Forums
Posted By: Gibbo Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 12th Jul 2018 9:08am

[Linked Image]

The newly assembled hull of the RRS Sir David Attenborough is now standing on the slipway of the Cammell Laird yard in Birkenhead, awaiting launch day.

Weather and tide permitting, she should slide into the River Mersey on Saturday.

The £200m vessel will replace the James Clark Ross and the Shackleton, which between them have almost 50 years' service in support of UK polar science.

The Attenborough is the ship the public had wanted to call "Boaty McBoatface" in an online poll, before ministers stepped in to choose a more appropriate name.

She represents the largest commercial ship built in Britain in three decades.

The hull should make for quite a sight as her steelwork floats out into Liverpool's famous waters.

Planned for around lunchtime Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44780708
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 12th Jul 2018 12:02pm
Boaty McBoatface is the name the mini-subs carried by this ship will be known. So all is not lost - I just love that name.
Posted By: granny Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 12th Jul 2018 12:54pm

I could never understand why the person who came up with the ridiculous name did just that ,or how it connects in any way . It sounds like something out of kids comic.

Anyway, it will be something very special . Thanks Gibbo
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 12th Jul 2018 1:13pm
The name was by public proposals and online poll, it was James Hand that originally proposed it as a joke but it caught on.
Posted By: yoller Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 12th Jul 2018 3:33pm
The BBC report quoted here has got Cammell Laird in Birkenhead, but I bet on Saturday some media outlets will be saying the ship was built in Liverpool.

Earlier this year, the Natural Environment Research Council, which commissioned the vessel, said on its website that it was being built in Liverpool.

I contacted them and they finally made a correction after a couple of months. But on their website right now, there’s no mention of Birkenhead – it just says the ship will be launched into the Mersey.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 14th Jul 2018 10:33am
Live stream of launch ...
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 16th Jul 2018 7:23pm
Have heard the ship is unfinished and went straight back into wet dock. That crew were paid significant danger money with it not being finished and tested..
Posted By: yoller Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 16th Jul 2018 7:44pm
I'm no expert, but I think most ships are still unfinished when they're launched. For instance, here's the Mauretania after being launched at Laird's in 1938 - with still a lot of work to do, including the funnels.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 20.39.21.png
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 16th Jul 2018 8:30pm
The old way of making ships, laying the complete hull first seems to have died out, in those ships it wasn't uncommon to launch them before the engines were fitted.

This ship has been built in the modern modular method with the whole ship built in slices lengthwise, the hull sections get fastened together, it isn't complete the top superstructure has still to go on but it will be much more complete than the days of old.

The main reason to launch them early is to free up space in the valuable construction sheds so other projects can get moving apart from which the sheds aren't usually tall enough to fit much above decks.

Scheduled finsih date is October 2018.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Boaty McBoatface Launch Saturday - 17th Jul 2018 11:18am
Launching is a bit like the difference between building a house, first fix then second fix. Good to make sure it's watertight before you put anything very special inside.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral