Forums
Posted By: granny German Elections - 22nd Sep 2017 4:56pm

How do you see the outcome of the German Elections ? Mr Merkel seems to have been at the forefront but in the present climate with a lot of Germans anti- refugee, anti-Muslim, could the far right come into it's own again ?
I assume a different Chancellor would make Brexit negotiations a different kettle of fish all around, and Schultz has never been a particularly 'nice' sort of chap.
Maybe we will get another surprise . Macron, Trump all the surprises of the 2016's and May almost lost after a confident start.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-41340206/how-angela-merkel-rose-to-power-to-lead-germany
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: German Elections - 22nd Sep 2017 5:02pm
Merkel will walk it, thanks to Germany's dominant position in the EU they are financially quite well off compared to other EU countries. The West German population aren't going to risk their wealth.
Posted By: casper Re: German Elections - 22nd Sep 2017 5:24pm
Merkel will win, but the far right are making gains, a few more bombings or Muslims stamping their feet and things could change.
Posted By: snowhite Re: German Elections - 23rd Sep 2017 12:46pm
Bottom line, Germany is lost just like Sweden,France etc.

Just watch, The UK is heading that way too.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: German Elections - 23rd Sep 2017 4:43pm
Don't forget Germany's falling population. Without immigrants, they are facing economic collapse in a few decades and they know it.

Merkels welcoming policy was not solely based on altruism. I don't think the right wings stand a chance there either. The country has seen - thanks to Hitler - where that leads!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: German Elections - 23rd Sep 2017 5:46pm
But there is still higher unemployment in East Germany than West Germany, they should have ridden with the low unemployment figures to force a balance of industry across the halves. Likewise average income is still considerably lower in East Germany this will continue to cause social problems if something isn't done about it.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: German Elections - 24th Sep 2017 9:22pm
I think we are in no position to lecture Germany about inequality across their country given the grotesque inequalities between central London and the rest.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral