Forums
Posted By: granny Nepal Earthquake - 26th Apr 2015 12:16pm
If anyone wishes to donate to the UNICEF Nepal Earthquake appeal they can donate £5 by texting NEPAL to 70123

UNICEF are on the ground in Nepal.

http://www.unicef.org.uk/unicefs-work/un-convention/Donating-by-SMS/
Posted By: Mark Re: Nepal Earthquake - 27th Apr 2015 9:50am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_JC_wIWUC2U

Everest Base Camp Avalanche
[youtube]_JC_wIWUC2U[/youtube]
Posted By: granny Re: Nepal Earthquake - 29th Apr 2015 8:47am
Unicef warned that at least 2.8 million children are in urgent need of humanitarian assistance, saying its staff in the country were reporting dwindling supplies of water and food, power outages, and downed mobile networks.

Ewan McGregor
✔ ‎@mcgregor_ewan
Please help children in danger in #Nepal. If your in the UK please Text NEPAL to 70123 to donate £5. Thanks. @UNICEF_uk

Posted By: venice Re: Nepal Earthquake - 29th Apr 2015 10:35am
Shocking. On my way to the bank today so will donate there. Just hope the distribution/routing of relief money is less corrupt than elsewhere in the world. The pictures of devastation are just dreadful, and the pic of that person in the paper the other day, buried up to his neck in debris , will haunt me for years to come.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Nepal Earthquake - 29th Apr 2015 5:37pm
So sad.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 11:40am
I think we in the UK should be at the forefront on aid to Nepal,
diverting if need besome of our foreign aid to some countries. It shouldn't be only relying on charities
If the Nepal gov agreed, If there is still a Ghurka regiment, I'd send them (with the means) over there to supply relief to the hard to reach areas.
Remember Nepal has supplied us with soldiers for hundreds of years to fight in most of our wars
Posted By: granny Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 2:11pm
We have sent team of the Ghurka's there already DWC. They went with the RAF.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 2:21pm
Originally Posted by granny
We have sent team of the Ghurka's there already DWC. They went with the RAF.

Thanks for that.
You must be better than me at searching or catching the news
bowdown
granny
Will be watching 8 0' clock question time and Nigel Farage later although I don't expect to hear any yes or no to a direct awkward question just the same boring answers

apologies for going off important topic
Posted By: granny Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 2:34pm
It was mentioned on the news channel a few days ago.

Nige baby ? Got to go out so will miss it. As you say, probably more of the same.

Did you see the 4 month old baby rescued after a couple of days? In the paper today. Poor little soul, grey with dust etc. Hoping it's little lungs are not damaged.
Posted By: venice Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 3:24pm
I agree wholeheartedly about the foreign aid Derek . Im sick of lots of it going to what appear to be not needy destinations. What a brilliant opportunity right now, to pull out of the unecessary ones, and help Nepal. Be a lot less complainants than if they did it any other time -who would dare complain under the shocking circumstances.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 4:00pm
Originally Posted by venice
I agree wholeheartedly about the foreign aid Derek . Im sick of lots of it going to what appear to be not needy destinations. What a brilliant opportunity right now, to pull out of the unecessary ones, and help Nepal. Be a lot less complainants than if they did it any other time -who would dare complain under the shocking circumstances.
withthat
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 10:00pm
my wife had a cold phone call allegedly from Christian Aid asking if she would donate £100 for Nepal disaster. When she told them she wouldn't donate anything in response to a cold call and that she has just lost her job (which she has) the caller asked if she could manage £50. They then told her they were an agency acting for Christian Aid---phone chuggers taking there cut! Think I will email Christian aid to see if its genuine.
Posted By: hagar Re: Nepal Earthquake - 30th Apr 2015 11:09pm
I will not donate money to charities as when you see "charity workers" turning up to disaster areas in there brand new 4by4's after spending nights in the best hotels in the regions.Where does all the donated money go?Best to donate clothing or consumables that actually get to the front line.
Posted By: granny Re: Nepal Earthquake - 1st May 2015 8:20am
Just posted my contribution of two bottle of water and sleeping bag to Nepal, Central Post Office. Cost £20 and will arrive in about 10 days if the country is receiving post.

Tit !
Posted By: granny Re: Nepal Earthquake - 1st May 2015 9:09am
Back in the land of reality.

My admiration goes out to those 'search and rescue' teams. They are truly extremely brave, magnificent people.

I doubt they will be staying in any hotels, due to the fact there aren't any left standing!

Fish, I can't think that Christian Aid Charity or any other charity would genuinely be making begging phone calls, but there is a system by which you can donate a percentage of your phone bill to Christian Aid.. See the link. Is that maybe what your call was about ?
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/give/other/goodcall.aspx
Posted By: granny Re: Nepal Earthquake - 1st May 2015 10:51am

[youtube]E-VWg_Z8-_c[/youtube]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral