Forums
Posted By: venice April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 5:15pm
Looks like April the giraffe is going to have her baby on April Fools day (if not tonight) . How appropriate for all the mugs like me who have been keeping a hopeful eye out for the birth , for the last three weeks !!!

Am I the only one who feels very uncomfortable about seeing Giraffes kept in zoos in countries with cold winters , where the giraffes have to be kept in their indoor enclosures for the whole winter months (or any months below 50deg. )

I understand April the female is happy and safe in her box, but her mate Oliver in the other box can do nothing but walk round and round and round , day and night in tight circles apart from a lie down now and then. Imagine that for months, 24/7 . Millions of people watching and commenting, how cute they all are , and how well fed etc, but Im seriously concerned imagining his boredom and frustration. Seems no life to me.
Perhaps zoos who cant provide natural type conditions year round, shouldnt be allowed to keep those species ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClnQCgFa9lCBL-KXZMOoO9Q/live
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 6:59pm
Yes, Venice. You couldn't have put it better. I have looked in on them most days for a brief time. Only to see poor Oliver , shuffling back and forth. Your thoughts on this are exactly the same as my thoughts.
I know they had bad snow last week , and I have seen his door open on couple of occasions, but really this is not a suitable life for such animals. And now another to be born into captivity, with a lifespan of 20-25 yrs in confined enclosures. Not what I consider kindness. The same could be said for any zoos, and the plain fact that these animals miss their natural environment was evident when those lions were first released into their bush enclosures in South Africa. They had never seen a tree, and their first instinct the minute they were released into them, was to scratch up against the trees.

This Animal Adventure Park isn't so big either, when you see it on Google Map. Over 200,000 were viewing the other night at one time with all the stupid comments. Really quite ridiculous. They've certainly made a fortune out of this. I think they will receive about £60 for every 8 or 9 thousand views due to returns for advertisements.

It also seems a lot longer than 3 weeks.
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 7:35pm
Isn't this how they should be ? Northern Serengeti, taken by my cousin.

Attached picture northern serengeti Chris 12.jpg
Posted By: venice Re: April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 9:10pm
Wonderful granny.
Posted By: venice Re: April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 9:34pm
This elephant could do with some support too

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/en-gb/takeaction/841/626/994/
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 9:55pm
Indeed and Signed.

Such heart breaking stories of these beautiful animals.
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 31st Mar 2017 11:27pm
Just come across this. It makes you want to vomit.

for just £2,350 ......

http://huntinginafricasafaris.com/a...-africa/hunting-giraffe-in-south-africa/

Posted By: keef666 Re: April Giraffe - 1st Apr 2017 7:41am
Not a big fan of Zoo's, they say its to help endangered animals etc but never hear of the aniamls they are trying to save being bred and then released, they catch them and lock them up, and hey we'll saved it
Posted By: venice Re: April Giraffe - 1st Apr 2017 8:08am
Originally Posted by granny
Just come across this. It makes you want to vomit.

for just £2,350 ......

http://huntinginafricasafaris.com/a...-africa/hunting-giraffe-in-south-africa/

Very sick people in my opinion .Wayyyy beyond my understanding.
Posted By: cools Re: April Giraffe - 1st Apr 2017 12:26pm
As long as it's a good Zoo, which I think Chester is I don't have a problem. Ive been there with my little grandson alot he loves it. They do alot for conservation and whilst it would be nice to think of all animals living wild they are being hunted and killed nearly to extinction, as that stomach churning promotion for Giraffe hunting above which Granny drew our attention to. If we don't have Zoos I think alot of animals who we see now will end up like the Dodo , only in books.I have seen some bad so called Zoos which upset me as living conditions are appalling.
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 1st Apr 2017 3:09pm
I'm not over keen on zoos really, although I think most now adhere to all the necessary guidelines and rules. Conservation seemed to be well on the agenda last time I went to Chester.( a coupe of years ago). Saying that, and most animals here are born in captivity now, it does not provide anything like in relation to their natural environment . Giraffes can run up to 60 mph in the wild, they don't even get a chance to run in captivity. eventually they will breed creatures that can't run at all.(my opinion only) Same applies to many of the other descendants of wild animals that are born in captivity. Then there are the babies stolen from the wild for USA and others zoos. That is the cruellest. Killing the mothers or whole families to obtain a baby. The human race should be ashamed of itself.
Posted By: venice Re: April Giraffe - 1st Apr 2017 9:26pm
Well what about this Animal Park , Cools with the giraffes we're watching , would you say its good or bad the way it keeps its giraffes in that space all Winter? Warm, dry, company , fed . Is it enough?
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 1st Apr 2017 10:44pm
Picking up on another point of Cools, and how many of these animals are now of the 'critical ' list of endangered species. At the same time vultures are dying off at an alarming rate in India and Africa. Not enough carcases for them . That in itself is also a worrying factor, as vultures have a digestive system which destroys bacteria on dead meat that no other animal can digest . Bacteria such as anthrax, botulism, and cholera . So finely tuned is nature, that if they also end up on the critical list or become extinct, disease will spread at a far greater rate through India ,Africa and indeed the world.
Posted By: cools Re: April Giraffe - 2nd Apr 2017 10:09am
It doesn't look good Venice I admit, had to look it up it's in New York yes. Gets really cold there so there is a argument for what you say. In an ideal world think we would all like to see every animal in their natural environment with sweeping plains etc. Even if all Zoos were banished you would get the private collectors wanting to have tigers and other animals in their possession. As I say if it's a good Zoo or safari park and the animals are treated well and kept in good conditions I think and especially if they are born in captivity,don't like to think of animals being taken from the wild to end up in Zoos, it's the next best thing.At least they must tend to adapt as they don't know anything different. Not saying it's right,just trying to see the upside. Now bad zoos I hate , went to Drayton Manor last year , theme park Thomas the Tank land, obviously with grandson. They have a small zoo, I say that very loosely, stuck at the back dark and gloomy , enclosures that hold animals with nothing to say good about. My heart went out to a very sad looking Tiger lying there looking so depressed and sad. Now that kind of place should be closed down , the difference to Chester and that . It's very controversial isn't it, Zoos or no Zoos...Didn't know that about the vultures Granny , I would have thought they'd have plenty to feast on with droughts and things that kill off the animals.
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 2nd Apr 2017 12:28pm

This is getting a wee bit off track whilst we wait for April to give birth. It passes the time.

Talking about Vultures. There are some very interesting facts on here about them. Becoming quite fond of the blighters for their characteristics pertaining to their lifestyle. Fascinating as you go further down the 16 points.

http://annamiticus.com/2012/08/27/16-things-you-might-not-know-about-vultures/
Posted By: venice Re: April Giraffe - 2nd Apr 2017 6:30pm
Yes, theyre grotesquely fascinating arent they . Imagine having the sight to see something small 4 miles away. Amazing!

Its the end of a bad Winter in New York, the snow has gone and the giraffes were let out for a little while earlier today I was pleased to see. April didnt want to go out , understandable with being so uncomfortably pregnant, but Oliver made the most of the opportunity .
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 2nd Apr 2017 9:53pm
That's some nice news , Venice. A bit of fresh air ! There doesn't appear to be any enrichment for them, other than the odd treats .

Found this... how much longer ? You would think the park would have a bit more of a clue !

" When is April actually due? April's tentative due day was mid-February, give or take some days. She is very close but it could still be hours or days. " crazy

March 6th
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 2nd Apr 2017 10:00pm

I don't think she can lie down any longer. She had great difficulty a couple of days ago . Poor April, she must be getting tired now. yes
Posted By: venice Re: April Giraffe - 3rd Apr 2017 2:28pm
Wouldnt it be funny if this giraffe thing is some sort of social experiment exploring just how far and for how long you can string along a million people lol !!! The damn thing doesnt even look very pregnant today !!!
Posted By: cools Re: April Giraffe - 5th Apr 2017 6:42pm
If you're still waiting for April to give birth Orla from
Chester Zoo has pipped her to the post , lovely video on you tube of the birth yesterday. I have tried and tried to put it up here but no success, hopeless I am.
Posted By: starakita Re: April Giraffe - 5th Apr 2017 8:48pm
[youtube]swSPCRuvPxA[/youtube] There you go cools
Posted By: cools Re: April Giraffe - 5th Apr 2017 8:55pm
Oh thanks Star, that's the one.
Posted By: granny Re: April Giraffe - 6th Apr 2017 11:12am

Lovely to see that squidgy little face, bless x At least Chester do it properly.

I think poor April is being used as a scam. Almost 2 months late ? Donations are flying in by the ton, so it would seem there was a method in making their theatre production.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral