Forums
Posted By: gerrymoore Waste engine oil wanted.... - 27th Sep 2015 2:32pm
Looking for some used engine oil either free or very cheap! I have a 5 gallon drum and can collect from Wirral. Anyone got any.... or know where I might get some? Thanks Gerry
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 27th Sep 2015 3:01pm
got loads, was about to chuck it to my mate fr his heater.
Posted By: gerrymoore Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 27th Sep 2015 3:32pm
Hi Mr Hanky..can I have/buy 5 gallons off you? Am I able to post my email or phone on here?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 27th Sep 2015 5:00pm
pm me your number.
Posted By: turnip Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 27th Sep 2015 5:33pm
If you need any more let me know. We have about 200ltrs here. Possibly more.
Posted By: gerrymoore Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 28th Sep 2015 7:06am
Thanks Turnip...if I don't get fixed up I'll come back to you..I will need waste oil fairly often over the winter...depends how cold it gets in my shed!!
Posted By: Uffda Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 28th Sep 2015 4:19pm
Turnip, I could do with some used engine oil and have a suitable continer to take it away. Would you consider a swap for some home made raspberry jam?
Posted By: turnip Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 28th Sep 2015 7:36pm
Hey! that sounds like a good trade to me!. How much do you need? We have a fair bit.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 29th Sep 2015 7:15am
Turnip, you're over tour PM limit, can you clear a space for me? hi
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 29th Sep 2015 7:25am
I have about 50 litres free of charge.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 30th Sep 2015 7:36am
Thanks Ste, Turnip is setting me up but will let you know if I need any more.
Thanks again.
Posted By: gerrymoore Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 1st Oct 2015 10:43am
Got all I need for now..many thanks to Mr Hanky and Ste...no more cold workshop this winter!!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 8th Oct 2015 10:12am
Sorry to chip in, but I am curious about using it for heating. Do you need a special heater for this, and is it safe to do it anyway? I would have thought the fumes from it are pretty toxic if not carcinogenic.

My ignorance of the subject is profound, however. I could be quite wrong, and don't want to spread false alarm.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 8th Oct 2015 10:51am
There used to be waste oil heaters in garages/workshops. Salamander Heaters or similar name (?) There are waste oil heaters on ebay. Not cheap and NOT for the living room either! I think if the combustion temperature is hot enough, anything nasty in old engine oil etc. ain't going to be a problem.

For example... Mustard gas (actually a liquid vesicant) ain't a barrel of laughs, and how did they dispose of hundreds of tons of the stuff when they closed Rhydymwyn Valley works - burn it at ICI's works nr. Runcorn! All gone !!
Posted By: turnip Re: Waste engine oil wanted.... - 8th Oct 2015 11:44am
It's commonly used in garages. You now need to have a permit to burn waste oil but that's it's best use. You need flue kits to take the fumes out but the majority of the toxins are burnt up.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral