Forums
Posted By: granny Casper Specials - 23rd Aug 2020 4:39pm

Thought we should have a special world news site for Casper. 'Casper Specials'
He needs distracting from Covid and Boris.. they're just not healthy for him. All contributions welcome.

So this is far more interesting, Casper. You need to get out more.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/21/a-400-year-old-ship-has-been-found-in-the-baltic-sea
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 23rd Aug 2020 8:12pm

Indonesian Volcano

https://www.euronews.com/video/2020/08/23/indonesia-sinabung-volcano-spews-new-burst-of-hot-ash
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 23rd Aug 2020 8:13pm

Grey reef sharks have a ‘social network’ of long-term friends

https://www.euronews.com/living/202...ve-a-social-network-of-long-term-friends
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Casper Specials - 24th Aug 2020 6:41am
Hahaha!
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 24th Aug 2020 9:06am

Verticle Farming.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/crop-management/why-vertical-farming-is-growing-in-the-uk

Being able to produce crops 365 days a year, without the need for pesticides or much human intervention, while being unaffected by the weather, will appeal to many growers after such a prolonged, wet autumn.

Vertical farming – sometimes called indoor farming – is the practice of growing plants under fully controlled conditions in buildings in many stacked layers, without solar light.

Unlike glasshouse production, which relies on sunlight, it makes use of LED lighting to provide different wavelengths of light, according to crop and growth stage need.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 24th Aug 2020 9:59am

Originally Posted by granny

Verticle Farming.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/crop-management/why-vertical-farming-is-growing-in-the-uk

Being able to produce crops 365 days a year, without the need for pesticides or much human intervention, while being unaffected by the weather, will appeal to many growers after such a prolonged, wet autumn.

Vertical farming – sometimes called indoor farming – is the practice of growing plants under fully controlled conditions in buildings in many stacked layers, without solar light.

Unlike glasshouse production, which relies on sunlight, it makes use of LED lighting to provide different wavelengths of light, according to crop and growth stage need.

oh dear, spelt Vertical wrongly. Fingers go across the keyboard like a stroke of lightening.. sometimes too fast to keep up with ! You know how it is ?

Above correction.. Vertical
Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 24th Aug 2020 10:56am
Thank you for thinking of my well being granny, I know deep down you really care about me, it's that Boris that's stolen you away, Oop's there I go again., wink
Posted By: cools Re: Casper Specials - 24th Aug 2020 11:18am
Ooooh thought that was the end of a beautiful friendship there but glad you still speaking ha..well Blondie is quite a powerful rival to have Casper but I know you’ll never give up ,ha....
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 25th Aug 2020 10:55pm

Boris didn't steal me away, Casper. Never !

Just a shame Spitting Image isn;t still going, Cools. It could have been the only programme to continue through Covid and in all honesty with some of the characters sitting in the ' house' these days, it would have been a hoot.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 25th Aug 2020 10:57pm

9 reasons to Back British Farming in 2020

UK farming practices are known to be some of the most sustainable and environmentally friendly in the world

https://creditonmilling.co.uk/9-reasons-to-back-british-farming-in-2020/
Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 26th Aug 2020 7:19am

Boris didn't steal me away, Casper. Never !

Just a shame Spitting Image isn;t still going, Cools. It could have been the only programme to continue through Covid and in all honesty with some of the characters sitting in the ' house' these days, it would have been a hoot.

Right on granny, just watching Gavin Williamson, a beret and we have Frank Spencer, better not mention Diane Abbott for obvious reasons.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Casper Specials - 26th Aug 2020 8:24am
Funny you should say that about Spitting Image... anyone have Britbox?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYF6XM0Qgec
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 28th Aug 2020 6:03am

No, don;t have Britbox. What a pity.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 28th Aug 2020 6:13am
Good morning

We have dormant seeds 2000 yrs old that germinate and grow, we have Greenland sharks that live to 300 plus yrs, we found a 405 yr old clam,(the animal died when the researchers were coounting it's rings ! ) Now 100 million year old bacteria which is still alive has been discovered beneath the ocean floor.

Could Noah have lived to the equivalent to our 950 yrs and could we live to be 1 million yrs old ?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2016/08/greenland-sharks-animals-science-age/

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...s/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 1st Sep 2020 7:49pm

Sorry about the ads every few minutes, but easy to skip and enjoyable otherwise, Pirate Casper smile

Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 1st Sep 2020 9:45pm

Just found this video. Although not UK, some excellent footage and a lovely salute to all the brave men of the seas, world wide.

Did you ever sail the Sea of Marmara ,Casper ?
We did, 13 crew and myself. We had sailed from Pireas, Greece where I had just received the results from my pregnancy test, taken in Malta.
Setting sail for Istanbul, we entered the Marmara and not being able to recollect how much later that was 2 days 3 days maybe , we sailed into a storm, which made the usual 'rock and rolling' extremely tame in comparison.
For three days and three nights we didn;t see the sky through the porthole, waves were constant over the top of the bridge, it was as if it would never end. It also seemed we might not survive.
Doors battoned , no cooked food, strapped to my bunk with life jacket under one side of the mattress to prevent rolling out. The other side was the wall.
If one dared to move outside the cabin to the galley in an attempt to find a few scraps of food such as crackers and cheese or maybe an apple, it was one easy move ! Stand outside the cabin door and wait for the lurch to push you forward to the other end on the corridoor. Down a few stairs and the same process until confronted with the galley. Ha !

It was scary, very scary ! The radar had broken, so we didn't know where we where, the engineers were only able to manage an hour on and an hour off in the engine room, as they were being thrown all over the place ....... for 3 days and nights !

I remember saying to my husband,, " I'm scared " His reply was "were all scared ".. Pretty comforting words.

Faced with that situation, made me look for something to hang onto ....... ironically, when there is nowhere else to go, and you think you know what might happen, it's a very lonely place. I prayed, prayed so hard, and I believe others did too, but that was my rock in a situation nobody had any control over. I had something to grasp hold of.

We arrived in one piece at Istanbul, it was snowing and cold, and the expereince seemed to fade from our memories, just like an every day experience . I don't even remember anyone mentioning it again. It was just one of those things and ironically, I always get a thrill from seeing these ships in rough seas . Absolutely, love them, and the motion on the vessel as we watch through someone elses lense is like being in the very same place again, it gives such a thrill. Pretty crazy really.

See the third ship in this video, that is exactly what we experienced for those days and nights, with no let up.,

This video ,taken I believe in the seas of Marmara, pays tribute to many but there are many more.

My heart goes out to these guys, who seldom get recognition for their efforts, their bravery and their heroic acts.

This video is not todays news, but the same news we dont generally hear about happens everyday, somewhere.

Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 2nd Sep 2020 9:07am
Good video granny, and very apt as its Merchant Navy day on the third, so we can reflect on all those that lost their lives during the war, not only did they fight the weather but faced threats from enemy action, imagine being in a lifeboat for 28 days or more, yes sailed through the sea of Mamara but as a passenger on a cruise, most of my sea time was spent out the far east, heavy weather, smashed lifeboats, cargo shifting, can't stay in your bunk, yes must admit thoughts do cross your mind, just took comfort knowing we were surrounded by good British steel and shipbuilding and the best trained seamen in the world.
Posted By: cools Re: Casper Specials - 2nd Sep 2020 3:32pm
Ooh no good watching that if you suffer from sea sickness ha...interesting story you tell Granny of your voyage , it’s so scary when you see those waves . I have done abit of sailing in my youth and being in waves like that in a yacht is no joke and yes you do pray to God to help you. We were rescued by the Cornish lifeboat and seeing their lights coming for you , well such relief and you thank God and those brave lifeboat men and women.... Never underestimate the sea it’s like an entity that can grab you and either show mercy or spit you out dead .
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 9:20am
Cools, , experience counts and gives a diffierent view. My goodness, you were lucky, but that's a story to tell your grandchildren one day.

@ Casper. Can't possibly imagine those guys being caught up in storms at the same time as enemy action. Most of them only young, but so very brave when they had to be, for all those at home .

As today is Merchant Navy Day, pointed out by Casper, here is the The Red Ensign , the flag flown by the British Merchant Navy has been flown since 1707 . We pay homage.

Attached picture redensign.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 10:19am
I didn't realise it was Merchant Navy Day today! If I had a red duster I'd put it out. My Granddad was a Captain in the Merchant Navy; I'm lucky enough to have his continuous certificate of discharge recording all the ships he was on, with dates, and even letters of testimonial written by Captains under whom he served when he was learning the trade in his teens from 1913. 'Strictly sober and attentive to his duties' was in every letter and 'strictly sober' was always underlined! He was mostly in British waters in later years, on the Spillers grain ships, so was spared the horrors of the Atlantic convoys; was also at D+3 in WW2, ferrying American GIs across the channel. He was a small man, but strong in body and character. His father was a dock pilot in South Wales.

My great-uncle Ernie was in the Royal Navy and was at the battle of Jutland on HMS Thunderer, so I suppose you could say the sea's in the family; however, I do get miserably seasick so I'm not watching that video, thanks all the same!
Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 10:44am
I like the Red Duster granny, its sad that its only recently the Merchant Navy has been given some well deserved recognition, its a shame that a lot of veterans have missed the opportunity to take their place on the many parades that we have, there is a veterans badge that can be claimed from the government for those MN lads and lasses that have served in a war zone, in a lot of cases survivors were treated in a shabby manner by the governments of the day regarding war pension entitlement a lot having been POW,s. sailed with a few that had been prisoners of the Japs.
Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 10:50am
I like the Red Duster granny, its sad that its only recently the Merchant Navy has been given some well deserved recognition, its a shame that a lot of veterans have missed the opportunity to take their place on the many parades that we have, there is a veterans badge that can be claimed from the government for those MN lads and lasses that have served in a war zone, in a lot of cases survivors were treated in a shabby manner by the governments of the day regarding war pension entitlement a lot having been POW,s. sailed with a few that had been prisoners of the Japs.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 11:54am
Originally Posted by casper

Our generation and those who follow, really have no idea and as we know, many kept their dreadful memories to themselves .

It was Greenwood wanting a red duster, Casper. Have you got one ?
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 11:56am

PQ17

Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 12:51pm
As requested for Greenwood

Attached picture red2.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Casper Specials - 3rd Sep 2020 4:05pm
Thanks - that's animpressive-looking model ship in the case in the background!
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 6th Sep 2020 6:54am

It IS an impressive looking model !

Another Japanese ship got into trouble a few days ago. All efforts to save lives have now stopped.

The lives of over 40 men and 6000 cattle lost !

It is not even conceivable to conjour up a picture. Horrendous !
Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 6th Sep 2020 8:20am

It IS an impressive looking model !

Another Japanese ship got into trouble a few days ago. All efforts to save lives have now stopped.

The lives of over 40 men and 6000 cattle lost !

It is not even conceivable to conjour up a picture. Horrendous !

Yes I believe the coastguard have picked up another crewman from a liferaft.

The model is not mine, the picture was "borrowed" from a friends site.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 6th Sep 2020 12:58pm

Never the less, a very nice model and picture, Casper.

I made a mistake , its an Australian ship that's gone down , not a Japanese one. One more rescued is good news for one more family.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 6th Sep 2020 1:17pm

... actually not sure who the ship belonged to.regiistered in Panama to a company in Jordan, and the company that manages it based in Hamburg ! but it's time shipping of livestock was stopped.
It brings tears for that little guy.

Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 6th Sep 2020 7:56pm
You just reminded me talking about cattle, we used to pick up cattle as deck cargo in Jibouti and discharge in Port Tufik, they would just pick the poor things up in a cargo net and sometimes their legs would be caught up and just dump them on deck.
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 7th Sep 2020 7:34am

cry

I so hope that live meat exports are stopped from UK, now we've left the EU. We have no idea where they end up, but often in ME countries. Then there's no trace, road and sea. Weeks on end of travelling in heat, no water, crammed together .
People scream about the occasional fox hunt in this country, well they need to start screaming about the thousands of lambs, claves and other cattle, that are regulalry shipped alive. A prolonged journey of misery and suffering, pain and fear .
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 28th Oct 2020 10:29pm

Another special for Casper.. who has gone very quiet.

Amazing, his son gave him just 4 notes to arrange !.

Posted By: casper Re: Casper Specials - 29th Oct 2020 8:47am
An amazing accomplishment indeed, he must have dug into the very depths of his mind and concentration, it makes one think does dementia clear now and then akin to a break in the clouds and enable some clarity for a short time.

I must admit not a lot going on with "Wiki" at the moment, so it has been quiet, looking forward to putting the gloves on again, so we can resume our sparring sessions. love casper xxx
Posted By: granny Re: Casper Specials - 24th Dec 2020 4:25pm
Time to de-stress. XXX

https://www.noradsanta.org/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral