Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Seacombe Community Centre Demololition - 1st Feb 2018 10:49pm
The Council has been notified that Seacombe Community Centre is to be demolished (its Council owned anyway).

Although no planning permission for development has been applied for, the Council have expressed interest in care housing etc being built there.

It is located in Ferry View Road, between the Kingsway ventilation tower, Lowry Bank and the prom. I presume originally the building was a primary school though I can't find any record of this.

Last time I heard about this place is was actively getting regenerated around 2014/15 or so and I believe some people were still trying to keep it open recently.

I notice the Five Bars Rest has now become Seacombe Social Club which perhaps hasn't helped.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Community Centre Demololition - 1st Feb 2018 11:04pm
oshocked Will watch with interest. A week ago today Councillor Chris Jones, at Seacombe L.P branch meeting stated that 'we are looking at re-opening the COSA'.

The Seacombe Community Centre is more of a 'pub. Although I noticed on Facebook that they have introduced a Community Shop. The old Salvation Army on Poulton Road has the same.
Posted By: Norton Re: Seacombe Community Centre Demololition - 2nd Feb 2018 3:39pm
On a poor copy of the 1954 OS map, it looks like the words 'Employment Exchange' are over that building, but it is a guess as it is very hard to make out. Perhaps someone else can see it on a better copy than mine..
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Community Centre Demololition - 2nd Feb 2018 6:16pm
I vaguely remember hearing that somewhere? think I think it was a laundrette in the 80's and 90s too.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Seacombe Community Centre Demololition - 21st Feb 2018 10:41pm
Councillor Chris Jones said earlier that the COSA was ear-marked for demolition, by the Council. It is in a state of dis-repair- on the verge of dangerous to enter.

However, there is now an 'agency' interested in the building- to use it for 'community purposes'. The building will not be sold. She said.

(In other news, planning permission to turn the former Elmees into 9 bed-sits- 3, yes THREE where to be in the shop space :shock: has been refused. Can anybody familiar with Elmees visualise 3 bed-sits in that space)?

© Wirral-Wikiwirral