Forums
Posted By: Erainn Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 30th Jan 2011 3:22pm
Was it just me, or back in those days did New Brighton (NB)seem like another nation entirely, compared to Birkenhead? I recall waiting to catch a bus, (was it a number 9?) to NB, did they still have those very pale cream buses in 1972/73? They were cleatrly very different, had a look of desert camouflage about them. May well have been travelling to Florence, apart from that city did not have Brummie holiday makers sitting on deck chairs surround by oil stained rocks looking at passing tankers saying 'grate ere aint it' smile Yes NB still attracted the tourists in those days.
Posted By: georgehayes Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 30th Jan 2011 5:01pm
I Remember when i was a kid they used to say if you dropped a
penny in Wallasey you had to kick it all the way home to
Birkenhead you could not bend down to pick it up as you were taking a chance ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 30th Jan 2011 5:14pm
Originally Posted by georgehayes
I Remember when i was a kid they used to say if you dropped a
penny in Wallasey you had to kick it all the way home to
Birkenhead you could not bend down to pick it up as you were taking a chance ?

Unlikely anyone from Birkenhead dropping a penny cos we all know it would of hit them on the back of the head in their quickness to pick it up!!!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 30th Jan 2011 6:59pm
Not me, it had already been spent on McGowan's Highland toffee :)) now there's a memory.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 1:24pm
..think it was a 9,10, or 11 bus that went up to New Brighton in those days - least ways over Duke St.

Don't know about comparisons with Florence. Venice, more like, seeing as the river used to smell so much! Much better now, of course.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 1:34pm
Ah yes the Venice of the North, although Birmingham clais that too smile

So twas the Number 9/10, glad to know my fragmentary memory is holding up, just.

As to stinking rivers, surely you mean that one the Number 28 used to go over, en route to Bromborough, near Lever Brothers. What a foul aroma that kicked out, during those days.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 2:08pm
I think the nr 9 went to Seacombe. Deffo 10 and 11 to NB. The Wallasey bus colour was billed as pea green I think.
Posted By: Helles Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 2:20pm
Yellow.

Attached picture bus.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 2:27pm
Originally Posted by Erainn

As to stinking rivers, surely you mean that one the Number 28 used to go over, en route to Bromborough, near Lever Brothers. What a foul aroma that kicked out, during those days.

That's Bromborough Pool. I agree about the smell but I don't think it was from the water, rather from Lever's factory. You usually smelled it there because of the prevailing westerly wind, but if the wind was from the East, you smelled it over Bebington.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 2:33pm
The Mersey was an open sewer in those days. The rocks at New Brighton were more grey than green, and you took your life in your hands if you went in for as much as a paddle. I repeat - 'paddle', not piddle!!

At least you can walk on the beach now without having to wade through fat-balls. And by fat-balls I mean balls of fat, not swollen gonads...!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 2:58pm
I seem to recall that water as being a bright toxic green colour, as seen from the top deck of the bus.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:00pm
I definitely recall seeing coaches from the Midlands in NB and folks on deck-chairs taking in the view of passing tankers. Bondai Beach eat yer heart out smile
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:01pm
Great photo, that was the livery alright, they were amazing buses and hopping aboad definitely added to the sense of visiting a different land smile I think they changed their colour a touch, as I remember them as looking more like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/3831403632/in/photostream/
Posted By: Geekus Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:14pm
Nude Brighton always was very popular, but things went a bit down hill after the tower grounds fire, and the pulling down of the pier.

You'll finds lots of stuff on old N.B, Erainn, just by looking at the history threads on Wiki. Although you know what they say about nostalgia don't you? It's not what it used to be...
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:21pm
Originally Posted by geekus
The Mersey was an open sewer in those days. The rocks at New Brighton were more grey than green, and you took your life in your hands if you went in for as much as a paddle. I repeat - 'paddle', not piddle!!

At least you can walk on the beach now without having to wade through fat-balls. And by fat-balls I mean balls of fat, not swollen gonads...!
As a young nipper I used to paddle in the Mersey by the pier. One time I came across a condom which I thought was balloon and yes ( remember I said I was very young ) I tried to blow it up. Etched in my memory.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:22pm
Never look back unless your'e travelling backwards.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:42pm
Ooooo...

..bet you also thought it was the seaweed and algae that made your feet slip on the rocks?!
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 3:44pm
haha, not much marine life on rocks at NB in those days
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 4:17pm
Originally Posted by softshoes
Originally Posted by geekus

As a young nipper I used to paddle in the Mersey by the pier. One time I came across a condom which I thought was balloon and yes ( remember I said I was very young ) I tried to blow it up. Etched in my memory.
raftl we told our kids that the condoms were 'snakeskins'. Got away with it for years. Lol.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 4:18pm
Never look back unless your'e travelling backwards.
I like that....but am guilty.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 4:25pm
I lived on Ormiston Rd ( just above Vaughan Rd ) and about aged 10 I left the house only to see a rat running up the road I took chase and caught up to it on Sandrich Rd. I cornered it and tried to grab it. It turned and bit me. Put me in the Victoria Hozzy for 4 weeks.. My B in L called it The Mark of the Beast.
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 4:26pm
Yes the Mersey was certainly a river of life.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 5:21pm
According to that famous quote by Carl Jung - 'Liverpool is the pool of life'. But I think that even he would have admitted that back then the River Mersey was a lot more like The Dead Sea.
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 5:33pm
My Brother in Law used to live in Serpentine Road, he and his brother used to swim in the Mersey by the old landing stage. He had fond recollections of Mersey Tadpoles, aka bits of untreated faeces floating by. Never did him any harm!
Posted By: Helles Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 5:47pm
Originally Posted by Martin1943
My Brother in Law used to live in Serpentine Road, he and his brother used to swim in the Mersey by the old landing stage. He had fond recollections of Mersey Tadpoles, aka bits of untreated faeces floating by. Never did him any harm!

I used to swim in it all the time as well. Never did me any harm once I got over the polio! Only joking about the polio. Turds used to float by and condoms by the score. Bit daft really because most people had real fires in those days and it would have been better burning them than putting down the bog. I remember one little lad picking one up by the pier. His father frantically telling him to put it down and him wanting to know what was wrong with the balloon.

The great thing these days is that you can actually see mullet swimming about in the river. Never saw anything like that in my childhood.
Posted By: Helles Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 5:50pm
Great photo, that was the livery alright, they were amazing buses and hopping aboad definitely added to the sense of visiting a different land smile I think they changed their colour a touch, as I remember them as looking more like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/3831403632/in/photostream/

You are correct but that is a painting or a print so artistic licence I suppose. They went green and cream when MPTE took over I think?
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 6:19pm
Sure, a sort of pale desert yellow as far as I can recall. certainly exotic compared to MPTE
Posted By: bert1 Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 6:27pm
Some pics stolen from here
http://www.fotolibra.com/gallery/70033/seacombe-tram-wallasey-corporation/

Attached picture 70030-atlantean-bus-wallasey-corporation.jpg
Attached picture 70033-seacombe-tram-wallasey-corporation.jpg
Attached picture 70105-2-open-top-double-deckerswallasey.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 6:55pm
For the bus lovers

[youtube]kuHP0V60PjU[/youtube]
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 7:00pm
Brilliant smile

Wonderful archive footage, grand to see Woodside Station.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 8:11pm
All good stuff Bert. Thanks for that. Great to see "real" buses again.

Tight hold. Ding ding!
Posted By: bri445 Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 9:05pm
Remember the jokey Birkenhead conductor, used to say 'HOLD me TIGHT'?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 9:05pm
Great pics Bert,thankyou!
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 31st Jan 2011 9:34pm
The old story about the bus colours was that the painters asked what the colour should be. They were referred to the then Director, whose name was Mr Green. They were told "See green". So they painted the bus fleet in Sea Green, (not Pea green as someone else suggested).
Regarding the "Kick your keys into Wallasey" An unfortunate discovery of the then Mayor of Birkenhead revealed his sexual orientation to be what we now call Gay. He claimed his activities in a field, observed by the police, were entirely innocent as "He was looking for his car keys". He was not generally believed!
Posted By: masterbun Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 5th Feb 2011 12:37pm
Birkenhead was Birkenhead and Wallsaey was Wallasey.
The both had great civic pride as well as their own busses, police, fire, ambulances etc. There was always a friendly rivalry between them. They added colour - blue and yellow for the busses.
I do remember that there was a great anger when both boroughs were abolished and lumped in with that place on the other side of the Mersey (Merseyside)
Tell me if out of order
Posted By: Erainn Re: Crossing The Border To New Brighton - 5th Feb 2011 12:46pm
Your recollections on that are accurate, there was indeed discontent about the 'amalgamation' and loss of distinct Boroughs
© Wirral-Wikiwirral