Forums
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 3:03pm
Hi all, been looking at this car on Ebay and wondered if its a good price? Anything I should look out for when I view it? What questions should I be asking?

Many Thanks

TheMrs

www.ebay.co.uk 281958418407

Can't do links sorry frown

Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 3:49pm
Is this the one mate,few discrepancies regards the actual mileage.
Clicky

Check it out ... https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 4:05pm
Yer thats the one....he explained the mileage being down to the dash board being changed?

I have no idea about cars so not sure if thats a god enough explanation or not?

Posted By: Salmon Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 4:17pm
I had one of those and it was very good, lots of nice features, it remembers what devices you were using when you turned ignition off so no forgetting lights. Automatically closes all windows when you lock it. Hard to know what to say about the mileage which is extremely low, 4,500 per year. I notice that he does his own servicing, not sure if that is good or bad. As with any second hand car you just never know what you are really buying. He seems honest in the description but I am not sure how he will post it to you. Would you consider an RAC/AA or similar used car check? https://www.mycarcheck.com/?gclid=CNLKs6mLw8sCFUefGwodgM0O2A
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 4:23pm
Yer I saw that with the postage smile Also says I can return it within 14 days for a refund smile

Ty for the link...going to view it tonight so may consider the check after that
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 5:50pm
Check all the electric windows work ok, common fault and very expensive things to replace although dealers sometimes will go half price or better - not always willingly!

Electric handbrake has problems with cable wear, Renault only sell with handbrake motor and are stupid money.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 6:33pm
Nice cars but would go for the 1.5 diesel .most important thing is check they have 2 keycards expensive to get new ones around £150 .also check the website honest john for a good honest review of these cars and others
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 8:28pm
Worth getting one of those on-line HPI checks. Usually around £25 for 5 checks...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/car-data-history-checks/
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Advice on car buying - 15th Mar 2016 8:36pm
Thanks everyone

Went to have a look at it this evening and decided against it. The engine looked really clean...too clean really. like it had been steam cleaned. My son in law had a quick look at something in the engine ( can you tell I'm female ? ) and said it was all gunky so to steer well clear.

Ah well will keep looking smile

Thanks again everyone for all your help

TheMrs
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Advice on car buying - 16th Mar 2016 9:56am
Originally Posted by Headcoat_TheMrs
Went to have a look at it this evening and decided against it. The engine looked really clean...too clean really.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it might just point to a careful owner.

Come round and see my 2003 Peugeot's engine bay, its immaculate, only because I like to care for things and do lots of preventative maintenance. My dad is retired and also cares for his car in the same way, gives him something to do!

I'd rather look after a car on my terms than find neglect has me ended up broken down in the middle of winter in an icestorm having to poke around a dirty engine bay!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral