Forums
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 7:27pm
Hi all

Cam belt went on my old faithful P reg pug today frown

Worth fixing or not?

TheMrs
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 8:00pm
What sort of Pug is it and what engine does it have?
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 8:01pm
In my experience I would say no almost certainly you will need new pistons if you where driving when it went and if so you would have cooked your engine. I know this because it happened to our 51 plate Megane and I got £250 for it from a spare parts dealer.
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 8:10pm
I've had car's were the cambelt has snapped but not damaged the engine, really depends on what the engine was doing at the time it snaped, i.e. under load or just idle
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 8:14pm
Been offered £216 by a scrappy just wondered if it was expensive to fix.

It was halfway round a roundabout in Chester !

Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 8:15pm
its a 406 and think its a 2ltr diesel
Posted By: mark1970 Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 6th Jun 2013 9:13pm
How old is it? I might know someone who'd give you a few quid more than the scrappy offers. How much tax and test does it have?
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 7:12am
Its going to need new valves / the head reconditioning - pistons should be fine, the valves bend, not the pistons wink

Cheaper option may be to fit a good used head, or fit a good used complete engine, either of which isnt going to be cheap on labour - £500ish at a guess....
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 7:33am
Commiserations Mrs Headcoat - nothing more embarrassing than finding yourself stranded in a very public place!

Whatever you do about the car may you choose the safest option.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 7:37am
SilentReader is right. I came home one night, stopped and engine died before I turned off the ignition. The timing belt choose that moment when idling to break. No bent valve stems or donged piston crowns, just the belt to replace. Might be an idea to investigate further before sending it to the scrapman.
Posted By: turnip Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 8:10am
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-04-PEUGEOT-406-2-0-HDI-ENGINE-WITH-LOW-MILES-ONLY-71K-/271214644452?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A406&hash=item3f25a70ce4
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 12:31pm
Would you mind me asking how many miles your car has and when the cambelt was last changed?

It might be of some help to some of my fellow 406 owners on peugeotforums.com

I might be wrong (I'm more of a 306 and 307 man) but I'm sure the engine in the 406 is a little more forgiving and tolerant for cambelt failures.
Posted By: raymondo Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 5:16pm
prob bent valves but deff not funny to do
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 7th Jun 2013 6:01pm
ok will answer as many questions as I can !

MOT is till Nov
Not sure on tax ( will check on Sunday )
P reg so 96/97
done about 125000 miles and not had cam belt done in the 4 years or so we have owned it

To be honest we only paid about £500 for it and its passed every mot so don't really want to spend a lot fixing it. It's only really used as a work horse.

TheMrs
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 10th Jun 2013 2:26pm
Thank you. It should have really had a cambelt in 2007.

The interval is ten years or 80,000 - 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

But if you've no evidence its been done, it should be done.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 10th Jun 2013 7:57pm
ok so we have decided that we are not going to bother getting it fixed as the garage have said that the price will start at around £350 - £400 assuming the cam belt has caused no damage.

We have been offered £216 scrap. Is this a good price ? Or does anyone want to offer better?

TheMrs
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Broken Cambelt...is it the end? - 11th Jun 2013 10:37am
I thought the Rocker Arms snap on these engine in the event of a cambelt snapping (atleast thats what my mates van done 2.0hdi)

© Wirral-Wikiwirral