Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Leading a walk? Beware! - 9th Jan 2014 9:42pm
Now and then people are walking with a group and are asked to take a turn by leading a future walk. I was told this week by a friend who walks with an organised group each week, that they pay annually £5 a year insurance to cover accidents etc.
I had not thought that if you lead a casual walk and someone has an accident,you might get sued. We read about problems on school trips, but maybe we innocently put ourselves in the firing line.Could also apply to urban exploration?
My home insurance includes persons cover, but I will have to check if it covers away from my property.
Does anyone have any imput on this topic?
Posted By: Mark Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 10th Jan 2014 7:48am
Urban ex is by invitation typically. However its fair comment that any thing could happen, its sounds like another Yanky claim mongoriing of at the extreem could happen.

WikiWialks.
Yes that could happen too but the routes and places there would be a counter claim for the council as there routes are all public.

Normally a disclaimer is enough to get you out of any of those situations.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 10th Jan 2014 10:03am
I think if you took them off piste you could be liable
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 10th Jan 2014 10:22am
It all depends how official the "organised group" you speak of is.

There's no obligation to have any insurance.

I think basic insurance is about £200 for a group, so if there's about 40 members, a fiver sounds about right.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 11th Jan 2014 12:19am
Good point, never really thought about it and as gibbo mentions urban exploring is more an invitation and most know the dangers they face.

to be honest i dont think urban exploring would be insurable anyway due to the natureof the hobby and from a "legal" point of view what it involves.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 11th Jan 2014 2:41am
Stupid American 'thang'.

If I go walking, UEing or GhostHunting- then I do so at my own risk!!

Duh.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 11th Jan 2014 11:16pm
As Ste says invitation is the key, if you are an organisation that is different, but a group of 'friends' embarking on an expedition have absolutely NO legal comeback on each other, no more than schoolboys collecting conkers. So crack on and ignore the crap barrack room lawyers. I am a barrister.
Posted By: w10694 Re: Leading a walk? Beware! - 30th Jan 2014 11:22pm
I lead 3 walks a year for WBC (despite that they are in Cheshire, and I live in Cheshire !).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral