Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 1:11am
Planning permission has been approved for Peel Holdings to create the International Trade Centre on Birkenhead West Float Docks. This will be four massive factories/units on the current Mobil site and spreading across beyond the current shipyard.

Work to demolish and decontaminate the Mobil site is expected to start very shortly.

The Centre is targeted for use by Chinese industry to include assembly, storage and trading.

Hopefully the old Rivers Streets site will also be developed for local industry to support the Trade Centre. This could be a lot of jobs created in a relatively short period of time, you never know, we may even end up with a labour shortage in the area. What I particularly like is that this will be a dockside project and may even open up more shipping transport for our beloved docks, though Peel are currently proposing to use Liverpool docks and the use of barges to transport to Birkenhead, I guess this will be in keeping with the Wirral Waters project which would limit major shipping into the West Float.

Grosvenor (Liverpool One developer) has expressed concerns and is looking at having constraints in place so that other investments (theirs by any chance?) in the area are not affected, however planning permission has been approved anyway.

CLICKY for ITC
CLICKY - Grosvenor concerns

Attached picture peel-s-international-trade-centre-341275305.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 2:14am
Wow that's a pretty large development, wonder when that will be completed?
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 8:19am
I don't see any mention of them using the existing railway line which runs along Beaufort Road & which is connected to both the Bidston -Wrexham & Rock Ferry -Chester lines.

Bob.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 10:59am
Great stuff, clap
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 11:02am
Thanks for sharing this with us Diggingdeeper!
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 11:07am
Perhaps the area can get dragged up off it's knees, and about time too. Hope this all comes off, you never really know if they are just extracting the urine and it's all just a giant Ponzi scheme.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 11:46am
I know that Peel have been had a lot of their plans delayed by the recessions and banking crisis but there's been loads and loads of talk over the last 4 years and not much action.

Comeon lets see some diggers on site asap!

From what I remember from the original plans the first two buildings are supposed to open in 2013 with the other two following within 2 years.
Posted By: Silverback Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 12:23pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The Centre is targeted for use by Chinese industry to include assembly, storage and trading.

Thinking about what we are told of the wages, working conditions, human rights, etc, etc, etc, in China.

I bet the Chinese philanthropists are queuing up to substantially raise their overheads and considerably lower their profits, just for the pleasure of employing Birkenheads unemployed.

Posted By: Handbag Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 3:45pm
The plans look fantastic, it's about time something was done to invest in the area, the project is massive and it's really going to improve Birkenhead no end, I can't wait smile The new buildings look like they will take the shine out of Liverpool One for sure.

The link to peel holdings Wirral Waters redevelopment project are here..
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/watercity/WirralWaters.html
Posted By: Shambo Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 4:24pm
Chinese manufacturers want to sell their goods to western consumers. If they set up shop in these warehoses they can hold stock and showcase their wares, which must be more tempting to UK buyers than placing an order and waiting months for manufacture, shipping and customs to do their thing, before they get their mittens on the merchandise. Did you know it's cheaper to send a plasma screen television from China to Felixstowe than it is to get it from Felixstowe to UK stores?

Good for jobs in the area and easier for UK buyers, but bad for the trade deficit.
This was planned for Wigan a few years ago
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/threat_to_chinamex_1_3203016
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 5:43pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Wow that's a pretty large development, wonder when that will be completed?

I read the whole regeneration of Birkenhead Docks will take twenty eight years, so I doubt I will see the finished project. It's supposed to be like Hong Kong with skyscapers etc, but perhaps its been toned-down since these plans were mooted.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 21st Sep 2011 6:09pm
I think you'll find this project to be well on its way within 3 years (probably a lot less), the investors have been chomping on the bit for this one. Wirral had to make quite a snap decision because there were two other possible locations.

The railway line along Beaufort Road has been part dismantled not long ago, it looked like a training exercise for railway apprentices.

I think its all good and hopefully will kick start the shopping development across the road (Bidston Dock site) and possibly Wirral Waters (which, personally, I'm not so keen on).
Posted By: granny Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 15th Jan 2012 12:04pm
Hi DD. Just skipped from 'The Royal Iris' Page with this 'click' Thanks.
Just about to start trawling through it. Looks Interesting.
As an off topic, anyone know what's happened to our very 'on' topic' friend Geekus ?
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 15th Jan 2012 12:21pm
As this side of the river have Wirral Waters, so the other side is discussing Liverpool Waters.

I have never understood why industrial buildings on this side of the Mersey benefit from a view that many would pay big bucks for.
Posted By: granny Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 15th Jan 2012 1:04pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
As this side of the river have Wirral Waters, so the other side is discussing Liverpool Waters.

I have never understood why industrial buildings on this side of the Mersey benefit from a view that many would pay big bucks for.

Well once the most beautiful view of the waterfront, and not that long ago, is now a hotch potch of allsorts. The 'three graces' were magnificent when they monopolised the night skies. They are now dwarfed. Have you noticed that the news reporting from the waterfront on Liverpool, still concentrates on a view of the Liver Building and not the new structures which have been developed. Eventually I believe that it will all look the same as any other waterfront in the world. No individuality. Great for the area, my greatest concern is for the road networks to carry the obvious and potentially, huge amount of traffic. We have one road in and one road out of Wirral, and unless another tunnel is built or bridge, the conjestion will be horrendous which could be detrimental to the whole developement eventually. So, I am conviced there will be another tunnel or bridge. Let's place our bets now and watch out ,it could be on your doorstep.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Birkenhead Iternational Trade Centre - 15th Feb 2012 8:49am
I haven't been past the site for a while (recently moved from sunny Bidston to Bebington so don't pass the site everyday on the train anymore) so has this started?

Can't wait to finally see some building work get going as we've been talking about redeveloping the docks for the last 20 years and I can't beleive something big is actually starting.

It's great that it's something functional i.e. not just offices and apartments that's going up first.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral