Forums
Posted By: leelad03 Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 4:21pm
I have just got into Metal Detecting, and i have no idea what exact location i could go and try out! id love to find anything ww2, roman, victorian. i have not found anything yet when both times i have been around Childwall and new brighton by the lighthouse. didnt find a thing lol. But id love someone to give me some advice on where to try? I have tried to find things online but not exact locations! i know i would also need permission but that would come after i have any locations to go to!
Thanks
Lee
Posted By: lansyp Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 5:05pm
hi mate there was talk of there being an old port off meols.vikings used to use it may be worth researching also a friend of mine used to go up around saughall in chester though dont think it was ligit but he did find musket balls and a lead staff mask of cromwell keep us posted of what you find
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 6:50pm
Hey thanks mate, i should check them out! are they just fields like?

I was also told that the likes of walton, Speake are old places to go and search for old things.
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 6:56pm
beaches are fine because most of the finds are washed up. On land however, metal detectorists cause a hell of a lot of damage to sites of archaeological potential. They should be licensed as so much of our heritage ends up on eBay
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 7:00pm
Yer dean i did read about that whilst trying to get to understand more about the whole metal detecting thing. i do try to be as careful as i can whilst trying to look for things and i would be putting anything up on ebay. i hate that website!

Id happily contact someone who could help me with any finds such as the liverpool musium or archaeologists and tell them the place i found the items!
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 7:02pm
I'm against it really, but if you do find anything, then make sure you report it to http://www.finds.org.uk/
Posted By: Helles Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 7:14pm
Join a club. Most of them do things properly and get permission from farmers/landowners on a 50/50 (value) basis.
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 7:16pm
Thanks for that. yes i was hoping to try and ask some farmers myself. but its only asking those who have some history in that area! thanks for the website deano. your not dean sullivan are you? from wirral? lol
Posted By: Archaeo Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 7:31pm
fortunately not!
Posted By: lansyp Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 7:40pm
oh yes just thought any allotments around tranmere area are usually victorian dumps so you may find something on them too
Posted By: Andysgirl Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 8:58pm
There should be plenty of stuff to dig up in Storeton. I used to live in the cottages in Little Storeton Lane and found plenty of stuff in the garden. There are Viking connections and WW2 plane went down in the fields between Storeton and Landican.
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 11:06pm
thanks for that info i shall go and check it out laugh do you think id be allowed or would i need to ask anyone permission?...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Places for metal detecting? - 21st Sep 2010 11:27pm
Originally Posted by deano606
fortunately not!
oshocked dean sullivan is cool!! Pm me for dean sullivan discussion as we're o.t laugh
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: Places for metal detecting? - 22nd Sep 2010 11:31am
Originally Posted by leelad03
I have just got into Metal Detecting, and i have no idea what exact location i could go and try out! id love to find anything ww2, roman, victorian. i have not found anything yet when both times i have been around Childwall and new brighton by the lighthouse. didnt find a thing lol. But id love someone to give me some advice on where to try? I have tried to find things online but not exact locations! i know i would also need permission but that would come after i have any locations to go to!
Thanks
Lee

Yes there is a lot of evidence of an old roman port at meols and many finds have been recorded there. There Port your refering to is known as Portus Setantiorum.

Click here for more info on the Port
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Places for metal detecting? - 29th Mar 2011 7:22pm
Brilliant thanks for the help guys up to now
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Places for metal detecting? - 29th Mar 2011 7:31pm
West Kirby beach? not raftl
Posted By: Jolly Re: Places for metal detecting? - 30th Mar 2011 2:37am
Cool MISSGUIDED......
Posted By: leelad03 Re: Places for metal detecting? - 30th Mar 2011 2:08pm
lol... to be honest ive tried beaches and i never find much... id like inlands...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral