Forums
Posted By: xxwildspiritxx Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 2:50pm
Hi all,

My son has an O3 plate vectra, went to start it the other day and nothing, all the lights are coming on, on the dash. Theres nothing wrong witht he batthery but he has been told it could be the wire going to the starter motor. Is there anything anyone can thing off to help him because he has just had to replace the gearbox and the clutch went only two weeks ago, so he has paid out loads lately for it. And the people he has spoken to want £40 just to come and look at it.
Please Help

Carol xx
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 3:01pm
give steve a ring,sk, 07713638850.
very sensible on price,
Posted By: xxwildspiritxx Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 3:16pm
Thanks so much, i will tell him, somebody else suggested that it could be a loose earth with him having had the gearbox changed? But that work was done in birmingham, he was dropping a friend off there and the clutch went at a roundabout, anyway the police took him, his girlfriend a their baby to a b&b, he ended up staying in birmingham for three days as the gargage done the clutch and then said they found a hole in the gearbox so they changed that and thats were the loose earth might be.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 3:55pm
Could be as simple as the starter cable not attached properly - it's mounted on the gearbox. wink There's a cable directly from the battery (thick black one), and another that goes to the alternator, and then a third one that goes to the ignition switch (where you put the key in). This is a spade connection - I've had numerous problems where the spade hasn't been connected properly or is loose. Starters haven't changed for decades including their wiring. smile

I think it's earthed through the casing and not through a cable, it shouldn't matter though.
Posted By: xxwildspiritxx Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 4:00pm
David, thankyou so much for taking your time to reply, thats very nice of you, i am going to ring him now and read back what you`ve wrote, thanks again Carol xx
Posted By: Clive Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 4:57pm
I dont charge to come and take alook, and if i fix it just my petrol costs
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 5:08pm
Hi xxwildspiritxx have you gone on the vectra forum sometimes answers for most problems are on there good luck
Posted By: xxwildspiritxx Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 5:53pm
Thanks everyone, just spoke to Willo and he is hopefully going to take a look

Cheers Carol xx
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 6:20pm
Starter motor smile
Posted By: xxwildspiritxx Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 11:23pm
Thanks Willo for your help today, that was really nice of you xx
Posted By: Clive Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 18th Jan 2012 11:35pm
no problem, tell your son that the rear reg plate lights is not a fault, they go off after 5 mins, just read up on it from a forum.
Posted By: billy_anorak59 Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 20th Jan 2012 12:49pm
Had a Calibra that did that - used to send me mental. Turned out it was the starter relay (located in the drivers side footwell, dunno whether it's the same on a Vectra). Might be worth checking first as it's a cheap replacement? Just a thought.
Posted By: Clive Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 20th Jan 2012 12:58pm
Originally Posted by billy_anorak59
Had a Calibra that did that - used to send me mental. Turned out it was the starter relay (located in the drivers side footwell, dunno whether it's the same on a Vectra). Might be worth checking first as it's a cheap replacement? Just a thought.
its been done now
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Vectra got an electrical problem - 20th Jan 2012 3:37pm
Originally Posted by Willo
no problem, tell your son that the rear reg plate lights is not a fault, they go off after 5 mins, just read up on it from a forum.

yeah, mine does that too

seems to be a feature of the vec c
© Wirral-Wikiwirral