Forums
Posted By: NEWBOY Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 11:34am
I was in Birkenhead earlier and a bus had came out of the station and hit an elderly lady, she was trapped under the wheel and they had to jack it up. I dont know any more about this, was very tragic
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 11:42am
Really!!!

Thats odd, the bus station seems really organised and well sign posted etc etc.... She must not have been looking properly. Sad to hear it tho.
Posted By: Handbag Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 12:09pm
I've just seen the story on the Wirral News website.

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-...birkenhead-bus-collision-80491-21358715/
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 12:15pm
Yes I heard she had to be amputated on spot. I didnt want to watch too much as its grim, I dont need that in my mind.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 12:55pm
wow
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 2:04pm
Ouch!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 3:06pm
fookin hell, are all old people suicidle or something, there most be about 50,000 pedestrian crossins in that location, and they still manage to get run down nono
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 3:11pm
I was down there before and wondered why all the traffic was backed up - this explains it.
Posted By: Mondeo_Scott Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 3:11pm
mmmmmmm painfull i must say smack
Posted By: xX_Jennie_Xx Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 3:13pm
ouchies frown
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 17th Jul 2008 5:21pm
how sad
Posted By: cezza Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 18th Jul 2008 9:21am
apparently she slipped as it had been raining that day
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 18th Jul 2008 9:51am
Well IMO the bus drivers dont try to slow down for peds, Iv often seen them rag it out the depo and thought it looked like a 'game' for them.
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 18th Jul 2008 4:00pm
That is really bad luck, slipping under a bus cos it had rained.
Posted By: Northender Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 18th Jul 2008 9:34pm
They should do away with ramps at pedestrian crossings. They are dangerous when wet and slippy. I know you need them for disability scooters but they should make the slope more gradual and put hand rails there for people to grab onto if they do slip.

The road surface has always been troublesome in that area. At first it was all block paving but it started to subside causing large puddles during wet weather so it had to be redone.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 18th Jul 2008 9:42pm
I personally think it was a one off. No real need to go about drastically change the pavement system.

Its tragic to hear, but we dont know under what circumstances she came trapped under the bus. For all we know, she may have not been paying attention, suddenly startled then slipped. Its still not a nice thing to happen whatever the circumstances.

Imagine the trauma she must be going through tho, to lose both legs frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 19th Jul 2008 12:04am
Originally Posted by Mi_Craig
I personally think it was a one off. No real need to go about drastically change the pavement system.

Loooool very very good point Craig, I strongly agree!

smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 19th Jul 2008 7:45am
Went past just after it had happened, saw Recovery North West`s big recovery truck (the wrecker) with the bus off the ground. By the police and security around i knew something bad had happened. That poor woman and the driver!
i drove for Arriva many years ago and had a simelar happen to me. Pissed bloke ran at the SIDE of my bus as i was driving off and dropped down! All the passengers started screaming (think i did too!!!) went out to have a look and he had slammed into the side and rolled along the bus and fell to the ground at the rear. He then got up and walked off!!!! Could see the clean line he had made in the dirt on the bus! Bloody lucky and stupid. Police got him tho, fooker!! somad
Posted By: jonah Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 19th Jul 2008 8:17am
thats so sad...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 22nd Jul 2008 1:25pm
from the ECHO.

I saw bus that trapped my wife::::

A MERSEYSIDE man today told how he walked past a bus not knowing his wife was trapped beneath the wheels.

Retired magistrate Eileen Brady, 72, lost her leg after being hit by a bus at Birkenhead bus station on Thursday.

Speaking exclusively to the ECHO her husband Jim said she was saved by the skill and speed of the paramedics called to the scene.

They had only an hour to save her life, and got her into surgery in 45 minutes.

Retired painter and decorator Jim, 73, said: "We had finished shopping and went our separate ways before I went off to pick up our grandson.

"I walked past the accident and saw the doctors rushing around and thought ‘poor soul – that looks serious’.

"I had no idea it was my wife.

"The police arrived at my door and got me to hospital where she was already having surgery. They told me their target is one hour, and from being hit by the bus it was just 45 minutes and she was being operated on.

"The experts were absolutely incredible.
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 22nd Jul 2008 7:24pm
45mins from when she was hit till when she was in the hospital? Thats not true, she was there longer as I walked past a few times whilst shopping.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 22nd Jul 2008 8:00pm
thats what it said in the liverpool echo bud think
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 22nd Jul 2008 11:33pm
Originally Posted by NEWBOY
45mins from when she was hit till when she was in the hospital? Thats not true, she was there longer as I walked past a few times whilst shopping.

why didnt you help instead of shopping?!?! smack doh
Posted By: NEWBOY Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 23rd Jul 2008 9:09am
Police were shoowing everyone away otherwise I would have
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 23rd Jul 2008 9:17am
you should of gone up to her and started singing to cheer her up
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 23rd Jul 2008 10:42am
I just think it's so sad for the poor woman. For an elderly (can you still say that without the PC brigade going nuts ?) person, a major trauma like a bus running over your leg can easily result in death.

Again, just so sad. Hope she recovers as much as possible and has a reasonable quality of life again.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 23rd Jul 2008 10:49am
she'll be fine, she always have a cool story to tell the grand kids too !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 23rd Jul 2008 11:17am
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I just think it's so sad for the poor woman. For an elderly (can you still say that without the PC brigade going nuts ?) person, a major trauma like a bus running over your leg can easily result in death.

Again, just so sad. Hope she recovers as much as possible and has a reasonable quality of life again.

withthat
Posted By: Exadverso Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 7th Aug 2008 1:04am
Where do the "Sanchezes of the world come from, what planet are they on, to make a comment such as "she'll be fine, she always have a cool story to tell the grand kids too !" indicates that this person is a complete ass****. If he had been run over by a bus and had to have his legs removed I think the dimwit might have more to say about it than the fool actually managed to write... Who does he think he is? Does he think he is impressing anybody with his limp, sad, Americanistic horseshit attitude? I mean really, grow up you semi-literate little boy... I've read all the comments on this forum page and am depressed by how little has been said, "so sad" seems to be about the average comment. Has anybody wondered why the accident occurred? Was the lady so unfortunate to step right into the buses path as it was pulling into the bus stop? were the buses brakes checked to make sure that they were working properly" Could this be another example of yet another badly serviced bus or poorly trained driver or what...? I know for sure that there are many poorly maintained buses on the roads of Wirral and Liverpool, ever since Thatcher and her friends privatised the bus services back in the 1980s.... Half the buses in Liverpool were taken out of service a few years ago because they were found to be unsafe after an inspection by the regulatory authorities, and not a lot has changed since then. Has the bus involved been sent to be checked etc, I hope so, and I hope that a full in depth report will be presented to the public about what happened because it's high time that people started to wake up and see that the buses in the Merseyside area are badly maintained and the price of bus fares are continually rising but we don't see an increase in the levels of service provided, and how come those Mersytravel people who carry out surveys about 'where you got on and where you are getting off and what have you been doing,' etc never ask passengers what they think about the service they are receiving and what they would like to see done, instead of the usual crap... In my opinion (and I do know what I'm talking about) Arriva buses are better managed and better maintained than the appalling service (if you can call it that) which we have to endure from the 'First' cowboys... It's about time that Wirral people started to realise just how crap their so-called public services are and about time they started to demand something better... Wake up Wirral... you are becoming as brain-dead as silly little 'Sanchez'
OMG man get a grip on life can i say sanchez is not as bad as u think he likes to try and see the possitive side of everythin and if you dont like that you well then take you and your thoughts else where and away from us on our boards as we dont want to hear them and wot else gets me is you come on here and ur first post is slaughterin one of our respected members sorry mate but i dont agree wid wot you said you fookin fooooooool mad
Posted By: Shambo Re: Birkenhead Bus Station Accident 17/7/08 - 7th Aug 2008 3:33am
So much anger Exadverso. I'm sure Sanchez didn't mean to offend you so personally.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral