Forums
Posted By: lincle Gerry Marsden - 3rd Jan 2021 5:33pm
RIP Gerry ,fond memories of days at the Cavern . Ive treasured your picture with The Pacemakers & autographs for all these years. You’ll always be with us you’ll never walk alone.
Posted By: cools Re: Gerry Marsden - 3rd Jan 2021 6:16pm
Very sad, I loved his voice and songs and what an engaging smile he had. R.I.P.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gerry Marsden - 3rd Jan 2021 8:43pm
Nice bloke, nice family. Two songs that will never be forgotten.
Posted By: granny Re: Gerry Marsden - 3rd Jan 2021 9:02pm

Very sad to hear this news. Always a favourite.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Gerry Marsden - 3rd Jan 2021 11:15pm
My fishing club rents a pond that used to be owned by Gerry and at one end there is an overgrown landscaped bank which i cleared one day and found what looked like memorials to pets. It has an old bench on top where i guess he used to chill out.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Gerry Marsden - 4th Jan 2021 1:00pm
Well, I am sorry when anyone dies, but I couldn't stand him. He always sang dreadful dirge like pot boilers and always sang them out of tune. I think he is the only performer whose best known song sounds better when sung by 50,000 Liverpool supporters, many of whom were drunk, than his rendition.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Gerry Marsden - 4th Jan 2021 1:49pm
When I was young, one of Gerry's roadies was my Dad's apprentice for his day job; I used to have a signed pic of them, but I've no idea what happened to it. Can't say I really loved his voice on some of his hits - as North West Tonight said last night, his voice was better suited to ballads - but the fact remains that he was very popular, seemed like a decent bloke and provided an enduring football anthem, not to mention the soundtrack for the Mersey ferries more recently - not a bad musical legacy!
Posted By: lincle Re: Gerry Marsden - 4th Jan 2021 5:42pm
Apart from Excoriator he made lots of people happy & singing their heads off.What could be better than that. Ok his voice wasnt the best ,who cares not me.A lovely bloke .
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Gerry Marsden - 4th Jan 2021 10:55pm
I am very happy to accept he was a very nice man indeed. I have heard no criticism of him as a human being and would not wish him dead. I feel for his family.

But he was no singer of composer, despite what is claimed for him. He sang everything a quarter tone sharp. Enough to set your teeth on edge.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Gerry Marsden - 17th Jan 2021 11:03am
The match programme for Liverpool V Man U today has a lovely pic of Gerry on the cover, with the words to YNWA.
Posted By: lincle Re: Gerry Marsden - 17th Jan 2021 7:10pm
Thats lovely Greenwood thanks for sharing
Posted By: yoller Re: Gerry Marsden - 17th Jan 2021 11:47pm
Does anyone know where Gerry's funeral service was? The reports said only that it was 'near the Mersey". I understood he lived in the Heswall / West Kirby area.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Gerry Marsden - 18th Jan 2021 12:47am
His brother and band-mate Fred Marsden's funeral service was at Our Lady's, Formby and he was cremated at Thornton Crematorium. Our Lady's has a graveyard.

Gerry used to live in Willaston, I don't know if he moved in the last 7 years, I doubt it.
Posted By: granny Re: Gerry Marsden - 18th Jan 2021 8:00am
Probably Our Lady and St. Nicholas, Liverpool Parish Church,near the waterfront.

They all seem to emmigrate from Liverpool to Wirral, but always have such high regard for Liverpool. Wirral never gets a mention. Strange that !
There's a few near to me.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral