Forums
does anyone have any old pictures of the above. Used to go to the rose gardens in Plymyard house when I was little. The house got knocked down in the 70's. The Heys I think was knocked down late 60's.
If you have any luck I would be very interested. I grew up in Princes Avenue but have lived in Western Australia since the early 70's on a return trip I was so disappointed to see such a memorable building had disappeared. Not ALL of my memories of it are good ones. In early 50's I went there for inoculations and still have a fear of dentist and the masks used by anaesthetic's after attending the dentist there
If you mean the Heys Eastham I have pictures from circa 1915 as it was my great grandparents house
Please post some, and welcome to wiki mollymoo
Originally Posted by PrincesAv1950s
If you have any luck I would be very interested. I grew up in Princes Avenue but have lived in Western Australia since the early 70's on a return trip I was so disappointed to see such a memorable building had disappeared. Not ALL of my memories of it are good ones. In early 50's I went there for inoculations and still have a fear of dentist and the masks used by anaesthetic's after attending the dentist there

I have the same memories as you - lived in Woodyear Rd till early sixties till we too left for Australia. and also remember the dentist etc. We found a window which wouldn't lock and used to get into the house as kids to explore (no damage done tho' in those days) we did find a cupboard full of the orange juice they used to give us. Also found the funeral room complete with the coffin trolley and frightened ourselves to death. I too was devastated to find it demolished and the Bridle Path a "REAL" road. I also hope someone has photos of what was a beautiful place.
I grew up in Princes Av in the 60's - and us kids used to play in the gardens around the place. Know what you mean about it being scary - we used to wind ourselves up something silly looking for ghosts! Always respected the cemetery though.

I know my mum has some photos of me and my sister with the house in the background taken roughly from where the 'Ha-ha' wall was (is). Remember that? Can't get them anytime soon, but will ask next time I'm back home. I have got a plan and elevation of the house though (about 1890s?) - I'll try to scan it and post it up.

Good luck with finding any other photos - loved it round there.
Couple of bits of information.

First is a short piece from 'The Builder' dated Jun 29th 1889, describing the materials and decor of the house.

The next two are from the same periodical and show i) The elevations of the house (plus plan, as well as the gates - (still there, I think)) and ii) the plan and elevations of the stables, as well as the lodge house (also still there facing the A41?).

Finally, there is an aerial view from the 70's - the rose gardens mentioned in the previous posts can easily be seen as the nearly square dark outline on the right middle of the photo.

Hope they're all of interest.

Description: Builder 29th Jun 1889
Attached picture PlymyardHouseBuilder.JPG

Description: Plymyard House Elevations
Attached picture PlymyardHouseElev.jpg

Description: Plymyard House Outbuildings
Attached picture PlymyardHouseOutbuildings.JPG

Description: Plymyard Aerial 1970s
Attached picture plymyard house aerialcr.JPG
From 'Old Bebington' by Dave Mitchelson

Attached picture Plymyard House.jpg
I went to the Plymyard allotment show last week and they had some old photos of Plymyard house, and it made me realise what a shame they knocked it down. I remember it being scary when it was used for funerals. I remember the mounting steps outside for the gentry getting on their horses. I lived in Bridle Road, and when my kids where little, I couldn't sleep and heard galloping hooves coming up the road. Remebering my mums story of the "headless horseman" I froze daring to look out of the window I saw the horses had got loose from the field. Now it is a Doctors and Bridle Road is a race track.
Thanks for those pictures by the way. How times change.
Yes please Mollymoo some pics of the Heyes would be great.
Me and my big sis on the 'ha-ha' wall in about '65 with Plymyard House in the background - the rose garden would have been just out of shot to the right.

Plus another from a postcard.

Attached picture PlymyardHouse001m.jpg
Attached picture PlymyardHouse002m.jpg
brilliant I remember sitting in those arches at the front I think they had bit stone seats. Thanks for those. I must have a look and see what I have got.

Diane
Hello my father in law who isn't good on the Internet is looking for pictures of the heyes house, I tried to open the downloads but it won't let me
Could someone help out?!
Hi Lena, you have to subscribe to wiki to enable you to open attachments. If you look on active topics page at the box on the left that says forumn tips you will see membership . Click on that and it tells you all the info . Hope that helps.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral