Forums
Posted By: Wench Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 9:49am
As many of you, if not all, are aware, this weekend just gone saw the Promenade Stages Rally staged at New Brighton.

I have this morning looked through the local free press and there is not one mention about it!

I spoke to quite a few spectators on Saturday, who stumbled upon the Rally by accident as it wasn't publicised in the local press. Some would have even volunteered to marshal had they known about it!

Now I know it is not everybody's cup of tea, but surely something that brings revenue and many visitors from outside the area deserves SOME mention, even if it is just one paragraph.

I remember many many years ago when I first got interested in what was then the Sprint, it was splashed on the back pages and inside a few weeks before the actual event itself, and once over, it got a decent sized write up.

What changed?

I personally think this is a shame as it is a great day out for people of all ages. Not only that, but as New Brighton is changing and being redeveloped, surely good publicity such as the Rally should be exploited.

The newspapers focus on so much bad news, maybe this was an opportunity missed to print some good news for a change happy
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 9:58am
I totally agree with you ,on a different note my niece came third in miss new brighton and there is no mention of the competition at all in any of papers no
Posted By: Wench Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 10:04am
Congratulations to your niece clap and a big thumbsdown to the local press once again!

It's things like this that should be printed. Yes it may be trivial to some, but I'm sure your niece and the rest of the family are brimming with pride grin and rightly so!

Posted By: jonno40 Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 11:21am
Thank you for your kind comments .What makes it even worse we were not allowed to take any pictures on the stage at the end as the "press" had priority mad
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 11:35am
Ive always noticed the local press is quite crap abou that sort of thing.

Even when they did mention New Brighton Rally, there was only ever a small paragraph on it with a small picture. They advertised fastest Street Car at Oulton Park this year though, ith a small paragraph.

One problem though, Wallasey Motor Club may not have the money to place an advertisement in the papaer, as it can be expensive.

Folowing the last event, around 20 spectator fences were stolen, and 2 walkie talkies havent been returned, which has proved a huge loss to them.
Posted By: Wench Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 11:46am
Originally Posted by jonno40
Thank you for your kind comments .What makes it even worse we were not allowed to take any pictures on the stage at the end as the "press" had priority mad

That is just ridiculous. I bet they will charge the families of the 3 girls for copies of the pictures too!! Barstewards!
Posted By: Wench Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 11:49am
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
Ive always noticed the local press is quite crap abou that sort of thing.

Even when they did mention New Brighton Rally, there was only ever a small paragraph on it with a small picture. They advertised fastest Street Car at Oulton Park this year though, ith a small paragraph.

One problem though, Wallasey Motor Club may not have the money to place an advertisement in the papaer, as it can be expensive.

Folowing the last event, around 20 spectator fences were stolen, and 2 walkie talkies havent been returned, which has proved a huge loss to them.

I'm going to put banners on all my websites for next years rally thumbsup

The fences were robbed overnight on the Friday apparently, or so I was told. Scrap metal prices make it a lucrative crime unfortunately. As for the walkie talkies - that's bad because it means it was either WMC members or the volunteers mad ungrateful beggars!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 11:51am
well the 2 walkie talkies that went missing...happened to be the only ones not signed for
Posted By: Wench Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 11:52am
Well that narrows it down then hopefully.
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 12:00pm
Yeah, it was a poor turnout at the start, but the weather didn't help either no

Quite a few people I spoke to didn't know it was on that weekend

Shows how much the local press cover miss new brighton - I didn't even know it was still going confused
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 3:02pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe

Shows how much the local press cover miss new brighton - I didn't even know it was still going confused

They revived it this year ,they had six heats at Tallulahs and the final was at the Leasowe Castle with local D-list celebs in attendance over sixty girls entered so it was well supported.
Found this in the daily post DAILY POST
Posted By: DavidB Re: Rather annoyed with local press - 11th Sep 2008 8:11pm
I have missed this every year, not once seen it, and I have been planning up to it every year! I was expecting to get some notice.

I love the fact there are big chunks of rubber on that road afterwards!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral