Forums
Posted By: TheDr Saab - Blown Turbo - 12th May 2014 10:15pm
Over the weekend I saw an old Saab 93 convertible advertised for sale, it seemed in fairly good condition for the year (2000) and had almost a years MoT.

The owner said that it was blowing a bit of grey smoke, and he'd been told that the seals in the turbo had gone.

It was a bargain price, and worth a look, so I bought it, collecting it tonight.

His definition of "bit" of grey smoke may have been a slight understatement, parts of Cheshire now have fog warnings in place, but, to be fair, it does drive quite nicely for an old banger.

I'm looking for recommendations, or offers, to have the turbo repaired/replaced, or if someone wants a summer project for themselves make me an offer (it's taxed as well, but you REALLY can't drive it around until it's fixed).

Thanks
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 12th May 2014 10:27pm
As usual, I`m confused. You say you are collecting it tonight, then say parts of Cheshire are under fog warnings. You say it drives fine. So, you are collecting it tonight at near midnight and want to maybe sell it before you have it in your hands. Or, you saw the understated smoke in Cheshire and it was not you driving the car and yet you still bought it. Not many people do these things, let alone buy a bargain and offer to sell it before collecting it. Why go to buy it if you saw the clouds of smoke ?.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 12th May 2014 10:35pm
Dr does it have the 2.0 litre B204 engine?

(black top with red plug cover).

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TheDr Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 12th May 2014 11:21pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Hi Ste

No it's 2.0 litre B205

Posted By: TheDr Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 12th May 2014 11:27pm
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
As usual, I`m confused.....

No problem, happy to help relieve at least some of your confusion.

I said that I'd "seen" the car advertised over the weekend, "collecting" it tonight. I believe I used it in the correct tense, in that of past possessive, however to avoid any confusion: The car was collected (past tense) this evening and spouted out so much grey smoke on the return journey across Cheshire....etc etc
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 13th May 2014 7:02am
Originally Posted by TheDr
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Hi Ste

No it's 2.0 litre B205

No problem thanks.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 13th May 2014 7:31am
Great cars, I know you have had a Saab in the past. One other thing to look out for is a split bulk head, if it has one it's scrap. Mine developed one. Bolts around bulk head develop hairline cracks, usually if aftermarket wheels have been fitted

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: chriskay Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 13th May 2014 10:17am
Originally Posted by TheDr
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
As usual, I`m confused.....

No problem, happy to help relieve at least some of your confusion.

I said that I'd "seen" the car advertised over the weekend, "collecting" it tonight. I believe I used it in the correct tense, in that of past possessive, however to avoid any confusion: The car was collected (past tense) this evening and spouted out so much grey smoke on the return journey across Cheshire....etc etc

I understood your original post, but perhaps the phrasing was a little too elegant for use on a forum. wink
Posted By: delta6 Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 13th May 2014 1:01pm
whose is the vec ste?
got a vec gsi myself.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Saab - Blown Turbo - 13th May 2014 7:31pm
Originally Posted by delta6
whose is the vec ste?
got a vec gsi myself.

thats just a borrowed image from google to show the doc which engine i was reffering to.

i have a 92 astra gsi redtop.

[Linked Image]
© Wirral-Wikiwirral