Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Where do I stand on this? - 24th Aug 2012 12:52pm
I bought a brand new alternator about 2½ month ago.

I have had nothing but problems since I had it fitted.
But I just tried to live with it, but slowly its been getting worse.

I have had alternator checked, and its giving out all the readings it should, altho the amps are a bit low.

I borrowed a alt of another car, a genuine Ford one, and the problems I had go away, so its defo the new alt.

I went back to shop I bought alt from, they put there tester on, and it shows its fine.

The shop will not refund me, or give me credit note.

They offered an exchange, but only once they send old one away, for testing first.
Posted By: Helles Re: Where do I stand on this? - 24th Aug 2012 2:16pm
Phone trading standards to see what your rights are.
Posted By: SammyJones Re: Where do I stand on this? - 24th Aug 2012 2:29pm
Where do you stand!?

Bus stop by the sounds of it.

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Where do I stand on this? - 24th Aug 2012 2:34pm
Originally Posted by SammyJones
Where do you stand!?

Bus stop by the sounds of it.

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist.
There is a section for comedians here you go https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/Jokes_Pics_Video_s_and_One_Lin.html

Nothing useful to say, then why bother.
Posted By: keving Re: Where do I stand on this? - 24th Aug 2012 2:38pm
if it tests fine then don't suppose there is anything you can do, just one of those things. No way of proving it is faulty, and prob a lot of messing round trying to.

i had a 2 year old bmw 5 series and it was basically shit slow and really heavy on juice. Still under BMW warranty i took it back 4 times, but all they would do is plug it in and no faults would show. They would say there is nothing wrong with it and no way of demonstrating there was. I had to sell it in the end...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Where do I stand on this? - 24th Aug 2012 3:14pm
stand by the fancy electronic till and ask for your money back. if you are not happy with a purchased item you should be given a refund. this item is "unsuitable" for your needs as you have already mentioned. take the item back to the store and tell them it is "unsuitable" and you would like a refund...if they refuse contact trading standards who will be more than happy to help you.
Posted By: mrhanky Re: Where do I stand on this? - 25th Aug 2012 8:14pm
is this the one from lvw?
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Where do I stand on this? - 25th Aug 2012 10:35pm
yes
Posted By: bushnut Re: Where do I stand on this? - 25th Aug 2012 10:53pm
You're not entitles to anything. You said yourself you had it tested and it was giving all the readings it should. When it was tested by the premises it was shown to be working correctly. It isn't the part that's not working, it's just not working with your car, which could be down to a number of different things... but all of them nothing to do with the alternator.

If it was faulty or not working then you would have some statutory rights in relation to a replacement, repair, or refund. As the item is as described, not faulty, you are unfortunately entitled to nada, nothing, zero.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Where do I stand on this? - 25th Aug 2012 11:02pm
Originally Posted by bushnut
You're not entitles to anything. You said yourself you had it tested and it was giving all the readings it should. When it was tested by the premises it was shown to be working correctly. It isn't the part that's not working, it's just not working with your car, which could be down to a number of different things... but all of them nothing to do with the alternator.

If it was faulty or not working then you would have some statutory rights in relation to a replacement, repair, or refund. As the item is as described, not faulty, you are unfortunately entitled to nada, nothing, zero.

pretty much what this man says, unfortunately for you.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Where do I stand on this? - 26th Aug 2012 8:27am
Originally Posted by bushnut

I also said the amps are low, it is a 80 amp alt, and I am getting 32 amps, (nothing to do with the alt) how can this be, I put an original ford one on, and things are perfect, I put the new one back on and things go wrong, I would love to know how you come up with (nothing to do with alt) You say also item as as described, no its not, its is described as a 80 amp alt, the only amps am getting from alt are 32 amps.
Posted By: phk68bay Re: Where do I stand on this? - 27th Aug 2012 1:09pm
you also said you tried it with an original ford one and it worked fine. What make is the one you have bought as it may just not be compatible with you car, which means its not the alts fault. If you can prove its giving the wrong amps thats a different matter so thats what you need to focus on. how ever 80amps does not mean thats what you get when its fitted, its just its max output. If you cant argue the case over the amps then think you will have to go buy the one you know works and just put it down to experience x
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Where do I stand on this? - 27th Aug 2012 1:30pm
Originally Posted by phk68bay
you also said you tried it with an original ford one and it worked fine. What make is the one you have bought
It is a Bosch
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Where do I stand on this? - 27th Aug 2012 1:44pm
let them send it off an get a replacement?

if you buy a tv, an its faulty 2 and a half months later , its a send of jobby unless you have bought a certain type of cover.

if it also comes back fine from tests they are certainly not going to refund you.

So if your convinced its faulty you have nothing to lose by letting them send it off?
Posted By: phk68bay Re: Where do I stand on this? - 27th Aug 2012 2:09pm
they are normally a good make, so it may just be its not compatible with ford, sorry you may have to just put up with it or bin it an buy a ford one. Ive bought cheaper ones in the past thinking im saving money, only to find they dont work as well, and ending up having to buy the origianl any way.
Posted By: turnip Re: Where do I stand on this? - 28th Aug 2012 7:19am
A product must be fit for the purpose described. If you have given them your reg/ car info the the product is not 'compatible' then that item is not fit for purpose and you are entitled to a refund. Make sure you use the words not fit for purpose and you may get a little further. From memory that's in the sale of goods act.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral