Forums
Posted By: granny No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 9:59am

Nobody knows what it's about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39627690

Theresa May is to make a surprise statement in Downing Street at 11:15 BST after her Cabinet meets.

In an unusual move, Number 10 did not announce what subject she would address but statements by the PM in the street are usually reserved for big announcements.

There is speculation that Mrs May could call a snap general election.

Downing Street has always denied she will call a vote before the next scheduled poll in 2020.

BBC assistant political editor Norman Smith says broadcasters usually know what is about to be announced, but on this occasion they do not.
Posted By: venice Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 10:13am
Sounded a good speech to me. Dont believe she's only just come to the decision to call it though - Im suprised its taken til now . Right move though in my opinion. (Not that I agree with all the C policies , but given the present situation, an election right now is the way to protect us during Brexit)AS LONG AS SHE WINS BIG! Poisoned dwarf will do her best against it .
Posted By: granny Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 11:05am

She did say she would not have a snap general election. My feeling is, that she's been pushed into it and wouldn't mind betting that Michael Heseltine has something to do with it.

After he was sacked a few weeks ago, in an interview I saw, he vowed he would not rest and would continue to fight against Brexit. He was also the one responsible for Maggie Thatcher going. Maybe he just doesn't like women .

I think it's a good thing anyway. With all the argy bargy, the continual unrest ,challenges from the House of Lords, that bloody Gina Miller and her lawyer who is now an MP for Labour, and all that goes on courtesy of the BBC, let's put it to bed once and for all. If she is re-elected great, because I think she's doing a good job. If she isn't then so be it, and may the best man and his elected MP's be able to come together and form a unity to take us through the traumas and upheavles of the years ahead. If Tim Farron wins, then we can all call for another referendum on the final decisions made in the Brexit negotiations.
Posted By: cools Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 1:15pm
Crikey I got all worried when I heard she was going to announce something this morning. I could hear Churchill's words when he announced we are at war. Thought she had teamed up with Trump against N Korea, you know me a born worrier! I'm quite surprised at this move but in my opinion she's the only one good enough to be prime minister, deffo not JC...politics like a chess game isn't it. Come June Checkmate.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 1:27pm
I think they should of done this right after Cameron left no-one got to vote her in which I still think is wrong, if the pm walks they should call a general electric right way.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 5:37pm
Originally Posted by cools
Crikey I got all worried when I heard she was going to announce something this morning. I could hear Churchill's words when he announced we are at war.

Churchill? You've got that wrong.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 5:39pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
I think they should of done this right after Cameron left no-one got to vote her in which I still think is wrong, if the pm walks they should call a general electric right way.

have
Posted By: cools Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 5:45pm
You're right Spellbinder, my mistake it was indeed Neville Chamberlain. I wasn't actually around when he announced it but have heard it many times and just assumed it was Churchill. Must do better!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 8:09pm
Originally Posted by Spellbinder

have

Kettle!
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 8:22pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

have

Kettle!

???
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 8:35pm
You criticised someone's grammar with something that grammatically doesn't exist, a single non-capitalised word that wasn't an exclamation. I responded with the exclamation "Kettle!" short for kettle calling the pot black.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 9:33pm
Bit of an anti climax after the media hype. I think she has been leaned on. Last throw of a dice to scupper Brexit
Will we see a "scupper brexit party" emerging? Maybe UKIPs time is not yet over till the fat lady sings.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 18th Apr 2017 9:52pm
Just to be clear and remind ourselves that its a womens prerogative to be late and to change their minds (aka lie)

Posted By: Spellbinder Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 7:50am
You criticised someone's grammar with something that grammatically doesn't exist, a single non-capitalised word that wasn't an exclamation. I responded with the exclamation "Kettle!" short for kettle calling the pot black.

My single word post ("have") was just that - a single word post. It wasn't meant to be a grammatically correct sentence so demonstrates no error at all. As a post it worked perfectly well - you seemed to understand it with no difficulty. Incidentally - the expression to which you refer should, I believe, be "the pot calling the kettle black".
Posted By: Dilly Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 7:58am
Wow ! It's just like having Chris back smile .
Posted By: granny Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 8:45am

My single word post ("have") was just that - a single word post. It wasn't meant to be a grammatically correct sentence so demonstrates no error at all. As a post it worked perfectly well - you seemed to understand it with no difficulty. Incidentally - the expression to which you refer should, I believe, be "the pot calling the kettle black".

There's a pair of you raftl
Posted By: casper Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 8:46am
Enter a right wing Tory government, it would appear to be a brexit general election, because that's all I have heard since the announcement, What about social justice, the NHS, schools, public spending?

Posted By: granny Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 9:05am

That's the media making it into what seems a Brexit General Election. Particularly the BBC who are pro-remain and have never let one day pass since June last year without going on about it.

BBC for one are going to be the fly in the ointment, if they use their propaganda to brainwash people into thinking that is all the election is about. It will then become a battle on that very issue, as all parties will not be able to move away or allow that one issue be over shadowed. What's the betting Tony Blair will be back in harness with them, and they'll be praising his faults if he can use his persuasive skills.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 4:05pm

have

Attached picture grammar-nazi2.jpg
Posted By: casper Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 19th Apr 2017 5:52pm
Woulda, shoulda, and coulda. raftl
Posted By: Salmon Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 21st Apr 2017 11:08pm
Nice point, Dilly but it is not really like having Chris back as Chris was only ever positive and never condescending or argumentative.Chris suggested better ways of expressing one's thoughts without ever being rude or confrontational.He never, ever tried to suggest that he was better than another but simply let his words illustrate that he had a better knowledge of the correct use of grammar.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 22nd Apr 2017 5:36pm
So do we still have an election in 2020 now?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 22nd Apr 2017 5:42pm
So do we still have an election in 2020 now?

I believe each general election gives a 4 year tenure so the 2020 election will probably not happen.
Posted By: Moonbeam Re: No.10 Announcement at 11.15am - 24th Apr 2017 4:37pm
As far as I know each UK government has a five year term and the option was there to call an early election but now there is a fixed five year term thanks to the Cameron/Clegg coalition, that was why Theresa May had to get it voted through parliament.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral