Forums
Posted By: Katryn Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 7:21pm
It would mean a lot to myself and my hubby aswell (with regards to Anna) as all the other parents of children born with CDH. Thanks.

Here is the link>

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/33898

What is a congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)?

A diaphragmatic hernia is a birth defect (an abnormality that occurs before birth) that develops as a fetus is forming in the mother's uterus. A congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) occurs when the diaphragm does not form properly. The diaphragm is a thin sheet of muscle that separates the abdomen from the chest. The diaphragm is an important muscle for breathing. When there is an opening in the diaphragm, organs that are normally in the abdomen can be pushed (herniated) through the opening into the chest. Currently little is known about why this birth defect occurs.

What causes a diaphragmatic hernia?

As the fetus grows in its mother's uterus before birth, different organ systems are developing and maturing. The diaphragm forms between the 7th and 10th week of pregnancy. The esophagus (the tube that leads from the throat to the stomach), the stomach, and the intestines are also developing at this time.

In CDH, the diaphragm does not develop properly and some or all parts of the abdominal organs (stomach, spleen, intestine and/or liver) move into the chest. The displacement of these abdominal organs into the chest can affect how the lungs develop and grow.

Most cases of diaphragmatic hernia are believed to be multi-factorial in origin. Multi-factorial means that many factors, both genetic and environmental, are involved. It is thought that multiple genes from both parents, as well as a number of environmental factors that scientists do not yet fully understand, contribute to the development of a diaphragmatic hernia.

Approximately 40% of cases of CDH are associated with other birth defects. The most common is a congenital heart defect.

Up to 20% of cases of CDH have a genetic cause due to a chromosome defect or genetic syndrome. In many of these cases, the child has other birth defects in addition to the CDH.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 7:41pm
done,best wishes.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 10:15pm
done it all the best
Posted By: Katryn Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 10:20pm
Thankyou so much it really means alot.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 10:23pm
signed, good luck
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 10:23pm
Signed and shared.
Posted By: gingevans Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 10:28pm
Signed up. Wish you all the best.
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 11:35pm
Signed and shared, let's hope you get lots of support>
Posted By: valli Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 24th Mar 2013 11:53pm
Signed, Good luck with your campaign.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 25th Mar 2013 6:37am
Signed, good luck.
Posted By: jerdubig Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 25th Mar 2013 6:55am
Signed Best Wishes
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 25th Mar 2013 8:16am
Done smile
Posted By: Katryn Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 25th Mar 2013 9:02am
Again thank you all so much it means a lot as our daughter 'Anna' was born with this condition it was undiagnosed all throughout the pregnancy and only picked up at a ante natal scan when at 38 weeks pregnant i asked the consultant to check me over as i didnt feel right and a scan had obviously confirmed it there and then as i was told that day 11th January 2008 that she we be born that day by emergency c section. She was taken straight to special care unit within Arrowe Park Hospital as this is where i had my ante natal and after the team managed to stabalise her as her chances of survival was 1 in a thousand she was transferred to Alder Hey where she had a major operation at 3 days old to but all the organs back in place and her diaphragm repaired. All in all she spent the first 6 weeks of her life in 2 hospitals and all she has to show for it is a scar across her tummy.
So babies arent so lucky some dont make it at all or are born with lots of complications and ongoing health problems.
I had never heard of this condition and myself and husband where in the dark for the first few hours of her life until the consultant who was looking after her came to see us on the ward to tell us what was wrong with her etc
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 25th Mar 2013 9:07am
All Done
Posted By: reddragon Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 25th Mar 2013 9:44am
signed and shared: good luck:
Posted By: dave2745 Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 22nd Apr 2013 3:40am
Katryn, thank you so much for bringing this petition to our attention. My nephew and his girlfriend had a baby boy in January 2011 that was born with CDH. Obviously they knew this well before he was born and were told there was a 50/50 chance whether he'd survive or not. Immediately after being born, the poor little mite had to be rushed to Alder Hey Hospital to undergo a six hour operation, it was such a worrying time for us all. I'm glad to say that little Bertie survived and to look at him now, you'd never know there was ever anything wrong with him. Sadly, however, a lot of other babies born around the same time, and who shared the same ward, were not so lucky. Please, good people, if you haven't done so already, please sign this petition. It would mean a great deal to anyone who has ever been affected by CDH.

Posted By: dave2745 Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 22nd Apr 2013 3:57am
Sorry Katryn, what I meant to say was:-

"Unlike your own circumstances, they knew this well before he was born and were told there was a 50/50 chance whether he'd survive or not."
Posted By: RedLance Re: Please could you sign this petition :) - 22nd Apr 2013 7:18am
signed and the best of luck
© Wirral-Wikiwirral