Forums
"In the Wirral the figure is almost three times higher than this average, according to figures from the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC)"

SOURCE
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 9th Sep 2017 11:25am
Why? wonder what other factors come into play like unemployment, depression, hopelessness etc.
Ironically I remember the sign along the top chester road saying "Wirral...A Pleasant Place To Grow" Just need to add fat or big !

Posted By: jimbob Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 9th Sep 2017 12:57pm
lazy springs to mind
Posted By: Habdab Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 9th Sep 2017 10:58pm
Not surprising when you consider how many eating places have sprung up in Wallasey alone in the last 20 years.
It was just the odd cafe and chippy when I was a lad, not any more. Chip shops, Takeaways, Pizza places, Sandwich stores, Fried Chicken shops, Burger shops etc, etc. The list is endless.
Posted By: keef666 Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 10th Sep 2017 2:37pm
Yes there is a lot of places to eat these days, but don't forget they also employ people, the trouble with fat people, and they are fat and not disabled as they like to think, is they are bone idle, The doctors should send them to boot camps. I have three part time jobs, which see's me out at 5.30am and home again around 7.00pm seven days a week, can't remember when i had a holiday last, could have been last year, i have lost over two stone in the eighteen months, thats all down to hard work, little time to eat or [sleep for that matter]
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 10th Sep 2017 9:07pm
Not that simple keef. Lot of "fat" people work. Lot of "fat" people are fit. Lot of people work long hours but in a non manual job. Was wondering why Wirral should have such a higher rate.
I was told by doc I was borderline obese on their body mass index. I have a gardening job that keeps me fairly active but age catching up and back problems prevent much exercise. My so called problem is not laziness but lifestyle (too many biccies)
Originally Posted by fish5133
Not that simple keef. Lot of "fat" people work. Lot of "fat" people are fit. Lot of people work long hours but in a non manual job. Was wondering why Wirral should have such a higher rate.
I was told by doc I was borderline obese on their body mass index. I have a gardening job that keeps me fairly active but age catching up and back problems prevent much exercise. My so called problem is not laziness but lifestyle (too many biccies)

Likewise I am borderline obese on the BMI scale, I'm pretty active, walk a fair bit and play active sport.

The Government/NHS are gradually getting round to admitting they were wrong on dietary advice(yet again). Previous advice was to avoid saturated fats (ie animal fat) but it turns out they are nowhere near as harmful as they believed and certainly have little to do with having high cholesterol. The real killer is carbohydrates ie starchy food and sugars which includes bread, potatoes, carrots, apples and many other things. If carbohydrates and meat are mixed it can make things worse.

The Atkins diet was ridiculed when it came out but now it is realised that its actually pretty good provided the meat isn't seared (which converts it into carcinogens).

Basically you need to force your body to digest the energy from protein but when carbohydrates are around it doesn't bother and a lot of digested carbohydrate ends up as stored fat as well as the disadvantages of sugar (starch is changed into sugar quite readily during digestion).

Butter is definitely back in, citrus fruits, eggs, fibre, leaves and most above-ground vegetables are good. Below ground vegetables are normally full of starch.

My problem is wanting something to "fill" me and in recent years I've been using a lot of bread but bread contains a lot of carbohydrates in the form of starch as well as added sugar and that is probably what has piled my weight on - as well as age.

In calorie terms I am eating less than I ever have done but my weight would say otherwise. I am thinking of substituting Yogurt for my bread, Yogurt is not difficult to make and that way you can ensure there is no added sugar.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 10th Sep 2017 10:32pm

Well I don't believe it ! Go look at Suffolk folk in the supermarkets on a Saturday !

One thing that we don't tend to do on average is drink enough water. We tend to drink tea, coffee, juice, coke, beer, wine, anything with flavour. If we had a few glasses of water a day, it is known to help with a) toxins and b) weight loss.

Apparently coffee also absorbs Vit.B6, which is needed for the nervous system. Not sure what impact that would have but I think it has an effect on the metabolism , slowing down burning up excess fat etc.
Posted By: assassin Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 1:35pm
The doctors have a list they go by

1 do you smoke? if yes that's why you're sick

2 do you drink? if so that's why you're sick

3 do you exercise? if no this is why you're sick

I was told for years I was underweight so I put some weight on to be told I was overweight so now I eat what I like, why eat like a rabbit to live 5 maybe 10 years more but feeling "I could kill a full English everyday or I could go some bacon" but I'll put on 5 pounds so I'll have a tic tac for tea.
Posted By: assassin Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 1:35pm
The doctors have a list they go by

1 do you smoke? if yes that's why you're sick

2 do you drink? if so that's why you're sick

3 do you exercise? if no this is why you're sick

I was told for years I was underweight so I put some weight on to be told I was overweight so now I eat what I like, why eat like a rabbit to live 5 maybe 10 years more but feeling "I could kill a full English everyday or I could go some bacon" but I'll put on 5 pounds so I'll have a tic tac for tea.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 2:04pm
Assassin I think the bacon might be repeating on you smile
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 5:30pm

did someone say BACON ??
Posted By: venice Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 6:47pm
Lol Dilly!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 7:24pm
Granny doesn't like bacon smile
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 11th Sep 2017 9:22pm
She likes live bacon not crispy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: assassin Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 12th Sep 2017 11:38am
Originally Posted by Dilly
Assassin I think the bacon might be repeating on you smile

I think I was logged into pc and laptop at the same time crazy
Posted By: assassin Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 12th Sep 2017 6:51pm
It doesn't make sense wirral has the fattest people then you read somewhere else that wirral is one of the top places people have to use foodbanks didn't the wirral get best place to live award not so long ago?
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 13th Sep 2017 10:06am
Exactly. This article doesn't even rank Birkenhead:

The top five overweight cities and towns in the UK included Boston - with 34 per cent obese, Barnsley, Mansfield, Rotherham and Fenland.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/831465/obesity-mapped-north-south-England-divide

This article, from September, shows Wirral isn't too bad:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/0/englands-obesity-hotspots-does-area-compare/

As for the original article, besides being from 2016 and based on old data, the data is actually:

Out of every 100,000 people in the area there were 2,894 admissions where medics recorded a "primary or secondary" diagnosis of obesity.

This doesn't mean that Wirral is the fattest region, it just means that more cases have been recorded by doctors in hospitals in the area.

This could be down to more observant doctors, more doctors just putting down "obesity" as a matter of course, or more people being referred to Wirral.
Originally Posted by Gibbo
This doesn't mean that Wirral is the fattest region, it just means that more cases have been recorded by doctors in hospitals in the area.

This could be down to more observant doctors, more doctors just putting down "obesity" as a matter of course, or more people being referred to Wirral.

But equally it could be indicative that more people in Wirral are at the doctors because of complications due to obesity.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 13th Sep 2017 4:46pm

Well I attribute it to the French Fries, sauerkraut and sausage, and Belgium waffles. Without which, we will be so much healthier . smile
Posted By: assassin Re: Wirral Is The Fattest Region In The Country - 13th Sep 2017 5:45pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by Gibbo

But equally it could be indicative that more people in Wirral are at the doctors because of complications due to obesity.
it could be that the wirral has one of the biggest amount of people on the dole or on pip, if on pip you have to see a doctor, be it your doc then the doles doc and as we know the dole like to have more people off the pip list their doc can put that they're just fat.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral