Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 7:09pm
My washing machine is on its last legs......the bearings are going! and its only 3-4yrs old! so I'm having to buy a new one, which do you think is the best make? one that will last longer than the one I have now which is a technolec.....yes I know what your saying 'a what! i'd never heard of the make either!
Posted By: clung22 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 8:16pm
Hi chris hotpoint had mine years.
Posted By: pepe26 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 8:19pm
Hot point all the way..
Posted By: pebbles16 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 8:22pm
I bought a reconditioned hotpoint in 2005 for £110.00. It only gave up the ghost in December last year. The only things that seem to wear out on them is the spinning brushes and the door seal. Both things are reasonably cheap to replace. I have just bought another reconditioned hotpoint and I will be happy if it lives as long!!
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 9:13pm
mines a samsung
Posted By: cameraman Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 9:22pm
Hi Chris,
I suppose you could consider me the expert as I have spent nearly 30 years repairing domestic appliances. I now work for Hotpoint but worked for Comet for 11 years as a service engineer and 15 years before that for Candy Hoover group. I would go for Hotpoint or Indesit as they are more or less the same machine apart from the decals, made in the same factories. Even if they go wrong out of warranty, you can take out a years policy for about £8 a month that will cover the repair plus 12 months piece of mind for any call outs and repairs. Technolec were basically HAIER machines made in China and I wouldn't recommend them having had to repair them at Comet. The motors and bearing lasted 12 months max if you were lucky. The new Zanussi / Electrolux machines are made China now for cost and they seem to have a problem of the motors ripping off the mounts of the plastic tubs. Whirlpool are rumored to be pulling out of white goods all together and Bosch reliability has started to drop since they moved production to the Spanish factories. LG and Samsung are reasonable but can be expensive.If you go on UKWHITEGOODS web site they will give you more advise but value for money for about £200, go for an Indesit as its the same machine as a Hotpoint but better quality than the Chinese junk. Technolec also goes under the BUSH brand in Asda and HEC in other stores and tends to be Own brand for a lot of the shops like Tesco, Currys. etc.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 9:52pm
Okay thanks everyone, I'm going to Currys tomorrow for a browse round.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 10:04pm
Hotpoint
Posted By: venice Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 10:58pm
I was going to say Bosch as Ive had my mine since 2001 and Im only changing it because its getting noisy --but youve put me off now, cameraman ! What about if you go to the pricier Bosch's up in the £500-£600 range, are they going to suffer the same 'Spanish' problem? What about the siemens that have the 5yr guarantee ? Mustnt they be quite good to offer that ?
ps Dyou know who makes John Lewis ones?
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 27th Feb 2013 11:42pm
All you guys raving on about Hotpoint must have models produced in Wales. Since they moved production to Poland, they are real poor. Cheaper components and not as well built.
Posted By: Shambo Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 1:40am
Meile make the best washing machines IMO but they're pricey. There's a used one, collect only from Birkenhead, on ebay ATM that I'd buy before any new machine mentioned so far.
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 7:08am
Having worked for Candy for nearly 25 years i had all their appliances. Staff discount and showroom display models. Could not fault Candy!!! My washer died last year and it was 10. I bought a Samsung washer from currys and its crap. I would recommend Candy /Hoover or Indesit .
Posted By: saltytom Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 8:46am
Have a look at models get your prices, then have a look at
www.appliancesonline.co.uk as an example l have just bought a hotpoint bhwm 129 this was £60 cheaper than currys.
Have used them for years
Posted By: starakita Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 2:10pm
I got an LG got it cheaper as it was the last one & it was on display its got a steam option on it.its a 9k one but I needed a big load one.when we split up I got my own place I bought indesit still a 9k one but its ok miss the steam option though.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 6:14pm
Hi Pegsgirl,
I worked at Candy for 16 years before resigning and joining Comet as an engineer so we probably know each other. I was in design and development in the labs with a white coat on sitting on my backside all day in the test rooms smile
I wouldnt recommend the Candy Hoover washing machines now after the exploding drums have appeared. I'll see if I can post some pics.

Hi Venice,
The dearer Bosch £500+ are still made in Germany so should be ok. forget paying more for the Siemens and Neff as its just a Bosch with different decals, same electrics, motor, tub
Posted By: cameraman Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 6:37pm
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/image...%20on%20exploded%20washing%20machine.jpg
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 7:43pm
Been to Currys today and have ordered an Indisit they're out of stock at the moment but getting more in next week, so because of that I don't have to pay the delivery charge! I've had Indisit before and I had it years before I got the technolec.
Posted By: cameraman Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 9:45pm
Hi Venice,
John Lewis appliances are Electrolux products made by the little swan company in China and a couple of them are made by Beko
Posted By: Kev30x Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 10:06pm
From my own experience "Indesit" is a very trusty Brand, i bought a 2nd hand one off Crocdundee about 2 years ago and ive not had one single prob with it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 11:30pm
i always buy the cheapest /on offer new machines and expect to write them off in 2 0r 3 years--if i get more out of them then great.The one that last us the longest when i first got married was second hand--maybe because it had less washing than years later with 3 kids.
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 28th Feb 2013 11:42pm
Hi cameraman
Tried to pm you but box full. We probably do know each other.Hubby worked there too. Miss the place and all the people. Im still loyal to the candy brand though .
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 1st Mar 2013 1:47am
Hope I'm not going off topic too much here (it is laundry related) but which tumble dryers are the best, the condensers or the vented ones?
Also, Cameraman do you only work for Hotpoint or do you also do repairs on washing machines in people's homes too?
Posted By: cameraman Re: Washing machine........which one!! - 2nd Mar 2013 10:27am
Hi Pegsgirl, inbox is empty so could it be your end ?

Hi Elizabeth,
The vented dryers are better at drying the clothes but can be a pain with the hose and you can also suffer with condensation. Condenser dryers take longer to dry the items but they are more convenient.
I'm actually a service engineer and work direct for Hotpoint/Indesit visiting peoples homes but in my previous job I worked on ALL makes and models of appliances such as washing machines, dryers, cookers (gas and electric) dishwashers and all refrigeration from Hotpoint, Hoover, Whirlpool, Beko, LG, Samsung, Zanussi, Electrolux, Admiral, Maytag etc
© Wirral-Wikiwirral