Forums
Posted By: mp3_85 Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 7:53pm
I used my fog lights for the first time today (due to the fog happy) got out the car, switched off the engine but unlike my fiesta and Galant they dont go off automatically. I was in my interview for about thirty mins and went back out and battery flat. I got it working no probs, just jump started it and away I was but come on is half an hour of fog lights really enough to drain a battery?

It IS and old car with ALOT of mileage but the guy who jumped it for me said I should get the alternator and starter motor checked too which I may aswell. I need to know should I buy anew battery (for cost to usefullness ratio its a no brainer yes surely) and has anyone else had this for such a short time of use. I hopefully will get a new job soon and I dont wana be coming in late every other day after my car wont start and im getting taxis to work.

Help no

BTW im obviously going to the garage tomorrow just I trust you guys a little bit more
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:03pm
It should be ok, just get it checked over. make sure the alternator is giving an output.

Starter motor shouldn't be an issue, as it seems to start first time alright after a boost.

When was the battery last replaced? (Might be a date sticker on it somewhere)

Most fog lights use the same amount of power as mainbeam headlights being switch on - both can drain the battery rapidly (for example, mine has a near new 55AH battery in and it only takes about 2 minutes with the headlights on for the battery to drain)

It will obviously drain a lot faster if the battery is not fully charged. Mostly drains quicker after many short journeys as battery isn't given enough time to become charged up by the alternator.

So, just give the car a good run or charge the battery.
At the very most, a new battery may be needed (£50) and perhaps an alternator, but if you've never had a problem with the battery before, most likely neither lol

Hope this helps smile
Posted By: mp3_85 Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:21pm
Yeah I'd rather pay the money to get a new one than keep patching up the old one. With the galant I was a mug and bought a gallon bottle of Ionised water or whatever because the guy in Halfords told me so - the battery needs about 20 ml every year. And I got a gallon, oh well enough for the next 3000 years if the car is still going.

The only thing annoying me now is it will be in the back of my mind everytime I stop for petrol now or park up, it was the same with the Galant after it cutout while I was circling a roundabout, I'm being paranoid but ignorance is bliss.

Ty Joe
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:24pm
Originally Posted by martypalin
The only thing annoying me now is it will be in the back of my mind everytime I stop for petrol now or park up, it was the same with the Galant after it cutout while I was circling a roundabout, I'm being paranoid but ignorance is bliss.

Ty Joe

Lol I feel the same way, thats why I always carry jump leads in my boot - Just incase wink

NP matey
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:38pm
apparently it takes about 8 mile of drivin to put back into the battery the drain form starting it up,
Posted By: jonah Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:39pm
i posted that but hadnt logged in lol !
Posted By: mp3_85 Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:40pm
^^^^^^^^

cheers, is that for my BMW or just in general? Its not going anywhere tomorrow lol but I'll bear that in mind
Posted By: jonah Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:45pm
in general, dad used to be a mobile mechanic and used to moan at me when i started drivin cos i only did short trips so wasnt givin the battery chance to fill its boots...
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:47pm
Originally Posted by Anonymous
apparently it takes about 8 mile of drivin to put back into the battery the drain form starting it up,

think never knew that thumbsup
Posted By: jonah Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 8:48pm
aye tis true !
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 9:08pm
i think you should start by looking in to the fact the fog lights don t turn off ! they will be enough to drain a battery in 30 mins !
Posted By: jonah Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 9:13pm
good point matey, but it cant help if the car only doing short trips either
Posted By: mp3_85 Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 9:28pm
its not they wont turn off I didnt switch them off, they just went off on my other cars. no biggie I certainley wont do it again but thanks for the tip Sanchez, you didn make me laugh in that post though, make a funny comment for me to lol to!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 10:01pm
Originally Posted by Anonymous

This can't be true for all batteries, some batteries have upto 30% extra capacity to help with start up needs and calcium batteries for instance hold a lot stronger charge then regular batteries.

In general a battery won't fail unless you either dont use the car for weeks/months or you leave something that uses the battery power turned on for long periods of time, when the engine isnt running, and therefore the altenator isnt recharging it.

smile
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 28th Mar 2007 11:26pm
Sanchez, you didn make me laugh in that post though, make a funny comment for me to lol to!

hows about i come and smash them fookin lights up, then you wont leave them on again tit wank !

that funny enough for you !
Posted By: Pomp Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 29th Mar 2007 3:03am
its not they wont turn off I didnt switch them off, they just went off on my other cars. no biggie I certainley wont do it again but thanks for the tip Sanchez, you didn make me laugh in that post though, make a funny comment for me to lol to!

My pug is like that, wen the lights are left on wiv keys out an the door is open it reports to ye wiv the mad noise sayin somethings not closed or turned off. Not sure why ur car didnt report to u sayin ye lights on.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 29th Mar 2007 3:08am
Not all cars have warning alerts Pomp, especially older cars wink
Posted By: Pomp Re: Flat Battery - WHY? - 29th Mar 2007 3:10am
Gutted!!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral