Is now the "Loch Fyne"

This was the first non-smoking Pub on the Wirral

Indexed happy

Description: Loch Fyne, Village Road West Kirby
Attached picture WestKirbyLochFyneS8003094s.JPG

Description: Loch Fyne, Village Road West Kirby
Attached picture WestKirbyLochFyneS8003095s.JPG
Posted By: Sanchez Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 3rd Mar 2009 11:12pm
Tee hee, I rewired this place last year for the new lock fyne. All I can say is that this building is full of history, mostly in the celler, but in the roof space too. Also there was no expence spared making the place, I can only assume the food will be top notch. I can't belive I didnt get any free tickets for being the main electrical contractor onsite frown
Posted By: chriskay Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 4th Mar 2009 10:45am
We've got a branch of Loch Fyne in Shrewsbury, in an old bank. The food is great, mostly fish, of course. Ours offers, until 7pm, 2 courses, a side dish & a glass of wine for £12. Great value.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 30th Oct 2010 4:27pm
Just been refurbished (again!) looks like its been renamed back to the Ring O' Bells smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 30th Oct 2010 7:08pm
Will be more popular as a traditional pub,I'm sure!
Posted By: Tatey Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 31st Oct 2010 8:27am
Now operated by Green King as a gastro pub. Had a fine pint of IPA in there yesterday & it all looks very nice & was very busy at lunchtime.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 31st Oct 2010 10:56am
Yup refurbed again. I decided to walk on site a few weeks back to find out why, as Loch fyne had just spent 3/4 of a million pounds on it. The foremans words were

" I dont know about you guys but where I come from no one can afford £17.50 for fish and chips...."

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 31st Oct 2010 12:58pm
It was busy when it first opened, but since then they seem to have had a string of half-price offers etc to keep the customers rolling. Full price was a bit OTT.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 31st Oct 2010 1:20pm
Me and my mates used to go in there all the time ten years ago. It was very busy at the weekends usually 4 deep at the bar. When the landlord at the time, Alan decided to make it non smoking we all stopped going and went to wetherspoons instead. The place was dead at night. He must have made his money from food sales in the daytime.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 22nd Oct 2011 7:02pm
pic by norton

The Ring o' Bells, Caldy in 1988. It used to attract a lot of students when they were home from university. Being on Whitbreads 'A' list of pubs, they were allowed to charge top prices for beer (as was the Seven Stars in Thornton Hough).

Attached picture ring o bells.jpg
Posted By: inatimate1 Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 7th Jun 2015 6:50pm
I remember going in here as a kid in the early 90s. It had a rope swing where the outdoor seating area is now. I'm also pretty sure that back then they also had bar skittles inside as well.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 7th Jun 2015 10:46pm
Yep, I'm sure I've seen bar skittles here in the past, think there was some table games at the entrance end the last time I went.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 16th Jul 2019 4:34pm
Greene King have put the Ring o' Bells up for sale at £1m
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 16th Jan 2020 10:17pm
Ring O' Bells, West Kirby will be closed for refurbishment over the coming months after its purchase by Stange & co who own nine pubs including three on the Wirral (Jug and Bottle, The Ship and The Fox and Hounds)
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 3rd Mar 2020 12:14am
Ring O' Bells has been bought by Strange & Co who intend to extend the building and open in the Autumn. That brings their Portfolio to ten, of which four are on the Wirral (The Ship - Parkgate. Jug & Bottle - Heswall, Fox & Hounds - Barnston and now the Ring O' Bells).
Posted By: granny Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 3rd Mar 2020 12:59am

What really annoys me about these places is, they are now charging restaurant prices in a pub setting. Been to the Fox and Hounds a couple of times. £14/15/16 for a main course in a pub setting is getting to be expensive. Having said that, the starters were more like a main meal !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 417 Ring o' Bells West Kirby - 3rd Mar 2020 1:57am
I don't eat out any longer so wouldn't know what's going on. My last memories were of places trying to up-market themselves only to find out that the crowds they initially get in are the nomads that move on to the next place that's been done up and they end up with empty tables having swamped out their regulars who have also moved on.

I also was disgusted by the many managers that thought they were gods and treated staff and customers with disdain
© Wirral-Wikiwirral