/subscriptions.html
© Wirral-Wikiwirral