Forums
Posted By: Santos Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 11:32am
Pensby Hall Care Home - Inadequate and in Special Measures.

People not washed - for 51 days in one case.

When is all this neglect going to stop and Care Homes be proper Care Homes and not hell homes for our elderly friends and relatives who deserve much much better.

See HERE for one of the most disgusting and shameful reports I have read.

See also HERE for ECHO Headlines on
it.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 4:28pm
Whilst I'm not defending many aspects of this place, washing a cantankerous person is a problem, if you use any degree of force you get slated, if the person refuses and they don't get washed you get slated - no win.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 4:31pm
The biggest scandal is the amount of money they charge to 'look after' elderly relatives. I know with what happened with my grandmother. It's a disgrace.
Posted By: granny Re: Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 4:47pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Whilst I'm not defending many aspects of this place, washing a cantankerous person is a problem, if you use any degree of force you get slated, if the person refuses and they don't get washed you get slated - no win.

How do they manage it in hospitals. Not such a different situation ? Cantankerous old people are quite often suffering from mental health issues of one description or another, the staff should be trained well enough in such matters to deal with them. No excuses are there, apart from the possibility that employing basic care workers without such training,is a cheaper option ?

Many care homes also have the problem with communication too.
Foreign staff, who the elderly can't understand and neither do they understand the elderly.

...and yes, they charge the earth to keep them quiet in a zoo, where they're not allowed out and people come and visit.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 6:39pm
What do you expect when you pay staff £7.50 an hour.and charge residents £750 per week .....motive is making money not caring. My poor mum had her thumbnail grow into her hand because it was never cut.only realised then why she would wince inpain when we or staff tried to help her up by the hands. After that we we kept our dad out of one as long as possible ..gave up job to look after himforcouple years...best decision ever made.
Posted By: Santos Re: Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 6:52pm
Basically these poor residents are living in squalor, prisoners in jails live in better conditions.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Another local care home shamed - 28th Oct 2015 8:19pm
There are too many owners that think they can live the millionaire lifestyle despite only having one or two homes, they try to keep up with the ones that own whole chains of homes.
Posted By: casper Re: Another local care home shamed - 3rd Nov 2015 11:16am
Another problem is as mentioned before the quality of staff, with people being forced to take any employment, therefore we are getting people that just want a job and have no interest in the care aspect just what's in the pay packet, I not saying this is the case in all instances as there are some dedicated people in the industry, but low wages and unsocial hours don't make an attractive option for a career, if you look at the ads there are plenty of jobs as carers so many are being forced to apply or face sanctions, wrong people wrong job.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Another local care home shamed - 3rd Nov 2015 11:47am
Rehashing Casper's words a bit - They aren't prepared to pay a decent wage, any staff worth their salt move on.
Posted By: granny Re: Another local care home shamed - 3rd Nov 2015 1:10pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
What do you expect when you pay staff £7.50 an hour.and charge residents £750 per week .....motive is making money not caring. My poor mum had her thumbnail grow into her hand because it was never cut.only realised then why she would wince inpain when we or staff tried to help her up by the hands. After that we we kept our dad out of one as long as possible ..gave up job to look after himforcouple years...best decision ever made.

My aunt was in a home, and when visiting usually found the darlings sleeping with heads bent on chests.
If you have ever tried to see out of clouded spectacles, it makes your eyes tired. My aunts glasses looked as if she'd had her head in the soup. So I gave them a clean, then another asked me if I could clean their specs. So it went on. Next thing they were all alive and looking at magazines ! A little touch of care could make all the difference for them and more fluids (water) in a day could keep their brains more alert.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral