Forums
Posted By: Anonymous 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 10th Jan 2009 2:21pm
Work is being carried out at Seacombe in 1875 where the bay was filled in and the Seacombe Hotel (seen to the right) with other properties was about to be demolished. The Hotel was rebuilt in 1880 and renamed the Seacombe Ferry Hotel

[Linked Image]

Aerial view of Seacombe in the 1940s showing the large building of the Seacomber Ferry Hotel in the middle of the picture

[Linked Image]

Front of the Seacomber Ferry Hotel in the 1970s

[Linked Image]

The large hotel was demolished in the early 1980s and a newer, if smaller version, now occupies the site

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Indexed happy
The Seacombe Ferry Hotel was built in 1870's. It was a large 4 storey building facing the ferry napproach. It was built of common brick and had pillars at the entrances. It once boasted a palm- room,where classical music was played. Over the years it had a very high standard of catering. One much travelled man considered it the best place for dinner anywhere in the world. The staff were told only to servicew menin ties and ladies accompanyed by a gent!

The large building was demolished in 1978 and a smaller licensed premises was built in its place.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 12th Mar 2010 8:20pm
Me thinks Rudey has bought a new book recently!
Rudey took advantage of the 'fine amnesty' at the library!!! took my books back and they welcombed me back with open arms!! smile am only allowed four books though. so its 1 history, 2 chick- lits and a 'random'.
I read about the amnesty, you must have owed a load!
I did wink its embarrassing. Ive learnt my lesson now tho- borrow books, read 'em and take 'em back. Simples!! laugh
Posted By: kimpri Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 13th Mar 2010 11:08pm
Seacombe Ferry hotel

Attached picture the van 010.jpg
nice find joe thumbsup
Posted By: LUGCAL Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2010 11:46am
i lived in the hotel from 1973 to 1977.the hotel part had closed when we lived there,the pub was open.playing hide and seak got a bit boring with all those rooms to hide in no one could ever find you.remember some of the characters that drank in the pub.i played pool for the pool team when i was 10 or 11 the men wearn't too pleased when they when they lost to a ten year old.the ferry lads drank in there a lot.some of the captains too. some day's if i was off school i would go on the ferry and stear over to liverpool and back,captain obviously taking over to land ,that was great fun.steared the royal iris up and down the river loads.alway's made me jump when the captain blew the horn,so loud. anyone remember the ferry get intouch.
Posted By: Tatey Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2010 11:56am
A great uncle of mine was a director of "Rowntrees" & used to stay there when up in Liverpool on business & I remember going to visit him & seeing all the waitresses in their black & white uniforms. Very posh in those days!
Posted By: LUGCAL Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2010 4:43pm
i did not know it as hotel,but everything was left how it was,their was a ballroom on the first floor,all the tables and high back chairs,mirrors if i knew then what i know now i would be a rich man,hind sight is a wonderful thing,their was a small cinema also,we had great fun playing in the lift,my brother came up with a little ditty when we got in the lift,he used to sing it,it went= ground floor, bar, lounge, music room, and office. sang to the theme to are you being served,quite amusing at the time guess you had to be there.
Posted By: kimpri Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2010 6:55pm
a
Originally Posted by LUGCAL
i did not know it as hotel,but everything was left how it was,their was a ballroom on the first floor,all the tables and high back chairs,mirrors if i knew then what i know now i would be a rich man,hind sight is a wonderful thing,their was a small cinema also,we had great fun playing in the lift,my brother came up with a little ditty when we got in the lift,he used to sing it,it went= ground floor, bar, lounge, music room, and office. sang to the theme to are you being served,quite amusing at the time guess you had to be there.
Any pictures? smile
Posted By: LUGCAL Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 22nd Mar 2010 7:49pm
no pictures just memories
old pic off stephen1972

Attached picture seacombe ferry hotel.jpg
I sometimes sang sunday night with the resident group there in the 60s
The first picture also shows the Marine Hotel (Brassey's) whihc began life as a quayside pub and got marooned when they reclaimed the land. That survived quite a long time.
Seacombe Ferry pub is no more....went past yesterday and it was fenced off with total demolition signs, went past today and its just a pile of rubble.
Only took them few days to do it. Was told last week they were doing it and now today, gone!!
Posted By: Norton Re: 581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey - 24th Oct 2011 2:39am
More pictures of the Seacombe Ferry Hotel.
The first one is from 1983, when it was Whitbreads. The Marine Hotel can be seen in the background, on the left.
You would not get a bus there like that. It is infact a 'historic' vehicle, borrowed for a social event.
The next picture is the same view, taken in 2003.

Description: Whitbreads, 1983.
Attached picture 581-1983.jpg

Description: Same shot, but from 2003.
Attached picture 581a-2003.JPG

Description: The Seacombe Ferry in 2003.
Attached picture 581-2003.JPG
My Wealthy Auntie and Uncle used to come to see us when we lived in Wallasey. They would always take us there to eat, the food and service was great in those day back in the fifties
© Wirral-Wikiwirral