Forums
Posted By: joeblogs dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 1:30pm
thinking of getting this done the proper way,they cut the dpf open take the insides out and weld it back again,and then update the ecu,anyone done it
Posted By: turnip Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 3:43pm
I'm fairly certain that there's no 'proper' way to get this done as it's illegal. I would imagine it would show up on an emissions test for the mot if nothing else.
Posted By: joeblogs Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 4:10pm
well after they put it back together they put some software in the ecu to tell it the dpf is not there,so it wont try to do a regeneration,its only soot so will be fine for mot
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 4:58pm
Clicky
Posted By: mrhanky Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 7:33pm
did my saab 9-3, easy peasy. if the front pressure sensor is a hose type you can just try crimping that closed, most ecu's only really needs to see a difference in pressure between the sensors.
Posted By: venice Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 7:54pm
Doesnt it invalidate insurance though if you did have a smack and it was examined?
Posted By: mrhanky Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 8:00pm
i very much doubt it would end up getting checked in the event of an accident?
Posted By: chriskay Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 9:32pm
Originally Posted by mrhanky
i very much doubt it would end up getting checked in the event of an accident?

I wouldn't bet on it, the insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay out.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 18th May 2014 9:45pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

I wouldn't bet on it, the insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay out.

'i didn't know it had been done, i don't even know how to check my oil so how would i know if my car has a dpf or if it's just an empty box'

quite hard for the insurance to prove the current owner had it taken out themselves.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 19th May 2014 9:29am
Ive removed the DPF on my last BMW 530d and my current 335d.

The MOT is a visual check - if you have a gutted DPF it appears to be in place - on my current car, its been replaced with a delete pipe and you cant see it due to the undertrays on the car (MOT testers cant remove parts of your car to inspect).

The diesel emissions test is a basic smoke test, and is the same for all diesel cars, so as long as there are no clouds of black smoke you should be fine (mine passed its MOT last month no problems).

Once its been removed it does need to be mapped out, to stop regenerations. I had mine custom mapped, as I also had the EGR removed and deleted, and had the car mapped for performance too.

Car no makes 368bhp and 542ft/lb torque - it also still does 50mpg on a run wink
Posted By: Gibbo Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 20th May 2014 12:56pm
If a car is maintained properly the DPF shouldn't give you problems.

Yes, they need replacing over time, but so does the clutch, the cat, and various other parts, which work out at fractions of a penny per mile.

I've known people who've had theirs gutted, some with remaps, some without. Some have gone OK, others have had no end of problems with limp mode due to the differential pressure sensor noticing a massive difference in air pressure because of the empty DPF chamber, and various other problems they've not even able to solve and the remapper / DPF gutter has just shrugged their shoulders at.

Just get a new one from CATS2U, it'll probably cost the same in the end.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 20th May 2014 1:14pm
Originally Posted by Gibbo
If a car is maintained properly the DPF shouldn't give you problems.

I disagree.... Short journeys clog them up, and even the best maintained car will have issues if you do a lot of cold starts and short runs.

Cars run rich when cold which produces more soot which clogs the filters. On BMWs they regenerate themselves, but certain criteria need to be met - water needs to be up to full operating temp, exhaust needs to be up to temp, and you need to be doing xxxrpm at xxxmph for the ECU to initiate a regeneration. This involves (on BMWs) adjusting the diesel timing the generate more heat in the exhaust and thus burning off the soot - if you never get the car hot on a good run, then they dont regenerate and they clog.

If you find a reputable remapper, you should have no problems. With a DPF delete / gutted, the software just needs to be modified to remove / alter the pressure sensors so they always show the DPF as clear and doing its job.

I had the 530d for 3 years with a DPF delete and Ive had the 335d for just over a year with the DPF deleted and never had a problem. Not only do you get the extra performance, but you also get more mpg smile
Posted By: Gibbo Re: dpf removal,anyone done it? - 20th May 2014 2:59pm
Originally Posted by StuyMac
I disagree.... Short journeys clog them up, and even the best maintained car will have issues if you do a lot of cold starts and short runs.

True, but they'll regenerate and clean. Granted this may happen more often and shorten the lifespan, but that's the downside of owning a modern diesel in the wrong environment.

Even before the DPF came along a diesel used on short journeys will get the EGR valve clogged up way before its time.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral