Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 9:43pm
i was chatting to a freinds dad the other night and we got talking about our dislike for big corporate supermarkets (odd topic i know) and he mentioned when that when he was younger there was an 'experimental' supermarket in moreton for a short while.

He said you walked around collecting labels or cards of the products you wanted, then went and handed the tickets in, you then waited and your groceries were brought out to you bagged.

Can anyone shed any light on this please ?
Posted By: ad3000 Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 9:57pm
hmm.
wonder why it never caught on?
Posted By: oitsnik Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 9:58pm
Im pretty sure that was in Liscard cant think of the name of the shop tho?
Posted By: oitsnik Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 10:01pm
Scotts supermarket,There you go a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUVtb8uLNOc

[youtube]ZUVtb8uLNOc[/youtube]
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 10:04pm
bloody hell that was quick , thank you smile

so it was liscard, il send him the link,

thanks again

wiki people never cease to amaze me thumbsup
Posted By: ad3000 Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 10:17pm
An intriguing concept, a sort of early Argos, but easy to see why it never took off.
Although on the plus side, it made shoplifting a bit of a non-starter!
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 10:28pm
This was in Moreton as stated at the start, it was the large building next to the Gas show rooms and opposite Timpson's (think Timpson's is a tattoo place now !) but if you look out of the shop window at the start of the film you can just see Timpson's opposite). It later became Julian Swift and I think the Kwik Save had it at one time (as well as it being split up and Ethel Austins taking over part of it).
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 11th May 2011 10:43pm
Scotts Supermarket , then Safeways , then Nettos & now The Clairville.
Posted By: Quank Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 7:17am
I remember the shop and have been telling local friends about it for years, but none of them remember and thought I was making it up. I had forgotten the name though.
It was Moreton, it was 268 Hoylake Road, where Ethel Ausin is now. My mum used it a few times but wasn't that impressed.
Amazed that there is a video clip of it, I can now prove I wasn't making it up!
Posted By: daveybm Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 7:37am
Although the video clip has this as Liscard, if you check on the Google Earth street view of Hoylake Road you will see it is clear it is the old Ethel Austin Shop.

Dave
Posted By: Helles Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 8:33am
There was an argos type shop (could have been argos for all I know) right opposite Iceland in Moreton, so maybe that is what he is on about or getting it confused between that and the Liscard supermarket?
Posted By: Fatfairy Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 9:34am
My nan said it was woolies opposite iceland
Posted By: Helles Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 10:29am
Originally Posted by Fatfairy

And your Nan is correct but then it became an Argos or similar.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 10:43am
vaguely remember in early 70s by what is/was kwiksave a school more or less where the carpark was a school which became a place for signing on dole so I was told.
Also think there was an ex-catalogue shop which may have been
before or after where Woolworths was.
Posted By: Stegga Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 11:24am
Not quite old enough to remember the store but the pics show it's definately Moreton and not Liscard.
Strangely, i met my ex-wife at that very bus stop. sick

Attached picture ea1.JPG
Attached picture scotts.JPG
Posted By: Stegga Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 11:31am
Originally Posted by Helles
Originally Posted by Fatfairy

And your Nan is correct but then it became an Argos or similar.

The catalog shop in the old Woolies building in Moreton was called Shoppers World, almost opposite where Iceland is now. It was almost a forerunner for Argos with exactly the same principle of buying goods. Was sent there on numerous occasions for stuff, including a wall picture my mum still has in her house now.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 11:44am
Yes it was Moreton. We used to run around there and change the cards around.

I wonder why they went out of busines...
Posted By: Quank Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 6:49pm
The 2nd store mentioned, Woolworths, was opposite where Iceland is now. Before Iceland it was Victor Value, which I think was part of Tesco. The Woolies became Shoppers World which was the catalogue type store referred to, an early form of Argos.
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 8:38pm
If i remember rightly was there a rumbellows electrical shop on that block too.Also has any body on here tried Heidis Discount Store opposite the black horse in Wallasey Village,some really good deals going on there only opened last week ,call in and see for youself a bit like the old Rake Lane Discount shop well before the pound lands took over
Posted By: Quank Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 9:00pm
Rumbelows was on that stretch before finally closing. It was next to where Boots is now. Originally the company was called Strothers and was on Hoylake Road on the corner of Chadwick Street. Downstairs was Hoovers, Washing Machines etc and upstairs was the record department. I bought my 1st single there "Flowers in the Rain" by the Move!. It was 2/11d! They changed to Rumbelows and moved up the hill.
Posted By: Fatfairy Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 12th May 2011 9:38pm
before it was woolies it was the dole, apparently my nan used to meet my feckless father there and take his money off him to give to my mum and in those days they let her, haha
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: unusuall store in moreton around 60's - 15th May 2011 2:22pm
There are two issues here, there was a shop called "Shoppers World" that was the same idea as Argos, a catalogue store that you selected the stock from a book then went to a counter and bought it, this was owned by Woolworth's and was in the old Woolworth's store in Moreton. The one mentioned above in the film clip was, as stated above, in Moreton, as can be seen from the photo's above NOT Liscard where Neto was (now a pub / bar) but where the Ethal Austin store was.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral