Forums
Posted By: granny Influential People - 22nd Oct 2013 9:47pm
Which person do you consider to be the most influential, in the past century?

Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Influential People - 22nd Oct 2013 10:38pm
I don't know granny- lots of different aspects of influence... I suppose the secret elite have influenced people from behind the scenes. They decide when we have economic booms and busts. Politicians from all countries influencing investment and wars.
Why who do you think has influenced people? Any one person you got in mind?
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Influential People - 22nd Oct 2013 11:34pm
Alan Titchmarsh
Posted By: granny Re: Influential People - 23rd Oct 2013 12:22am
Chopper, no I don't have anyone in mind. There are so many possibilities , but no doubt it would depend on where our priorities lie.
It takes a lot of thought if we are serious, not so much if we are lighthearted.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Influential People - 23rd Oct 2013 7:08am
Adolf Hitler affected and influenced millions of lives so must be in the top ranks of influential people. As you say Granny many many contenders for this.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Influential People - 23rd Oct 2013 7:52am
Albert Einstein also springs to mind,
like salmon says Hitler takes some beating.
Posted By: Paintboffin Re: Influential People - 23rd Oct 2013 8:53am
Originally Posted by granny
Which person do you consider to be the most influential, in the past century?

If you mean local Granny? then Thomas Ismay would be a contender for me as he had a huge influence locally.

PB
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 9:54am
I am not being lighthearted Granny. Just thought I would respond to your post the other day. Hope you get better answers than my apparent lighthearted one. I had come back to this post as i was hoping to read the suggestions as I was interested.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 2:36pm
I think Granny was referring to my post, chopper. I am 90% lighthearted these days , I blame the medication, 23 pills a day must do something bad as well as good :-)
Posted By: granny Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 4:54pm
Originally Posted by Chopper1979
I am not being lighthearted Granny. Just thought I would respond to your post the other day. Hope you get better answers than my apparent lighthearted one. I had come back to this post as i was hoping to read the suggestions as I was interested.

No, I was not referring to anyone or anyones choices, only a general comment. Sorry if it came across in the wrong manner. Certainly not inrended.
Neither was it intended as a remark towards you Zipper.

Only an innocent remark, with apologies sent.

IAfter having some thought I agree with Salmon and vanman,. My own choice mivht be Mother Teresa, for the never ending ,never tiring dedication she gave to the homeless, dying, orphans and all those who suffered around her.

Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 10:13pm
Thanks Granny- I will stop being offended now lol.
I think that for each generation during the century, there are different influences- Mother T may have been yours, Martin Luther King may have been others. I think also you are generally influenced by popular culture in your teens and that moulds you.. for instance I think musicians have a lot to influence a growing mind- sometimes for the better and vice versa.
Really I don't know - I can't pin one name to your topic lol.
Take it easy granny
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 10:22pm
Very interesting Granny, although i will not be participating in your psychological game.
Posted By: granny Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 10:52pm
Chopper....Pleased you came back and put your thoughts here.
With your comments about music, it could be said that The Beatles were also instrumental in opening up the countries of the world and breaking down barriers through their music.

Ste, I have little concept of what you mean by psychological games. No need to join in, but your comment makes no sense. Sorry.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 11:22pm
I never make much sence Granny, you should know that by now smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 11:25pm
Too generalised for me.......cannot possibly choose one Individual.

I also agree with Ste- this topic may or may not be a method of deciphering implicit thoughts of members for personal gain??

Posted By: granny Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 11:43pm
Please explain 'personal gain' . Really at a loss as to what the problem is.
It's a question put forth by the Times Magazine in 1999.
No need to respond.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 11:45pm
Well, I said Alan Titchmarsh.I hope you get a lot of pennies for my thoughts... LOL
Posted By: granny Re: Influential People - 24th Oct 2013 11:50pm
At least you took the time to give a sensible answer , Zipper. Thanks, not a completely worthless topic. smile
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Influential People - 25th Oct 2013 12:36am
My pick would be no other than the great man himself.Who is Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela is a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary and politician.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Influential People - 25th Oct 2013 5:53am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

I also agree with Ste- this topic may or may not be a method of deciphering implicit thoughts of members for personal gain??

Goodness me, it is a simple question of opinion, how could any individual gain personally from somebody else's thoughts on the subject.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Influential People - 25th Oct 2013 7:31am
Originally Posted by Salmon
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Goodness me, it is a simple question of opinion, how could any individual gain personally from somebody else's thoughts on the subject.

Take a thought for a minute salmon, think like a shrink wink
Posted By: Salmon Re: Influential People - 25th Oct 2013 8:15am
You mean twist everything back to my repressed childhood where I had to clean chimneys from the age of 2 and down the pit at 6AM from aged 8 while getting a crust of bread once a week. And then of course there is the sexual anxieties. I am off for a walk in the rain now to talk to the trees.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Influential People - 25th Oct 2013 3:52pm
You mean twist everything back to my repressed childhood where I had to clean chimneys from the age of 2 and down the pit at 6AM from aged 8 while getting a crust of bread once a week. And then of course there is the sexual anxieties. I am off for a walk in the rain now to talk to the trees.
Must have been tough in them days Salmon.Not like this today though.Thanks for sharing x.
Posted By: YinYang Re: Influential People - 26th Oct 2013 8:48pm
...I had to clean chimneys from the age of 2 and down the pit at 6AM from aged 8 while getting a crust of bread once a week.

You got bread? Every week?? Luxury!

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

You try telling that to kids today... laugh

But anyway, my nomination for most influential person is Gerry Anderson. His work has influenced my thinking more than anyone, teaching me that the World is full of puppets but even a puppet can be a hero too.
Posted By: Santos Re: Influential People - 26th Oct 2013 10:24pm
My Grandmother.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Influential People - 26th Oct 2013 10:28pm
What about Jim Henson for "The Muppets" to go with the "Puppets"?
I used to walk like Andy Pandy, mum said if it wasnt for "Andy" I`d proberbly never have walked. I was more than 2 years old before I started walking, shuffled around on my bum before that.
Posted By: YinYang Re: Influential People - 26th Oct 2013 10:49pm
Could have been worse Zip. At least you didn't learn from Spotty Dog!

I still aspire to be Troy Tempest when I grow up, and marry Aqua Marina.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Influential People - 26th Oct 2013 10:53pm
What about the auto pilot in Fireball XL5, he was always jumping out in emergencies though :-) or mad mitch from Supercar?. He was a born leader.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Influential People - 27th Oct 2013 7:14am
On that theme it must be Homer Simpson, once nominated by US newspapers as a perfect role model for fathers. Makes me laugh anyway.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Influential People - 27th Oct 2013 8:35am
On that theme it must be Homer Simpson, once nominated by US newspapers as a perfect role model for fathers. Makes me laugh anyway.

withthat
Posted By: Absinthian Re: Influential People - 27th Oct 2013 10:19pm
Nikola Tesla
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Influential People - 29th Oct 2013 12:56pm
Originally Posted by Absinthian
Never heard of he/she.may i ask who this influential person is?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Influential People - 29th Oct 2013 1:12pm
Originally Posted by Candlyfloss

Google is your friend.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Influential People - 29th Oct 2013 2:00pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Originally Posted by Candlyfloss

Google is your friend.
okay Thanks Pinz will have a look now x.
Posted By: YinYang Re: Influential People - 29th Oct 2013 4:08pm

Click on his name, Candyfloss. As soon as you see his photo you'll recognise him (...I'm sure it's the bloke out of Sparks. Although he might also have collaborated with OMD on their hit song Tesla Girls) laugh

Anyway, I think we should also nominate the creator of Absinthe.

Posted By: chriskay Re: Influential People - 29th Oct 2013 5:41pm
Originally Posted by YinYang
Absinthe.

Ah, La fée verte. I've drunk it in Prague.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Influential People - 30th Oct 2013 12:18am

Click on his name, Candyfloss. As soon as you see his photo you'll recognise him (...I'm sure it's the bloke out of Sparks. Although he might also have collaborated with OMD on their hit song Tesla Girls) laugh

Anyway, I think we should also nominate the creator of Absinthe.

Haha he does look like him out of Sparks.Well spotted.and he is a really talented guy with all his experiments.Now who is Absinthe?Chriskay drinks it lol.
Posted By: YinYang Re: Influential People - 30th Oct 2013 12:48pm
I'm pretty sure that Tesla was the guy out of Sparks. I mean, him being an electronics expert he must have been a bit of a bright spark. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't single-handedly invent the first synthesiser. No wonder OMD were so inspired by him! raftl

Absinthe is a very potent drink, once much favoured in artistic circles and, as chriskay rightly says, is sometimes refered to as "la fée verte" (the green fairy). It was banned for a long time in many countries.

Next time you watch the movie Moulin Rouge it will suddenly all make sense!
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: Influential People - 30th Oct 2013 2:55pm
I'm pretty sure that Tesla was the guy out of Sparks. I mean, him being an electronics expert he must have been a bit of a bright spark. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't single-handedly invent the first synthesiser. No wonder OMD were so inspired by him! raftl

Absinthe is a very potent drink, once much favoured in artistic circles and, as chriskay rightly says, is sometimes refered to as "la fée verte" (the green fairy). It was banned for a long time in many countries.

Next time you watch the movie Moulin Rouge it will suddenly all make sense!
Very interesting info Yin.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral