Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Giant rabbit startles motorist. - 17th Mar 2019 9:58am
The New Scientist this week has a report about a motorist having to stop in a country lane in Wirral because there was a "Giant Rabbit" in the way. The animal hopped over the hedge and made off. The startled driver reported the incident and an investigation revealed unusual droppings. Eventually a herd of Wallabies was discovered. They had apparently escaped from Chester Zoo during bombing in WW2 and were happily ensconsed in Wirral! I assume this all happened a long time ago in the '50s or '60s

It has the smell of an urban myth to me, but I guess it is possible. Has anyone come across any local stories about this event, if it really happened.
Posted By: Norton Re: Giant rabbit startles motorist. - 17th Mar 2019 12:45pm
It's TRUE...

WATCH FOR A WALLABY
Zoo Errant Seen In Mickle Trafford Area.
A Tatung pan wallaby which escaped from Chester Zoo about threee months ago was on Monday reported to have been seen in the Mickle Trafford area. He eluded would-be.. etc. etc.

16 August 1952 - Cheshire Observer - Chester, Cheshire, England
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Giant rabbit startles motorist. - 17th Mar 2019 6:43pm
Alas, he is presumably no longer startling motorists on the peninsula then!
Posted By: woofie Re: Giant rabbit startles motorist. - 3rd Apr 2019 6:40pm
When I was a kid in the early 70s I went fishing with my dad to Anglesey and saw a Kangaroo on the beach, but when we got closer, it was just a Greyhound having a Poo! smack
© Wirral-Wikiwirral