Forums
Posted By: millhill Carved name on Bidston Hill - 16th Jul 2011 8:34am
Hello there , can anyone shed any light on the carving in the stone near to the windmill on Bidston Hill. It is not your usual kids graffiti scratched into the rock but a very proffesional and old carved name finished in bold itallic writing . the name is JAMES WHITTAKER and it has something written under neath it but cant make it out . Can anyone please shed any light on this and what the history is behind the name or person . Many thanks . Chris
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 16th Jul 2011 8:42am
TC(Transcentral)knows all there is to know about Bidston Hill.
He did tell me about the carvings on a Wiki Walk but,sadley the info' didn't stick with me!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 16th Jul 2011 9:49am
Hmm, interesting. think
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 16th Jul 2011 10:11am
Most of the graffiti I have seen both carved into the rocks and also to the inside of the windmill, are old style writing with serifs and sometimes Italics. It's just the way people wrote back then, they even took care to write properly when scribbling on rocks, always amazed me that. I have seen some really old graffiti in places and it always makes me smile.
Posted By: Rhoobarb Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 16th Jul 2011 12:45pm
There's loads of names carved in that style on the Sandstone trail if you start at the Frodsham end.
Posted By: annette Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 18th Jul 2011 9:29pm
My husband,says its the name of the miller, he found it when he was a boy, but has never been able to find it since,
Posted By: millhill Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 20th Jul 2011 11:31am
its just on the right after the mill when heading to the observatory . you will pass two benches and it is approx 50 mtrs away from the windmill .
Posted By: millhill Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 20th Jul 2011 11:31am
what is the sandstone trail ? does it run from frodsham to bidston
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Carved name on Bidston Hill - 20th Jul 2011 5:41pm
No, the other direction, starts at Frodsham and meanders to Shropshie.

CLICKY
© Wirral-Wikiwirral