Forums
Posted By: Maureen The Rock Ferry Hotel - 14th Jul 2009 2:47am
Does anyone have any information on the history of the Rock Ferry Hotel?
My great grandfather was born there in 1832 and I would appreciate any information available including the type of clientel who may have stayed there
Maureen
Posted By: Doctor_Frick Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 14th Jul 2009 8:04pm
I think Upton CX put some photos up on here somewhere showing the old photos. Maybe in the Ferry Link ??

Iv got some info on the hotel on my site here

And theres a photo of it below. Theres a not a great deal about it on the net, but im sure Upton CX will have more pics on it.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Summer01
well done and if you click onto the photographs it will show some with dacre hill looking down and if you look there is a row of houses still there today but at the end you can see a large rooftop only thats the place i live in today .but cant seem to find a full veiw of it as it was allways known to covered by trees and shrubs.

Attached picture dacre1.jpg
Posted By: uptoncx Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 15th Jul 2009 11:59pm

There is more information on the Royal Rock hotel in the thread here.

A couple of pictures:

Description: The Royal Rock Hotel in 1919
Attached picture royalrock2.jpg

Description: An aerial view of the Royal Rock, about 1924.
Attached picture royalrock3.jpg
Posted By: Maureen Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 16th Jul 2009 1:06am
Many thanks for these pictures. Maureen
Posted By: Maureen Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 17th Jul 2009 7:33am
I'm not sure. I only have a bad copy of his christening certificate which showed his mother came from Tranmere and place of abode of unknown father was the Rock Ferry Hotel. I am waiting on proper birth certificate. Unsure about place of birth
Posted By: kaycee Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 27th Jan 2010 11:08am
are the Rock ferry hotel and the Royal Rock one and the same.WW2 naval officers stayed at the Royal Rock when their vessels were at Lairds. The hotel was at the bottom Of Bedford Rd near the river
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 27th Jan 2010 1:20pm
Yes, they are one and the same but I haven't managed to find the relationship between the two names.

The "Royal Rock Beagle Hunt" was based at "The Rock Ferry Hotel" and perhaps this was the start of the name change.

Nethaniel Hawthorne refers to both names in the same text, which would imply they are separate entities, but the description and location appear to be identical.
Posted By: genlock Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 2nd Feb 2010 7:40pm
From his book "Rock Ferry, New Ferry & Bebington"
David Mitchelson said about The Royal Rock Hotel :-

The original building was erected on this site about 1805.
In 1836 the hotel and pleasure gardens were extended, It is understood that the title "Royal" was conferred by King George IV who resided here whilst visiting friends.

The district has a previous royal association as the children of George III were sent here because the air was so good !

The Hotel was demolished in the 1960s , at the time of the construction of the Rock Ferry bypass.

I hope this is of some help Maureen !

joe

There was a New Ferry Hotel also, which was Known localy as the Buffs in the 1970s as it was a meeting place for the RAOB.
Posted By: joeey Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 27th Apr 2010 8:53am
What wonderful pictures! One of my ancestors worked as a housemaid in 1871.
Posted By: bri445 Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 27th Apr 2010 6:59pm
Slight correction.... The measurement should be a 'rood', not a 'road'!

Attached picture convert.jpg
Posted By: bri445 Re: The Rock Ferry Hotel - 27th Apr 2010 7:30pm
An advert for the hotel

Attached picture R Rock Hot em.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral