Forums
Posted By: granny Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 10:12am
possible £80,000 at auction !! Who remembers them ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4556492/Trident-bubble-car-goes-auction-80-000.html
Posted By: casper Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 3:45pm
Yes indeed granny, the names Heinkel and Messerschmitt spring to mind, I think there was another one, British made, Bond I think it was, I am sure someone will remember the name.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 4:09pm
Another was isetta, don't think bond ever did one, they were more your traditional 3 wheelers. Oh and bmw did one too I think.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 5:29pm
I think the British one was the Peel made in the Isle of Man, extremely small, I drove one in the 60s for a day, parking was great, get out and lift one end at a time untill you were parked, from memory it was a 50cc motor.
I had a Bond with a 250cc Villiers engine, no reverse gear and a Motorcycle driving license, the later Bond was similar to the Reliant with a Hillman Imp 875cc motor, Bond also had the flying cheese shaped model whose name escapes me. One of the german bubble cars had a front opening door, a friend of mine who shall remain nameless to spare his embarrasment, drove his as far as he could into his garage, forgetting he had no means of reversing it and opening the door, he was there most of the afternoon untill someone went looking for him.
Posted By: casper Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 5:44pm
Ha ha easy done I suppose, it was the Heinkel with the front opening door, and I think another British manufactured car also had one, I remember the Messerschmitt well, they had one on show in one of the cinema foyers, the top lifted over to one side, it reminded me of an aircraft cockpit.
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 5:45pm
I wonder if there are any of the old blue invalid cars with handlebar steering still on the road.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 1st Jun 2017 6:00pm
Originally Posted by Beethoven
I wonder if there are any of the old blue invalid cars with handlebar steering still on the road.

Yes they were commonly known as the remploy rocket. They were powered by a Villiers engine too.
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 2nd Jun 2017 8:59am
Quite right Dilly,I've just googled it and it was indeed powered by a 147cc Villiers engine, but this was later replaced by a 500cc or 600cc Steyr-Puch engine capable of 82mph!!! Imagine that, 82mph in one of them.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 2nd Jun 2017 10:26am
Originally Posted by Beethoven
Quite right Dilly,I've just googled it and it was indeed powered by a 147cc Villiers engine, but this was later replaced by a 500cc or 600cc Steyr-Puch engine capable of 82mph!!! Imagine that, 82mph in one of them.

No way would you drive one of them at more than 30 mph smile
Posted By: gerrymoore Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 4th Jun 2017 8:07am
I had a Heinkel Trojan when I was 16..I could legally drive it on my full motorbike licence. First time I drove it I panicked and went straight into a brick wall..not sure how I survived. Anyway I sold it to two scrapmen for £10 and a couple of weeks later they had it back on the road!!

I've seen good ones go for up to £15000 in the last couple of years.....if only I'd kept it!!
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 4th Jun 2017 6:03pm
Originally Posted by locomotive
I think the British one was the Peel made in the Isle of Man, extremely small, I drove one in the 60s for a day, parking was great, get out and lift one end at a time untill you were parked, from memory it was a 50cc motor.
I had a Bond with a 250cc Villiers engine, no reverse gear and a Motorcycle driving license, the later Bond was similar to the Reliant with a Hillman Imp 875cc motor, Bond also had the flying cheese shaped model whose name escapes me. One of the german bubble cars had a front opening door, a friend of mine who shall remain nameless to spare his embarrasment, drove his as far as he could into his garage, forgetting he had no means of reversing it and opening the door, he was there most of the afternoon untill someone went looking for him.

It was called a Bond Bug, my Dad had a yellow one in the 1970s and he bought a orange one 15 years ago for a trip down memory lane lol.
Posted By: joney Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 8th Jun 2017 8:16am
surprised the Gordon three wheeler has not been mentioned. Made in Valley road by Vernon Industries owned by Vernon Sangster of Vernons Pools.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Anyone got a Bubble Car ? - 8th Jun 2017 8:17pm
Completely forgot about that one, I only ever saw one and that was in a scrapyard at the bottom of Bedford Road, before the bypass was built.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral