Forums
Posted By: jabber_Ish police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 11:41am
police road fuel testing van floating around wallasey doh

do people still mess about with red diesel
Posted By: Anonymous Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 1:48pm
I think it's those lovely people, the Customs that run the Road Fuel Testing Units rather than the police. They may use the services of Mr Plod to ensure you stop when flagged down though.

If you caught using red diesel in your car, big fine and they can grab your car. They DON'T have sense of humour at all !!

Posted By: Colgo Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 3:05pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

If you caught using red diesel in your car, big fine and they can grab your car. They DON'T have sense of humour at all !!

Is that the voice of experience talking ?
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 3:27pm
I would`nt chance it at 85pence a ltr or round abouts
Posted By: Anonymous Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 3:29pm
ha.ha. No. I did have a snigger at them when I first got the Pinz. I got pulled in a combined Customs and VSOA check. They were just curious I think to give this "thing" the once over.

A clean sheet on everything (of course). Hawkeyed Customs geyser spots the add-on fuel tank underneath. "What's in that" says geezer with glint in his eyes (thinks "Got him"). "Tank for the red diesel" says I. Geezer tries to look important and pulls himself up to his full 4'-6" height. "Are you using that as road fuel?" "No" says I. With that he dips the proper fuel tank and lo and behold.... full of petrol !!!

Geezer ask to look in the cab at the engine. Show him the lump thing with spark plugs, carbs etc on. "What the red diesel for then?" "My cab heater". Geezer looks reeeeeel pissed off while his mates try not to laugh.

"On your way then".

Oh boy, I DID enjoy that ! There was a sick pikie-looking individual in a Transit pickup in front of me who being put through the mangle big time. Just as I pulled away, he was being put in the back of a police patrol vehicle.

Every now and again things DO go right !!
Posted By: spider Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 4:03pm
I had a work mate who had a full size coach and coverted it to carry his rally car in the back plus living quarters,Got cought by customs using RED..Got big fine,lost his coach and got the sack for robbin the RED from work..poor bugger..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 4:07pm
Oops !
Posted By: jimbob Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 8:41pm
never mind poor bugger. like it or not the law is the law, live by it or fall by it.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: police road fuel van - 13th May 2011 8:46pm
I just hope the previous owner of my car has not been using it.
Posted By: Historybook Re: police road fuel van - 14th May 2011 8:52am
Our works Land Rover got pulled up twice in six weeks during 2009, not near work though !.

VOSA set up camp opposite our building in Wrexham on a regular basis, anything with wheels seems to be fair game, i have seen some interesting gesticulating going on, some pace up and down awaiting their fate, others stand their ground and start shouting !, it makes for good entertainment !.
Posted By: TheDr Re: police road fuel van - 14th May 2011 1:23pm
I've just found out that although the cooking oil that I run my 4x4 on is duty exempt (up to 2,500 litres per year) the white spirit that I add to thin it down isn't, and if/when they dip your tank HMRC can see what's in it.

Revenue on it is about 20p-30p a litre, and I add under half a litre for every 20, so a full tank is about 50p in tax.

I've just downloaded the form from the HMRC website and scribbled what I use on the back, if nothing else it stops all the hassle at the roadside.
Posted By: Helles Re: police road fuel van - 14th May 2011 5:43pm
I use part chip oil in my mini bus. God knows what they mix it with though.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: police road fuel van - 16th May 2011 6:51pm
The place next to my work got raided a few years back,HM Customs& Rev as they were selling Red Diesel fill your tank for a tenner they impounded nearly every car on the site as well as a taxi and the security guards Range Rover which was parked in another building as he didnt even work there .... However there was a car which was full of Red that belong to one of the guys in there which he uses to come to work in, They could`nt touch it and he got off with a huge fine,
Why ............. He had no tax .. laugh! I nearly pass the fags around
Posted By: Nigel Re: police road fuel van - 17th May 2011 8:12am
Originally Posted by jabber
police road fuel testing van floating around wallasey doh

do people still mess about with red diesel

I would think so the price of fuel today!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral