Forums
Posted By: Truck967 Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 4:26pm
New user to the site, i drive a trade refuse truck all over the borough and service lots of pubs, factorys, shops in the area, have access to certain areas that maybe the general public doesnt, could be of use to someone
Anyway, any info on the above would be appreciated
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 5:03pm

The tower is the base of the chimney for the old Upton pumping station. There is some information (but not a lot yet) on it on my website here.
Posted By: Wench Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 5:04pm
Welcome to Wiki Truck hi I'm sure there are one or two members who will gladly take you up on your access (no rude jokes please, I couldn't think of how to word it).

I am also sure that several members will be able to help you with the information you are after.

Once again - welcome to Wiki laugh If you need any help, just ask smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 5:08pm
Welcome to wiki smile
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 6:33pm
welcome dude hi
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 6:37pm
Good question - good entrance - wellcome mate.
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 7:23pm
Welcome to wiki Truck. hi
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 7:25pm
Hello and welcome to wiki
Posted By: hoseman Re: Tower by Upton Station - 29th Apr 2009 7:35pm
Welcome to the asylum Truck.
Any probs just ask, caus we dont have a clue either....!!
Matron....Who am I again??
Posted By: Truck967 Re: Tower by Upton Station - 30th Apr 2009 3:28pm
Thanx to uptoncx for the info, i will pass this on to a former work colleague who passed the tower every weekday for 10 years.
Thanx to all the welcomes aswell, since finding this site last sunday i have been hooked
As a native of Ellesmere Port i cant be much help with input on the site
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Tower by Upton Station - 30th Apr 2009 9:33pm
Originally Posted by Truck967
Thanx to uptoncx for the info, i will pass this on to a former work colleague who passed the tower every weekday for 10 years.
Thanx to all the welcomes aswell, since finding this site last sunday i have been hooked

I`m sure there will be questions asked about your neck of the woods that you may be able to help with mate. happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tower by Upton Station - 30th Apr 2009 9:52pm
Puzzled for years over that tower. I always though it may have been a capped shaft/well etc. connected with the old water works.

Never considered it being the base of a chimney. That DOES make sense.

Thanks.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Tower by Upton Station - 30th Apr 2009 10:01pm
I always thought it was the base of some kind of monument and had just fallen into disrepair or the monument moved when the M53 was built. A chimney - aaaah yes
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Tower by Upton Station - 30th Apr 2009 10:40pm
Done a little map.

Plus link to what an Artesian well is:
Artesian well

Attached picture ford bridge.jpg
Posted By: greasby_lad Re: Tower by Upton Station - 6th May 2009 6:39pm
Originally Posted by Truck967

Hi Truck and welcome,
Ellesmere Port is well within the historical Wirral Hundred so is covered by this site. The post-1974 definition of Wirral's boundary is for politicians only - and their opinions are not held in high regard.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Tower by Upton Station - 6th May 2009 6:45pm
As from a UE perspective, tunnels are for everyone and you aint gonna keep em all to yourselves outside Wirral!!!!
Welcome one and all!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Tower by Upton Station - 16th Jun 2009 7:35pm
i going to check this place! have to check out a pill box down there anyway!
Posted By: WetSocks Re: Tower by Upton Station - 31st Jul 2009 9:33pm

It is indeed the base of the chimney for what I have been informed was known as "Ford Borehole"

This image was given to me by a colleague. I do not hold the rights to the image and apologise to anyone who's copyright I may be infringing.

Attached picture Ford41.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Tower by Upton Station - 31st Jul 2009 9:43pm
that is a very impressive pic mate well done! thumbsup
Posted By: WetSocks Re: Tower by Upton Station - 31st Jul 2009 10:06pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
that is a very impressive pic mate well done! thumbsup

I've got a few old pics, I'll chuck them up whenever they seem relevant. A lot of them are catalogued with "Historic Wirral" on them so not sure if the rights are held by somebody...
Posted By: bigpete Re: Tower by Upton Station - 3rd Aug 2009 9:57pm
Is that a stream running behind (to the west) of the Waterworks on the 1910 map - or is it the Fender ? - or a tributary stream running into it ? Looks very much like it, especially as it has a boundary running down it.

Methinks this might be the source of the water....? for the works?.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Tower by Upton Station - 4th Aug 2009 5:35am
The stream running past the pumping station is the Fender, it used to pass under Ford Road through a circular 'tunnel' lined with white glazed tiles. It was taken through a culvert and its course was changed slightly when the M53 was built.

The punping station raised water from an artesian well (reputed to be 860 feet deep) and pumped it, through the Thermopylae Pass, to the water works in Bidston Road.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tower by Upton Station - 4th Aug 2009 7:24am
Great photo of the Ford Pumping Sta. WetSocks. Thanks. Do you have access to any photos of the original Prenton Dell Waterworks (Borehole) prior to it being demolished (late '60's ?).
Posted By: bigpete Re: Tower by Upton Station - 4th Aug 2009 7:56am
Originally Posted by uptoncx

The punping station raised water from an artesian well (reputed to be 860 feet deep) and pumped it, through the Thermopylae Pass, to the water works in Bidston Road.

Wow, that's amazing - like half a mile upwards - in about a mile !
Know the works well - my Grandad had one of the allotments next to it for many years...

Surprising that they needed to tap an artesian - did not think Wirral was that short of water....!

Found an old map of Cross Hill in Thingwall before the reservoir (rezzy to me) was built and found 7 springs on that small hill alone ! - There's probably more !
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Tower by Upton Station - 10th Sep 2009 6:02pm
was there today thay where pumping the place out! some pics!

Description: open gate
Attached picture 102_0301.jpg

Description: tower in the background
Attached picture 102_0300.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Tower by Upton Station - 11th Sep 2009 7:49pm
heres another pic

Description: close up
Attached picture 102_0312.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral