Forums
Posted By: diggingdeeper Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 10:33am
I don't know when this happened, but I spotted this crane accident on Microsoft LiveEarth, it is just behind the Champion Spark Plugs buildings.

Looks like it was trying to either lift the chimney or take it down. Lets hope they were trying to take it down, because in that aspect, they succeeded!

Description: Upton Crane Accident
Attached picture UptonAAODsiteAccident.jpg
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 11:17am
raftl raftl WTF???

Hope no-one was injured, but thats some funny stuff laugh
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 12:16pm
raftl nice find
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 2:43pm
wow thats mad lol
Posted By: xxbad_babexx Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 3:27pm
laffin thats mad that
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 3:33pm
Found some info about it

Originally Posted by
Firm fined £8,000 as 60-tonne crane falls

A COMPANY has been fined £8,000 after a 60-tonne crane overturned on a Merseyside building site and crushed an electricity substation.

Magistrates imposed the fine after hearing the crash, at the former Champion Spark Plug premises in Upton, could have been fatal and left a nearby brook contaminated.

Safety chiefs said they hoped the prosecution of Flintshire-based Cheshire Crane Hire Ltd would act as a wake-up call to other firms.

Wirral magistrates heard the overloaded crane was parked on a tarmac surface on March 29 last year, but its outriggers were positioned on soft ground.

It overturned while attempting to lift a 23-metre steel chimney stack from the outside wall of a brick-clad machinery room that was about to be refurbished.

The stack fell next to the boom of the crane, while the cab crushed an adjacent electricity sub station.

Over days, the crane’s diesel and hydraulic tanks leaked, contaminating the nearby brook.

Health and Safety Executive inspector Neil Jamieson said: “The company’s managing director Frank Preston estimated the weight of the tower at about six tonnes, but its actual weight was more than double that figure.”

The company was also ordered to pay £8,842 costs by magistrates after pleading guilty to failing to ensure the safety of its employee under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Today Mr Preston put the incident down to “an unfortunate accident” and added: “We always put safety first.”

He said the incident was the first significant accident in the company’s 30-year history.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...as-60-tonne-crane-falls-100252-21362922/
Posted By: bert1 Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 3:38pm
Good find Joe. July 08, so its not live earth. if DD spotted it this morning.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 3:49pm
None of these satellite maps like google earth, maps, live earth e.t.c are actually 'live'.

Usually the images are less than 5 years old
Posted By: bert1 Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 3:56pm
imagine if it was live, the trouble that would cause.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 5:38pm
Good find Joe thanks. happy
Posted By: Peachy Re: Upton Crane Accident - 6th Jun 2009 5:39pm
Hahahaha how silly of it!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Upton Crane Accident - 10th Jun 2009 1:08am
Yeah - good find Joe, I missed that!

There is no excuse for the firm - those cranes have the most annoying sound go off when they approach their weight limit, everybody knows there is another 10% available and lets the alarm go off ocasionally, but this was a long way over the load limit!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Upton Crane Accident - 10th Jun 2009 10:38am
looks to me like the out riggers were put on to the grass/mud resulting in the the veichle tipping. some one will loose their job for that with out a doubt. I've worked for Jimmy Ainscough, nice guy but he's no push over. I can see him saying it to the opperator now

"you are the weakest craine operator - GOODBYE"
© Wirral-Wikiwirral