Forums
Posted By: Mark Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Dec 2008 10:20am
Please use this Topic to Discuss in General Wirral's Pubs Past & Present. happy

Please Keep Information relevant to a Pub in its Respective Topic.
If you cant find a Topic Please Start one.

When Starting a New Topic Please visit the Index Page Click Me

Index >> Ref Number >> Title.

learn Example 12 Arrowe Park Hotel

12 Being the Number in the Index List.

This Thread is to Discuss the Pubs Past and Present Only. Thanks.
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Dec 2008 10:23am
Originally Posted by jimbob
2 of the pubs, numbers 350 and 351, where both on the corners of Waterloo Place and Chester Street. With you back to Chester Street looking into Waterloo place. The Shakespeare was on the left hand corner and the Prince Alfred on the right hand corner.I use to drink in the Shakespear in the early 1960s. Had many a stay behind after closing time in those days. The manager was a mate of one of my mates hence the stay behinds. Thats a good list you have got.
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Dec 2008 10:25am
The Letters in Chester Street was on the corner of St Mary's Gate and Chester Street. The Lord Napier in St Pauls Road, there was a bloke murdered there, some time between 1970 and 2000. does any one remember it
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Dec 2008 10:25am
Originally Posted by jonno40
Ste the pub on Brighton street opposite the town hall is or was The Brighton ,goin that way later so i will try an remember to get a pic for you thumbsup
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Dec 2008 10:42am
Originally Posted by Lukeo25
isn't there a pub on top of well lane as well?? i can picture it but can't put a name to it and does any1 remember Miltons in Birkenhead?
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Dec 2008 11:36am
Okay

Ive had a little Trouble Splitting the Original Topic so ive had to Quote some of your posts, so you can see who said what.

Ive updated the Index Page with the few new ones too.

I will now Link the Index Page with the Running Topics.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Dec 2008 2:47pm
Can anybody tell me the name of the pub opposite Seacombe Ferry which was demolished in the 1970's? I think locally it was nicknamed "Breezes". Thanks
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Dec 2008 4:23pm
You may want to check the Index List?
As many of there names also have a street name too. Click me
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 29th Dec 2008 3:23pm
Okay ive added a good handful more which ive updated in the index page for the pubs.

Feel free to add story's photos experiences about the pubs we have listed, it all adds to our history.

any names and dates would be great, landlords names.
Why it closed / demolished ?

was it a good pub to visit.

Big thanks to derekdwc for starting the ball rolling on this one smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 29th Dec 2008 10:25pm
help needed
where Argos is in Birkenhead there was a pub
Was it called The Argyle or The New Argyle

When you go over the 4 bridges and turn left towards the flour mills what was the name of the pub on the right .Would this be
in Birkenhead or Wallasey

Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 29th Dec 2008 11:49pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
help needed

It was called the Argyle, but as it replaced the 'old' Argyle (see here) it was often referred to as the 'new' Argyle.
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th Dec 2008 10:20am
mark,thanks for your help,but i could not help but notice that the pub listings are mostly for bikenhead, wallasey is hardly mentioned :)some of the pubs i remember were on the tower grounds new brighton, including the lakeside,the rock point,the algerian and the woodlands.
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th Dec 2008 4:40pm
The list was provided by derekdwc, i'm merely the middle man.

If anything is a Great Starter, were already adding to it.
As Uptoncx is doing he's making the topic prefixing with the
next number in the list.

If you can remember any of the names parkgater just post them
in this topic with what ever details you can remember
and we can get them added to the list smile
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 12:10am

When you go over the 4 bridges and turn left towards the flour mills what was the name of the pub on the right .Would this be

was it not called "bonkers" at one time
Posted By: oggie Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 1:25am
It was the Blazing Stump,very apt as it burnt down before it became Bonkers.It was right opposite to Spillers.

Chris wink
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 10:30am
the pub you refer to is the swan hotel known locally as the blazing stump,it was supposed to have got its nickname from an old sea dog with a wooden leg who used to poke the coal fire with the same leg,the pub is on the wallasey.
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 1:24pm
Originally Posted by parkgater
mark,thanks for your help,but i could not help but notice that the pub listings are mostly for bikenhead, wallasey is hardly mentioned :)some of the pubs i remember were on the tower grounds new brighton, including the lakeside,the rock point,the algerian and the woodlands.

I have an updated list from derekdwc which i will update as soon as i get a mo smile
Posted By: hoseman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 3:24pm
Remember the "Blazing Stump", had a few in there in my time!!
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 5:12pm
I remember the swan it used to be our saturday night local,some wild nights in there grin
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2008 7:42pm
If you go to http://www.ukpubfinder.com/list/44
You can find quite a few local pubs and get a map of where they are
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Jan 2009 5:46pm
Chetwyn Arms Bidston Road not far from the Wirral Ladies Golf Club, but on the opposite side, and was built to accommodate the Quarry workers before Flaybrick Cemetery was opened. It was converted into two cottages which can clearly be seen today
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 12:35am

Mark - we seem to have two 75s (Pier Hotel)

Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 12:35am
ok i will sort it wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 12:44am
great photos derek, thanks happy
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 12:49am
ok finally split all of dereks posts into there own topics.
I still have to re-index the main list with them.

Derek please read your private message please.
Start new topics not list them one after the other
in the chat forum please wink

Mark.
Posted By: history Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 7:05pm
Railway Inn, Gt Meols/Hoylake

Theres a pic of the old pub in one of the Ian Boumphrey books,,, but can't find the book at the moment cry

In 1891 was run by Joseph Price. Also named on the census was my grt grandmother working as general servant.

History
(I have Ancestry if you need look ups)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 11:24pm
Any chance of someone taking daylight pictures of pubs andtheir signs in
West Kirby
Hoylake
Greaby
Ellesmere Port
Neston
Parkgate
Wallasy
Eastham
Bromborough

I'll still cover Birkenhead

No car anymore use buses and shanks' pony
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2009 11:40pm
Neston, Parkgate, Eastham, Bromborough and Birkenhead shouldn't be a problem for me.

Won't be able to get daylight pics til next weekend though - send me a PM
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Jan 2009 10:01am
mark.just thought of a pub we used in 1963 or there abouts it was called the york hotel victoria road new brighton very much a seaside pub with a glass dome roof.incidentally my father was the landlord of the travellers rest at the bottom of rowson street,between 1958 and 1964 it now has an irish name ,between 1964 and 1966 my father was landlord of the black horse lower heswall,hope this is of some use to you,regards.
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Jan 2009 10:50am
419 York hotel (Added to List)
Victoria road new Brighton

Travellers Rest (Not Added Need Street Name)
at the bottom of Rowson street,between 1958 and 1964 it now has an irish name

Black Horse (Not Added Need Street Name)
lower Heswall

All great stuff smile
Ive added one and we need more info with the others,
i will up date this post when there added to the list.

ive just added another 225 + 1 to the list thanks to derekdwc,
boy are we a county of drunks or what lol.

Mark
Posted By: Ducko Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Jan 2009 10:58am
hi guys i was lookin at sum old maps i have and one from 1911 shows a pub directly behind the myrtle were the pallett yard is now on brook st any one no what it was called
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Jan 2009 11:05am
mark,the travellers rest new brighton,this pub has two addresses,7 union terrace and 104 rowson street.there were two delivery notes for the pub one for union terrace and one for rowson street.regards
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jan 2009 12:12am
Ok thanks,
i'm catching up with the indexing, don't wait for me lol
just keep posting smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jan 2009 12:35am
Arab Arms Brook Street
The Piggy Vittoria Vaults Brook Street
Vittoria Vaults The Piggy Brook Street
Cottage Inn Brook Street 368
Criterion Vaults Brook Street 63
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jan 2009 5:12pm
I would be interested in seeing your 1911 map
I have a 1909 Birkenhead map bought £2-25 from main library
and it has PH for public house marked in many roads but no sign of one in Brooke St of one behind the Myrtle
The nearest I can see is The Grand Trunk
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jan 2009 5:33pm
I would be interested in seeing your 1911 map
I have a 1909 Birkenhead map bought £2-25 from main library
and it has PH for public house marked in many roads but no sign of one in Brooke St of one behind the Myrtle
The nearest I can see is The Grand Trunk
Posted By: Shambo Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 4:48am
There seems to be two entries for Chetwyn Arms, Bdston Rd atm. smile
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 8:57pm
If this had been up a little earlier there could have been a couple of entries for the Twenty Row and The Leasowe perhaps. Sandwiched in between is, of course, the Oyster Catcher.

Also, on the site of where St. Mary's College is now there was a pub called the Traveller's Rest. Couple of pictures in one of the Yesterday's Wirral book, plus there was the old brewery on Leasowe Road roughly where West Wallasey Van Hire is I think now...
Posted By: BigBadStuey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 9:04pm
As an add-on, the brewery would have been approximately where the tree is on the corner of Leasowe Road and Mosslands Drive, not where the above post is. Wallasey Vale Brewery.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 9:30pm
how about getting a photo of the Oyster Catcher and Leasowe Castle
the pubs are on the list
just need to get photos from somewhere

547 Oyster Catcher, Wirral Twickenham Drive, Wirral, Merseyside
618 Twenty Row, Wallasey Leasowe Road, Wallasey, Merseyside
519 Leasowe, Wirral 140 Reeds Lane, Wirral, Merseyside
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 9:36pm
wow, the twenty row!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 9:39pm
here guys, this may be of help to you.... smile

CLICKME smile
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 10:12pm

Mark, there are a number of duplicate posts:

149 Grand Trunk
165 Blue Bell
228 Copperfield
243 Abbotsford
277 Fireman's Arms

These all have the same pictures in each of two posts

269 Prince William is duplicated but has different pictures of the Prince William in each

626 number is duplicated but one is the Fisherman's Arms and the other is the Cool Room

627 number is duplicated but one is the Greek Taverna and the other is the Chetwynd Arms

418 number is duplicated but one is the Lighthouse Inn and the other is the Chetwynd Arms

(note that the Chetwynd arms is in both 418 and 627)

The Alexandra Hotel appears as both 357 and 146 (same picture in each)

Hope this helps a bit.

Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 10:18pm
I am using pub 244 Lord Raglin hotel as a refference point.
the Raglin is as you all know is on the corner of Union Street and New Chester Road. Before Bathers the tyre company built there current building and the cash and carry place was built there where 3 streets in total along side Union Street. They where Clare St, Croxteth St, and Spring St, which is the street that Bathers is on the corner off now. All of these streets led onto New Chester Road the same as Union Street does. When those 3 streets had houses in them there where 2 more pubs, one at the bottom of Spring St and one at the bottom of Croxteth St. One of them was known as the Little House. They where still there in the late 1950s. so thats not long ago for some of us older gents.
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 11:14pm

Mark

I don't know if it will help, but the file below is a list of all the pubs that have had posts (including the duplicates I mentioned earlier).

List of Pubs with Posts

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Jan 2009 11:56pm
At the time I did a list in Excel and duplicated those pubs with several names - a row for each name
Also if there were 2 addresses for a pub it was duplicated each time with different address
This was for my own benefit so I could do various sorts
eg to find all the pubs in a certain road or street
Sorry if it has been misleading to you
Because of lack of space Mark has had to leave off parts when he transferred the Excel file to plain text
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 12:13am
I don't know how far back you can go but
when I worked at the Tanyard a couple of the older men used to tell me of their Tanyard football team (poss prewar late 1930s or during war} which played on jamjar park and could be seen playing there from a pub which became the canteen (when I first started 1962}
It was on New Chester Road nearly opposite Seabank Road which if you looked at the tannery was on the right
Any idea what the pub was called
When I was there what they used to call jamjar park was already built on by Cammell Lairds
Not sure if Pongo Waring played for them
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 12:14am
Yeh Thanks for the feedback.

As Derek says above, i couldn't hold his original formatting,
so the list is a simplified one.

As i mentioned with Derek i will refine the list,
and make them easier to understand.

For example :

30 Rock Ferry Hotel 1 Bedford Road
** Royal Rock hotel
32 Admiral Hotel 2 Bedford Road 4 Bedford Road East

Ideally we think listing the public house by

If its still open for business by its current name,
and if its been demolished / closed by its last working name.
And then we will list in the main index its other names too.

There will be gaps in the numbers,
but over time i'm sure we will get them changed back.

Currently : I'm actually "Notifying" the post and telling myself that that post needs to be indexed, i currently have 73 to index but i do know which ones they are, and i will do what i can when
i can, so i'm keeping up with you guys, slowly and surly.

Thanks for the help with the duplicates it all helps
and i will reference those listed. I wont forget, i just need
a Sunday to my self to catch up lol

All your help and dedication is very much appreciated.
Thanks Guys Mark.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 11:12am
This must be the area you mean. I happen to have this because my grandmother lived in Seafield House & my grandfather in Clare St. before they married. They then moved to Brougham St. People didn't move far in those days.

Attached picture Seafield house, Clare st.& Brougham St. sm.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 12:39pm
what year is your map
Does go any further back along New Chester Road towards the town hall
I'd like to have a good 50s map covering the Priory Buildings and roads from Woodside /Chester Street to Rock Ferry/Old Chester Road
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 12:48pm
Have you noticed the older ppubs were usually on the corner of two streets or roads
I think on the main road they had a door to the BAR room (it was usually a smoke room and had very few ladies in it)
The other Parlour door would often be in the other street
This would have been where you took your wife or lady friend and
sometimes had Waitress service where you had several pushbutton bells to summon the waitress
One such pub I remember was the Wellington. It was near the old market - The Haymarket?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 4:13pm
what year is your map
Does go any further back along New Chester Road towards the town hall
I'd like to have a good 50s map covering the Priory Buildings and roads from Woodside /Chester Street to Rock Ferry/Old Chester Road

Sorry, don't know the year & is only a fragment; photographed in the Archives some time ago. I'll see if I've any maps of the area which might be useful to you.
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 7:59pm
Originally Posted by uptoncx

Mark, there are a number of duplicate posts:

149 Grand Trunk
165 Blue Bell
228 Copperfield
243 Abbotsford
277 Fireman's Arms

These all have the same pictures in each of two posts

269 Prince William is duplicated but has different pictures of the Prince William in each

626 number is duplicated but one is the Fisherman's Arms and the other is the Cool Room

627 number is duplicated but one is the Greek Taverna and the other is the Chetwynd Arms

418 number is duplicated but one is the Lighthouse Inn and the other is the Chetwynd Arms

(note that the Chetwynd arms is in both 418 and 627)

The Alexandra Hotel appears as both 357 and 146 (same picture in each)

Hope this helps a bit.

All done happy boy you saved me some time there,
more fiddly than i thought thanks wink

To link to a topic just click on the [Linked Image]
its just above the members name, every post has one.
and then copy the address out of the address bar wink

Thanks Uptoncx appreciated smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 8:00pm
290 Windsor Castle Castle Hotel 44 Oxton Road

Make a new Topic please chris smile
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jan 2009 8:03pm
Search Tip ?

If your using Internet explorer press

CTRL + F

This brings up the find on this page search option.

Its how i find topics in the list pretty quickly.

===================================================

If your using Fire Fox
Same as above, but you get a new bar at the bottom
of the page where as IE is a popup smile

Keeping pressing find next as there may be more than one.

I will add the above to the search page to help others.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 11:32am
add

630 Old Tavern 16-18 Magazine Lane, Wallasey

cheers!
Posted By: yoller Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 1:16pm
The Arrowe Park

Attached picture GetAttachment-1.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 1:17pm
The Birkenhead Arms

Attached picture GetAttachmen.jpg
Posted By: yoller Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 1:21pm
The Shakespeare, on King's Square opposite the main Birkenhead Market steps and next to the tunnel entrance, pictured in 1961. This pub was known locally as 'The Big Shakey' to distinguish it from the other Shakespeare pub not far away on the corner of Waterloo Place / Chester Street - which was known as 'The Little Shakey.'

Attached picture GetAttachment-2.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 3:34pm
631 Castle Hotel, Wallasey Road, Wallasey
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 5:35pm
any suggestions on

What is the oldest pub building still standing and still serving beer on the Wirral
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 5:37pm
any suggestions on oldest pub on Wirral
Building still standing and being used as a pub
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 5:42pm
The Wheatsheaf, Raby got to be up there with the oldest.
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 5:42pm
Wheatsheaf in Raby is I believe, the oldest pub on the wirral. Still being used as well happy
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 5:42pm
Beat me to it Ghostly raftl
Posted By: ghostly1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2009 6:33pm
Sorry dude, I was told that by someone coz i near enough pass it on my way to work but have never ventured inside.

Whats the next oldest then? The Harp Inn, Neston??
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Jan 2009 7:53pm

Does anyone remember these?

[Linked Image]

When 'draught' mixers were introduced, they were served in these 'mini carafes', about 4 inches tall. They were marked on the side so that you got the same amount as in a normal mixer bottle.

[Linked Image]

It didn't last very long, I think most of them got pinched!

Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Jan 2009 10:22pm
Never new that smile

All topics are Indexed now until the next batch you all post
at me, i think thats an additional 70 + Topics now added
to the main index post.

Great work everyone thumbsup
And a HUGE thanks for your pictures and your post.

Mark
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Jan 2009 1:02pm

Mark, the Horse and Jockeys on Arrowe Park Road are a bit mixed up (probably my fault). As the one Horse and Jockey was replaced by The Arrowe Park Hotel, I imagine its pictures should be with the Arrowe Park Hotel.

I would suggest the following:
No 413:-
Move the first picture in my post to No 12, Arrowe Park Hotel.
Move the second picture from my post and the posts from derekdwc and phillhere to No 13, Horse and Jockey.
Remove No 413
No 13:-
Move your post (quoting derekdwc) to No 12, Arrowe Park Hotel.

Hope this makes sence

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Jan 2009 2:22pm
Please link :-

581 Seacombe Ferry 1 Victoria Place, Wallasey

Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Jan 2009 2:37pm
Also:-

Link -

440 Brighton, Wallasey 133 Brighton Street
481 Five Bars Rest, Borough Road, Wallasey

and add

637 The Great Float 164 Wheatland Lane, Seacombe
638 The Mona Castle 161 Wheatland Lane, Seacombe

Thanks!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Jan 2009 7:31pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
Also:-

Link -

481 Five Bars Rest, Borough Road, Wallasey

and add

637 The Great Float 164 Wheatland Lane, Seacombe
638 The Mona Castle 161 Wheatland Lane, Seacombe

Thanks!

Should be renamed as

"536 Mona Castle, Wallasey 161 Wheatland Lane, Wallasey, Merseyside" and linked.

Thanks!
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Jan 2009 8:09pm
Originally Posted by ghostly1
The Wheatsheaf, Raby got to be up there with the oldest.

is that the one with the thatched roof?
can anyone remember the pub halfway up green lane in tranmere,think it was the brittania,anybody got a photo...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Jan 2009 8:57pm
Used to go there for a drink Thursday Friday 60s with some of the lads from Liverpool who used to work at the Tanyard
Dead handy for the train from Green Lane Station
Will add a photo of what's there now on Wirral Pubs
267 Britannia Hotel 2 to 4 Old Chester Road
Posted By: PhilH Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Jan 2009 6:42pm
The last time I went in The Brit was 1992, the day I finished at Lairds.

I only had 4 pints although my wife didn't believe me! First pint wasn't too good so it was suggested we went on Aussie whites. A large Aussie was a half pint glass to the rim and 6 of these later all I could do was stagger back down Green lane and go and collect my stuff!
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Jan 2009 6:45pm

very old pub think wink
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Jan 2009 11:56pm
Isnt it the wheatsheaf or what ever in raby dated back to the 1600's known locally as the thatch if im not mistaken.. Apparantly the oldest part of the pub is the fire place.. happy
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Jan 2009 12:34am
I'm playing catch up guys but i have everything tagged to catch up at the weekend. happy

Thanks for the observations they do help smile

Note : Please keep the subject of the topic the same please wink
Posted By: Ducko Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Jan 2009 2:14pm
here r sum bottels i got out of the park lake when thay draind it EDMONDSON AND CO LIVERPOOL AND BIRKENHEAD.ALLSOPS LTD.BOTANIC BEER CO LOWER HILL LIVERPOOL.H KING AND CO NEWBRIGHTON.THORNESTRAWSONS AND CO BIRKENHEAD EST 1826

Attached picture Photo0705.jpg
Attached picture Photo0706.jpg
Attached picture Photo0707.jpg
Attached picture Photo0708.jpg
Attached picture Photo0709.jpg
Attached picture Photo0710.jpg
Attached picture Photo0711.jpg
Attached picture Photo0712.jpg
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Jan 2009 10:07pm
Iron Maiden gig on 23rd November 1979 at THE GALLERY in birkenhead,never heard of the gallery,anybody got any info ?
Posted By: scoops Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Jan 2009 10:10pm
Yeah The Gallery became Stairways
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Jan 2009 10:22pm
loved maiden for years, never knew they had been here,seen a picture of a ticket on one of their dvd's.mind you i have never been in stairways either,anyone got any pics inside.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Jan 2009 2:42pm
THERE WAS A PUB CALLED FISHERMAMS WHALF SECOMBE BY 4 BRIDGES THAT BURNI DOWN I THINK,
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Jan 2009 2:51pm
yeah the Wharf was just off east street in seacombe and burnt down 96 after it had been closed for a while.
The owner went on to own the le banque at the bottom of borough road in seacombe which closed down about two years ago
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Jan 2009 5:37pm
Sorry Guys i will catch up.
Been a really busy week and now a busy weekend.
I have all the stuff marked for editing etc.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Jan 2009 9:31pm
Not being a drinking man I have little knowledge about individual places. However, what I do have is a copy of a "Cyclists & Ramblers Map of Wirral" dated around the late 1950s I guess, or at least that will be when I bought it.

Key features of the map are
(a) It shows lots of pubs along the main roads and close to footpaths. Well, I suppose you need liquid refreshment while cycling/ rambling.

(b) The lack of any really major roads

(c) the relatively small sizes of many of the villages etc that have now expanded into almost urban conglomerations.

I have scanned 3 parts of the map covering a lot or Wirral. The scans have then been resized but I think the inages are ok. Some clever person can probably reonbine the three scans into one picture (or if there is interest I will dig out the A3 scanner and try to cover more on one scan).

Snod

Attached picture WirralMap001.jpg
Attached picture WirralMap002.jpg
Attached picture WirralMap003.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Jan 2009 8:16pm
All Joined up Click me
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 12:09am

Hi Mark

There are a couple of duplicate topics in the forum still:
267, 267 Britania Hotel
474, 474 Eastham Ferry Hotel
497, 497 Harp Inn, Little Neston.

Also, the Cool Room is on Twice ( 645 and 628) but 628 is also Travellers Rest Wallasey.

636 Greyhound Inn Shotwick, is missing off the index

and the following have been given new numbers, but are on the index:
414 Argyle Hotel should be 10,
637 Great Float should be 490,
651 Stanley, Eastham should be 596.

Hope this helps a bit, if it doesn't just tell me to go away.

Pubs with Posts

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 2:42am
Did you mean the Greyhound in Saughall? Used to be my local. Stan ran a tight ship. If you went into the lounge wearing jeans, he "suggested" you might feel more comfortable in the bar!! No musak and any bad language was viciously stamped on !!

Don't recall a pub in Shotwick village.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 4:45am
THIS IS NOT ON LIST 640(WEIGHBRIDGE/SCHOONER) BROOK ST EAST B/HEAD AM I OK ON THE ^.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 5:01am
SORRY GUYS IS 640 THE NEXT INDEX NO
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 6:32pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Did you mean the Greyhound in Saughall? Used to be my local. Stan ran a tight ship. If you went into the lounge wearing jeans, he "suggested" you might feel more comfortable in the bar!! No musak and any bad language was viciously stamped on !!

Don't recall a pub in Shotwick village.

You're correct, there are no pubs in Shotwick today, however in the past there was at least one inn, The Greyhound, there is a picture of it here, it closed in 1915 because of 'drunkenness on the Sabbath'. This was due to Irish farm labourers from farms on the other side of the Welsh Border three miles away. Wales, at that time, was 'dry' on a Sunday and the nearest pub open was the Greyhound.

Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 6:34pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
SORRY GUYS IS 640 THE NEXT INDEX NO

I make 640 the next index number, although there is a 645, 650, 651 and 652.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2009 6:46pm
Thanks uptoncx. You are a mine of information ! Never realised there was a pub in Shotwick. Been past that house quite a lot en route to the marshes. Wonder if the Saughall Greyhound took the name after the Shotwick one closed ??
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Jan 2009 10:04pm
382 Royal Hotel, Woodchurch Road. Was closed some time before christmas and the board nailed up outside which has become the norm, saying a bussness opertunity available.
I passed it today and some one has taken up the opertunity and it is now OPEN AGAIN
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Jan 2009 6:17pm

Hi Mark

There are a couple of duplicate topics in the forum still:
267, 267 Britania Hotel
474, 474 Eastham Ferry Hotel
497, 497 Harp Inn, Little Neston.

Also, the Cool Room is on Twice ( 645 and 628) but 628 is also Travellers Rest Wallasey.

636 Greyhound Inn Shotwick, is missing off the index

and the following have been given new numbers, but are on the index:
414 Argyle Hotel should be 10,
637 Great Float should be 490,
651 Stanley, Eastham should be 596.

Hope this helps a bit, if it doesn't just tell me to go away.

Pubs with Posts

Huge Thanks Uptoncx
I didn't even see those mistakes, keep them coming,
we want to be as accurate as we can.

The list will always tweak as we go along.
And i guess a few missing numbers along the way.

But we as moderators can now rename a whole topic with out
having to edit each post to do so.

Not sure about the "Pubs with Posts" threw me that one.

Please don't go away lol wink
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th Jan 2009 6:42pm

Hi Mark, just to let you know that there are a couple of numbers to be added to the index:

639 Farmer's Arms, Tunnel Road, Birkenhead.
640 Horse and Groom, Upton.
641 Wheatsheaf, Raby
660 Trafalgar Sports and Music Bar, Lower Bebington.

and a few to be linked:

153 Royal Duke Hotel 1 Duke Street.
200 Bidston Hotel.
375 The Warwick, Westbourne Road, Birkenhead.
376 Westbourne, Westbourne Road, Birkenhead.
396 Farmers Arms, New Ferry.
422 Anchor Inn, Irby.
441 Brown Cow, Bromborough.
473 Eagle Arms, Wallasey.
482 Fox and Hounds, Barnston Dale.

The 'Pubs with Posts' is just my list of all the pubs that have had pictures posted, it's just how I am keeping track of the numbers, sorry to cause confusion

Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th Jan 2009 10:01pm
The Park View 151, Duke Street. At the top of the building there is a sign saying Grand Trunk Hotel. {Yet in the list of pubs 149 is listed as the Grand Trunk hotel, Dock Road.} anybody throw any light on this
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 12:05am
151 Park View Hotel 71 Duke Street
149 Grand Trunk Hotel 55 Dock Road (Duke St)

not sure what you mean about signs
Here are the photos of them
I'm fairly sure Duke St may have been called the dock road at some time

Attached picture 149 Grand Trunk Hotel 55 Dock Road (Duke St) .jpg
Attached picture 151 the Park View.JPG
Posted By: Angela Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 9:17am
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Greenland Fishery in Neston.It dates back to the 1600's and is said to be the only pub in the country with this name
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 10:03am

Greenland Fishery is here

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 10:08am
you are quick beat me to answer
How do you do the here shortcut to the photo
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 10:35am

I'd like to know that too.

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 10:40am
how do you do the white part ie copy part of text from another post
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 11:18am
how do you do the white part ie copy part of text from another post

By clicking on "Quote" and not "Reply".

Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 5:16pm
my boss was telling me about a pub called the halfway house but down near the docks area in birkenhead not the one on woodchurch road,do not know if this was a nickname or a real name,anyone know where this was or is ? did not see it in the list.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 6:04pm
could it have been 123 Victoria Hotel 162 Cleveland Street
which I think was nicknamed the round house
It used to be on the other side of the road from
124 North Western Hotel 185 Cleveland Street
It was on the corner of Freeman st as you were going to the 4 bridges
Posted By: Angela Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 6:22pm

Greenland Fishery is here

Hi,uptoncx grin
Sorry, I must have missed that one, that's a good photo
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 11:13pm
Originally Posted by chriskay

I'd like to know that too.

Cheers, Chris.

Use the Switch to Full Reply Screen Button.
To get the link to the topic click on the [Linked Image]
Then copy the new link from your address bar at the top of
your screen.

Use that in the Full Reply using the "URL" Button which
1st asks for the Link
2nd asks for the description "here".

Practice makes perfect wink
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Jan 2009 11:15pm

Hi Mark, just to let you know that there are a couple of numbers to be added to the index:

639 Farmer's Arms, Tunnel Road, Birkenhead.
640 Horse and Groom, Upton.
641 Wheatsheaf, Raby
660 Trafalgar Sports and Music Bar, Lower Bebington.

and a few to be linked:

153 Royal Duke Hotel 1 Duke Street.
200 Bidston Hotel.
375 The Warwick, Westbourne Road, Birkenhead.
376 Westbourne, Westbourne Road, Birkenhead.
396 Farmers Arms, New Ferry.
422 Anchor Inn, Irby.
441 Brown Cow, Bromborough.
473 Eagle Arms, Wallasey.
482 Fox and Hounds, Barnston Dale.

The 'Pubs with Posts' is just my list of all the pubs that have had pictures posted, it's just how I am keeping track of the numbers, sorry to cause confusion

You can also use Quick Quote too wink

Thanks Uptoncx
Doing these now been a busy week wink
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Feb 2009 1:54pm
My mistake, was driving along clevland street and as i passed through the lights at duke street, i glanced up towards the grand trunk and got mixed up by thinking i was looking at the park view with the name grand trunk on one side of the building. {blame tesco as that where i had this last pair of glasses made up}
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Feb 2009 3:54pm
Originally Posted by Mark

Use the Switch to Full Reply Screen Button.
To get the link to the topic click on the [Linked Image]
Then copy the new link from your address bar at the top of
your screen.

Use that in the Full Reply using the "URL" Button which
1st asks for the Link
2nd asks for the description "here".

Practice makes perfect wink

No, sorry, lost me. Any chance of a little demo video?

Cheers, Chris.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Feb 2009 4:34pm
found this
looks as if it was on corner of Corrporation Road and Patten St

304 Half way House 75 Patten Street

Attached picture 304 Half way House 75 Patten Street.gif
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Feb 2009 7:07pm
nice one, i take it that it is not there anymore?
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Feb 2009 11:05pm
Your right it was on the corner of Patten Street and Corporation Road. I think it had shut and gone even before that Film star/Actor killed himself while driving up Lansdowne Road one night {he drove into that dead end on the left hand side as you went up Lansdowne.} Think his name was Bonny Calino or some think like that. It was a long time ago, any body remember it happening
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Feb 2009 5:39pm
I was told it was in Corporation Road coming up towards St James Church

Bonar Colleano died, aged 34, when he crashed his sports car in Birkenhead shortly after exiting the Queensway tunnel. He was driving back from Liverpool's New Shakespeare Theatre, where he had been appearing in a stage production of Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? His passenger, fellow actor and friend Michael Balfour, required 98 stitches, but he eventually recovered.

on wikipedia
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Feb 2009 9:32pm
Right its picking at my brians big time.. Where Argos is based know there was a pub there an Higsons pub what the hell was it called all i can remember about it is was the Argos used to be where Yorkshire bank is right know and the pub was across from it at the end.. It was there when the OLD asda was where wilkinsons is know and the big huge car park with the 2 bus stops and from the bus stops you could see this pub happy

I think the pub stared with "The" and then "d" cant remember the D name..
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Feb 2009 9:37pm
is it the argyle pub mate?
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Feb 2009 9:37pm
Argyle rings abell it might be yer smile
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Feb 2009 10:54pm
The pub that was where the argos is now, yes it was called the argyle. but dont forget it was a modern new building and had taken the name argyle from the original Argyle pub which was part of the building that ws bombed during the war {the argyle theater} the pub section of the building remained usuable after the bomb that destroyed the rest of the building and stayed open for years after the war was over. It was on the corner of Argyle Street and Oliver Street
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Feb 2009 6:31pm
Your right it was on the corner of Patten Street and Corporation Road. I think it had shut and gone even before that Film star/Actor killed himself while driving up Lansdowne Road one night {he drove into that dead end on the left hand side as you went up Lansdowne.} Think his name was Bonny Calino or some think like that. It was a long time ago, any body remember it happening

he died at the corner of corporation road and millner street just after where the road goes over the railway line,got that from a person who was in the area at the time...so he tells me!
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Feb 2009 9:58am
Ive just caught up with the Index page again ( I think and hope ).
With Derek's help the Index has duplicates removed so its
looking gappy but that cant be helped is all about
making it a accurate as we possibly can smile

Great work time and effort by all smile
Posted By: uptoncx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Feb 2009 10:21am

Hi Mark, just a couple you've missed (sorry):

240 Traveller's Rest
488 The Grange, Moreton
554 The Plough, Moreton
and 655 Old Red Lion should be 607
663 The Wellington, Liscard needs adding

Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Feb 2009 10:32am
Cheers i dunno how i keep missing them smack

Updated changed and removed smile

Thanks again all the help is appreciated thanks

Mark
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Feb 2009 12:22pm
does anyone remember the Happy Valley pub in Borough Road
Trying to find where it was

Posted By: yoller Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Feb 2009 4:30pm
As far as I remember, the Happy Valley pub was almost opposite Raffles Road, just across from the central library. Borough road was a lot narrower in those days and the pub was part of a row of buildings, including a garage and a shop - all now demolished to widen the road.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Feb 2009 6:07pm
Spot on yoller oak bank flats at rear of the happy valley. the flats were three stories high when built maisonettes now?
Posted By: yoller Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Feb 2009 6:40pm
Thanks, kimpri1. I'm dredging my memory and I think the Happy Valley was a Yates's pub, but I'm probably wrong on that. But I remember Oak Bank flats very well - they were really impressive to us as kids and looked sky-high (although they were nothing as tall as the high rises built later elsewhere in Birkenhead). Was there also somewhere called Quarry Bank in this area? I think I've read that the Happy Valley pub was so named from the days when Borough Road was a stream situated in a pleasant valley which fed into Tranmere Pool near the site of what is now Central Station.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Feb 2009 10:21pm
I go further back than when the flats where behind the Happy Valley. Before the flats there where Prefabs.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Feb 2009 11:18pm
How far.Did you live round there. i did
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Feb 2009 11:19pm
Was Yammas a pub once?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Feb 2009 7:49am
A list of Pubs i was given, may be of use.

Attached picture LastScan.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Feb 2009 5:01pm
Good site for pub pics here
http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/userinfo.php?name=traveller

lots of pubs all round the country
Lots there for ex scousers
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Mar 2009 7:44pm
1916 Trade Directory
All these pubs are or nearly 100 years old

Attached picture 1916Trades Directory.jpg
Attached picture 1916Trades Directory 2.jpg
Attached picture 1916Trades Directory 3.jpg
Posted By: SoundLad Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Mar 2009 3:12pm
I was thinking last night with all the Pubs closing down we should all chip in and buy a derilct pub (obviously not burnt out by the Council) and call it the Wiki have a few computers here and there and lock it on to the Wiki Wirral website and people can all gather there and one other note.. Let it have a big huge car park for the monthly meet hehe smile
Posted By: derekdwc Xanziabar Argyle Street Birkenhead help - 7th Mar 2009 10:47pm
Xanziabar Argyle Street Birkenhead

what other names has this club had
Posted By: Dava2479 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Mar 2009 12:06am
Promises,befor xanzibar and is now Sopies.Or should I say was.It`s now closed.
Posted By: uggla Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Mar 2009 9:56am
Originally Posted by SoundLad
I was thinking last night with all the Pubs closing down we should all chip in and buy a derilct pub (obviously not burnt out by the Council) and call it the Wiki have a few computers here and there and lock it on to the Wiki Wirral website and people can all gather there and one other note.. Let it have a big huge car park for the monthly meet hehe smile

haha i said this in another thread yesterday.

only just seen this post lol
Posted By: daveybm Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Mar 2009 11:43am
Someone on page 1 of this thread asked for the name of the pub opposite Seacombe Ferry which was demolished in the 70s it was the Marine Hotel (Whitbreads) locally known as Brasseys, it was situated on the corner or Bikenhead Road and Church Road, there is a roundabout there now and a new housing estate I haven't seen any photos or mention of it on the site.

Dave
Posted By: daveybm Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Mar 2009 12:25pm
Futher to the Marine Hotel the address was 1 Birkenhead Road Wallasey

Dave
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Mar 2009 5:48pm
Just been reading article in wirral news about pubs closing - i wonder what sparked them to write it? think
Posted By: Northender Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Mar 2009 9:59pm
Hello

Not sure if this has been posted before but today I noticed the old Post Office pub in Argyle Street has closed. I don't go that way very often so maybe it's been closed a while.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2009 12:19am
The Queens Arms (or whatever it is called now) in Oxton was looking closed at 08:20 pm Friday night.
Posted By: Truck967 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd May 2009 4:48pm
Youre rght about the Queens, the previous owner is now managing The Kings Arms in Bebington
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Jul 2009 12:45am
That would be the Blazing Stump
Posted By: Mike_Scott Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Jul 2009 12:48am
About 25 years ago I recall a pub in a side street off Victoria Road New Brighton, it was called the Craftsmans they had their own brew and on the label it said "brewed by Craftsmen for Craftsmen. I do not see any reference to this pub, I assume it has gone now.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Aug 2009 1:09pm
The New Ferry Hotel doesn't seem to get a mention. It was on New Ferry Road, past the Great Eastern and was situated right on the river front by the slip way. Fake Tudor frontage, bowling green at the back, plenty of parking space, bit entertainments room backing onto the bowling green. It later became the Birenhead and District Buff Club (RAOB) and then was lost through mis-management and razed to the ground. A loss to the area as the views from the bar window across the river were spot on with a pint in your mitt.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Aug 2009 1:16pm
A cracking bit of history and the Cleveland Arms is still known as Bowskill's locally, all the way from 1916 at least. Fascinating.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Sep 2009 9:01pm
1961 and 1965 pub price lists to compare

Anyone care to do a current list from your various locals

Description: 1961
Attached picture pub price list resized 1.jpg

Description: 1965
Attached picture price list 1965 resized.jpg
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Sep 2009 11:35pm
I too would like to know the name of the pub at seacombe ferry. Corner of church rd/ birkenhead rd.
Tiny little place...and i do mean tiny. One foot in the door+ u were at the bar!
It was white, i think with steps?
Been bugging me for years.
The ground subsided last year revealing the basement still there!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Sep 2009 11:38pm
Doh. Mist post above. Never mind am hp now. Soz.
Posted By: ronnie Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Sep 2009 11:54pm
Does anyone Know what Sophies on Aryle Street is called now??
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Sep 2009 4:07pm
was it the marine or brasseys
Posted By: ronnie Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Sep 2009 12:38pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
was it the marine or brasseys

Nope, High Society it's called, thanks anyway.
Posted By: bazzer Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Sep 2009 7:39am
What year did the (dave jones locker) close in egermont wallesey.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Sep 2009 1:07pm
Just seen the price lists, it made me cry. Just got hit for £2.85 for a pint of bitter at the weekend, well it was darn sarf.
More pubs will shut at these prices I shouldn't wonder. I think they charge so much because people will pay it, for now.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Oct 2009 1:43pm
trying to remember which pubs had snooker tables in

1 The Castle by Lairds
2 The Britannia Green Lane
3 The Woodside
4 The Livingstone
5 The Atlas
these ones I had a few games in

can't remember any others
Did the Crooked Billet have any

Any pubs about today that have any
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Oct 2009 1:49pm
The Cleaveland Hotel Has A Snooker Table.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Oct 2009 2:56pm
where was it
Only noticed the pool table
Posted By: karenjon Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Oct 2009 3:18pm
been told sophie's bar has reopened as high society another kids bar ?
Posted By: madhat Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Nov 2009 5:15pm
the great eastern hotel
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Nov 2009 9:50pm
Yes the crooked billet had a snooker table
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Nov 2009 9:53pm
The Royal Castle hotel on the corner of Ivy Street and New Chester Road also had a snooker table in it
Posted By: FRANKIE Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Jan 2010 1:27pm
Anyone remember the Griffin Hotel in Borough Road East (late Borough Road) Seacombe, a Higsons house,

My dad was licencee in the 40s
Posted By: carcol2006 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 15th Feb 2010 6:58pm
The pub was the Marine known better in the area as Brasseys it closed down mid 80s and demolised to make way for houses for the methodist housing association.
Posted By: billyjohnson Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Apr 2010 5:05pm
opposite john lairds
Posted By: billyjohnson Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Apr 2010 5:24pm
does any remember halfway house patten street
Posted By: billyjohnson Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Apr 2010 5:32pm
does any remember halfway house patten street
Posted By: billyjohnson Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Apr 2010 10:50am
the halfway house was on the corner of patten st and corporation rd
Posted By: chris58 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Apr 2010 6:56pm
Ive posted this question before but put it in the wrong section. Does anyone know where the stork villa pub was? One of my ancestors was the licensee there many moons ago. Wondering if it was the original Rockville????? not sure though.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Apr 2010 10:43pm
are you sure it wasn't the Stork Hotel near Hamilton Square

Villa sounds more of a house name
any sort of address and date known
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Apr 2010 11:09pm
The Rockville was called the "Rock Villa Hotel" at one time (check 1891 census), many people in the area still call it that.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Apr 2010 11:16am
dd are you also on one of these sites where you have access to censuses and how did you find the name
Only thought you could do searches by surnames only
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Apr 2010 2:42pm
You forget that I am the font of all knowledge, well at least on using google searches.

I think I just threw "Villa Hotel" and Wirral into google, it came back with "Rock Villa Hotel" for a darts team or something.

Then threw "Rock Villa Hotel" in and up popped the census.

If you put 1891 Census into the search as well its going to narrow it down. Love google, always a challenge to get your search focussed.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Apr 2010 2:49pm
Yes I was on that archive site the other day and got a list of pubs to check against the pub index

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Birkenhead_Registration_District,_1891_Census_Street_Index_P-R
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Apr 2010 3:02pm
From 1891 at least the pub has been Rock Villa/Rockville
chris58 pms full so still waiting to see where he got his info
and if any more info
Posted By: SUExx Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Apr 2010 3:36pm
chris58 is a she derek
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Apr 2010 9:23pm
The Stork Hotel, on the corner of Adelphi Street and Price Street
Posted By: chris58 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Apr 2010 7:58pm
Thanks folks I will have a word with my sister who does the family history thing and get some def. dates.
And last time I looked I was female!!!!! ha ha
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Apr 2010 8:56pm
If you need a second opinion hi
Posted By: Northender Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 12:41am
The Mersey Vaults Pub.

Does anybody remember where this pub was? It was somewhere in the side streets off Dock Road. Not to be confused with the Mersey Arms.

It may have been demolished by now.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 12:48am
99% sure that there has never been a "Mersey Vaults" on the Wirral, quite a few other Vaults, but not Mersey.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 11:04am
Mersey Vaults Mersey Hotel
not sure if Mersey Vaults became Mersey Hotel or vici versa the other way round
I've seen both names same address somewhere

Attached picture mersey vaults.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 11:45am
the map is 1953/54 see street number
This is from 1916 street directory

Attached picture mersey hotel.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 12:03pm
google map

reckon there must be cellars under those spots where the pubs were
may have shaded in the wrong part for the vaults

Attached picture george st.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 12:43pm
may possibly have become the Commodore
same Lord Street/George Street unless it was on one of the other corners of that crossroads
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 12:46pm
Has the Royal Castle Hotel Hotel/California 2 New Chester Road
now been renamed as
Revolver
2 New Chester Road
Birkenhead
Posted By: ronnie Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 1:07pm
Yes Derek it is now called Revolver, I couldn't tell you when it changed though.
Posted By: chris58 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 5:59pm
Ha Ha very funny!!!!!!!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 7:25pm
same Lord Street/George Street unless it was on one of the other corners of that crossroads
not the commodore mate!
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 10:15pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
not the commodore mate!

sorry mate it is deffo the commdore bud just searched map thumbsup
Posted By: Ray58 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Apr 2010 10:58pm
Commodore was on the corner of Lord St/George St, entrance in George St. Excelent Bikers pub with some great bands on a Saturday.
Sadly missed now.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 1:24pm
Birkenhead has lost some great drinking venues in the last couple of years paticularly in the town centre and the situation gets worse.
Its a shame to see many of these once great bulidings going to rack and ruin.

[youtube]uK-zN2ipnxA[/youtube]

[youtube]IImrYefLjAc[/youtube]

Thanks to JerkInBed from youtube for the videos. happy
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 4:07pm
It is a shame that they have closed, but some of them exist where there is no business anymore, particularly around the docks. Huge estates have been demolised, so these places exist quite literally in the middle of nowhere. Hardly the sorts of places you could imagine young couples going. I remember speaking to staff in the old English gent on Cleveland St, they asked our opinions on what they could do attract the younger clientele. "pick it and move it to the centre of town" was our answer.

I watched a similar decline of the Legion in Croxteth. Used to be heaving on a Sunday, queues going down the road, but as their members got old and stopped going, they didn't do nothing to attract new customers.

The smoking ban has had a lot to do with closures, but ultimately these places haven't moved with the times. I remember when I first took a job in a nightclub and the answer to decor was "just paint the place all black it hides anything". Like club owners could get away with that now.
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 8:08pm
growing up in birkenhead there seemed to be a pub on every corner.there used to be a lot more housing in birkenhead with till they reshaped the place and moved people out and demolished a lot of the town.these days its cheaper to go to the supermarket or offy and sit in watching the tv with all the channels people have these days. even the pubs by us arent that busy,if ale was cheaper more people might go out.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 8:21pm
It's become more attractive to me to drink in the house, I've got my films and tv to watch, can do it in the warmth, no need to get a taxi to get home. I can fall asleep pissed on my sofa with only the stairs to get up to go to bed.

Pubs are far too expensive, the money i'd spend going out, I could buy a week's worth of food shopping.

I bet internet dating has had a lot to do with the decline of nightclubs like Rockys and Ruperts.
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 9:35pm
these days the clubs,pubs seem to be full of kids gettin drunk.if we go out on the rare occasion of a babysitter we tend to go to the liverpool rigbys in dale street & then on to matthew street.it always seems a better atmosphere over there,our two older kids always went to liverpool when they were younger and never had any bother.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 10:16pm
The only time me + plusone go the pub is with the wiki's-g.hunt meets. Prefer to drink in the house-cheaper, safer+ we get to control the music!!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Apr 2010 10:18pm
Smoking ban and beer prices are part of the problem. Old estates going and no business' is another. Don't forget that everything is so expensive these days, fuel, mortgages, food, etc that people don't have the money to go out anymore. The average bod is being screwed over by the banks and big multi-nationals for their profit.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 6:10pm
It appears that most pubs that are surviving are:

1) in some popular place
2) being refurbished every few years
3) Offering cheap bar food
4) selling ale at a relatively comptetive price
5) backed by a major brewer

I live near the Saddle and I often think that place could do so much more with what it has if the re-decorated and promoted their pub food with a good menu. Place seems to do ok with the function suite though.
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 7:09pm
the old quay in parkgate seems to do well.they serve a carvery at a decent price, my hubby asked how many turkeys do they get through, they said about 20 on a busy day. when weve been its always seemed busy the food is nice, kids like the idea of choosing there own food.the drinks prices arent to bad either.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 8:45pm
Yes, i've heard myself that the old Quay goes through Turkeys like it's Christmas. I remember going in there late evening on day and it looked like Club 18-30 had just held a food fight! Roasties all over the floor.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 9:43pm
I think too many pubs try to have joint identity, you can't be a working mans piss-house, a young peoples disco and a family restaurant at the same time.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 9:53pm
I think one of the only exception is the Swan because it has the two rooms.

I remember working there about 16 years ago and an old guy complained because he thought his pint was too warm. "No problem" I said "I'll get you another from the pump from next door". I simply went through from the lounge to the bar, waited a bit and came back out with the same pint. "much better" the customer said and hapily drank the lot.

One Christmas day was another memorable occasion. "Help yourself" prompted the land lady after the festive shift. Unfortunately for me, I passed out on free triple Southern Comforts and missed the rest of the celebrations.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 10:25pm
I drink at home cos its cheaper i dont want to get duffed up by some alcahol fueled yob who thinks youve looked at them in a funny way i feel safer at home got to get a baby sitter anyway
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 10:35pm
Originally Posted by oscarpops
I drink at home cos its cheaper i dont want to get duffed up by some alcahol fueled yob who thinks youve looked at them in a funny way i feel safer at home got to get a baby sitter anyway
Are you saying you stay at home with the babysitter happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th Apr 2010 11:26pm
Way to go Oscar!!!
Lucky sod!
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:19pm
oscars ok, shes got built in babysitters unlike me. my older kids have left.ive only got the young ones at home now so we have to drink at home.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:26pm
No 'kids' ere! Just my luck-the kids grow up and the local pubs die a death!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:30pm
Last time we went out 'local' was '98-99. Most local pubs now have been closed/ took over by deadheads or torched!!'
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:33pm
I like 'the stork' and 'the waterloo'- both in birkenhead-nice atmos! laugh
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:38pm
babysitter is my eldest daughter but she goes the cali or revolver with her mates im tired anway cos satdee an sundee taken up by kids football im just a taxi
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:43pm
i go to the chronicle in lower bebington if i do cos then i dont have to drive so i can have a drink its ok in there
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:46pm
my hubby has his union meetings at the stork. ilike the orginal mosaic floor.been to a couple of do's in there.
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:50pm
we usually go to the prenton park or the mersey clipper if we get the chance to go out.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th Apr 2010 10:51pm
i like going to the chronicle in bebington cos dont have to drive there so can have a drink without worrying about being over the limit ok atmosphere there
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Apr 2010 12:39am
Originally Posted by starakita
my hubby has his union meetings at the stork. ilike the orginal mosaic floor.been to a couple of do's in there.
yes! I like the original features, too? A good pub for a chat-nowt much in entertainment tho? Ie. Karaoke? Or were we just there the wrong day?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Apr 2010 7:25am
My perfect pub would have good cheap bitter, no television, no juke box, no gaming machines,no children, no karaoke, good looking barmaids & be a short staggering distance from my house.
I shall keep on dreaming!
Posted By: starakita Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Apr 2010 8:23am
they were fund raisers for his union branch,he represents taxi drivers.
Posted By: Dave63 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st May 2010 6:54pm
Hi all, does anyone remember the pub in Exmouth st, if you stood in front of the Seamus o'Donnell the first block of flats on the right was were the pub stood, can't remember the name.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st May 2010 7:27pm
pubs in index
Posted By: Dave63 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st May 2010 8:26pm
Thanks Bert,
had looked through the index before could not find it. just looked again doh found it. 161. The Raven Hotel.
My gran use to run the pub before it was knocked down, then she moved into the new flats where the pub use to be.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jun 2010 10:02pm
Welcome to the machine Dave.
Posted By: hwarner Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Aug 2010 11:57am
I use to work in HOTEL VICTORIA, Gayton Road, Heswall. I have moved from the area now so I Goggled mapped the area to show my husband, but there are houses there now. What happened and why?
Also I would like to know if anyone would know the history of the Hotel, as it was hunted.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Aug 2010 12:06pm
Welcome to the machine © Captain America 2009
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 12th Nov 2010 6:24am
It was called the 'Blazing Stump' and this was the unofficial name it was known by which originated when a sailor allegedly fel asleep in the bar and his wooden leg accidentially or maliciously ended up int he fire. The proper name was the Swan Hotel. There is a picture of Winston Churchill standing in a car during a wartime visit to the docks and you can see the Swan in the background. In the let 80's early 90's it bcame Bonkers a club/bar. At one stage there was a sign or painting showing the salior wake ning up to his his stmup ablaze.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 12th Nov 2010 9:07am
The way I heard the story was that it was the landlord that had the peg leg & it was a regular thing for him to sit in his seat & poke the fire with his wooden leg & after a few drinks he would fall asleep & his peg leg would catch fire.
The pub sign,(I was informed)was "liberated" by the fire brigade & is now in their Wallasey mess room!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2010 10:50pm
Not quite wirral, but shortly after I fetched up on Merseyside I was told of a pub in Liverpool called "The Iron Lung' which did a very good scouse on sundays lunchtimes This was in the 1960s when food in pubs was a rarity. An additional attraction was that a 'sing song' took place.

I had difficulty finding it. It was a nickname, and I think it might actually have been called "The Dukes Crown" or something similar. I recall it being near where the law courts are now - Chavasse park area. The Scouse was very good, but the sing song was much better. One guy played the spoons whilst another removed his shoes and socks and sticking his big toes into his mouth whistled a sort of embroidered descant to the melody. I has difficulty staying in my seat I was laughing so much.

Anyone else recall this admirable establishment? No wonder pubs are closing these days. They don't make them like that any more!
Posted By: mickylfc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Dec 2010 10:49pm
i remember it as the blazing stump
Posted By: lonenickel Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Mar 2011 4:49pm
The Pub was called the Marine and its knickname was brassies
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Mar 2011 10:02am
The pub is still there and it is called the Swan Hotel,dont know if this subject has been sorted out before,and its nickname was the blazing stump.
Posted By: Ducko Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Mar 2011 11:33am
who remembers the graveing dock hotel on beaufort road allso nown as the red house and murphys
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Apr 2011 12:46am
Can anyone tell me why/where have my posts gone about 61 The Grapes Hotel 167 bridge st gone?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Apr 2011 10:04am
poodlepup
Can anyone tell me why/where have my posts gone about 61 The Grapes Hotel 167 bridge st gone?

Has been merged with post Old Colonial

as they are both names of the same pub
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 12th Apr 2011 10:09pm
poodlepup

Has been merged with post Old Colonial

as they are both names of the same pub

can the grapes in the index be linked to the other name somehow ie click on grapes in index which takes you to the old colonial thread.
Its a shame as the grapes has been around many many more years,a very old pub with some history
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Apr 2011 6:22pm
Thats a good idea. But the discussions that we have had on the Old Colonial thread have been about the time when the pub was called the Grapes. So the thread on the Grapes will not have the discussions that we have already had on the origional forum
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 15th Apr 2011 11:31am
Five Bars Rest

Attached picture 196868_10150450507065137_775335136_17844805_2362828_n[1].jpg
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Apr 2011 10:50am
I will try again,can "the grapes" have a clicky link please.

As most people will not know the new name and also it has different address to the old colonial.

whats the point of merging the two together!
Posted By: torryman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Apr 2011 5:56pm
what year is this photo from?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Apr 2011 7:32pm
If you mean The Five Bars, it was around 40yrs ago.
Posted By: Poultonpaul Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 28th Apr 2011 7:59pm
I think my Nan is on this picture and her friend from the bingo!
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st May 2011 5:17pm
Poodlepup, the Old Colonial has the same address as The Grapes. In Gore's directory and the Wirral Hundred it has it as 167 Bridge Street im positive of that.

Posted By: poodlepup Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st May 2011 5:22pm
Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Poodlepup, the Old Colonial has the same address as The Grapes. In Gore's directory and the Wirral Hundred it has it as 167 Bridge Street im positive of that.

Yes i know ,i was referring to the index on here its got taylor st (cleveland st)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st May 2011 7:34pm
When I first started looking for pubs I didn't know where the pub was and was wandering around that area looking for pubs and so I could remember where it was I wrote down the street name handiest for it, the Cleveland st bit was to remind me Taylor st was the 3rd st on the right down Cleveland st starting from Argyle st end of Hamilton Square. Didn't notice any Bridge st sign around there.
Will try to amend address when I get around to re-doing the list
Posted By: Mark Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd May 2011 5:38pm
Originally Posted by Ducko
any one remember incognitos nex to the blubell Pub seedy place
Posted By: Ducko Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th May 2011 7:47pm
other names murphys .... the red house
Posted By: Brass Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th May 2011 8:16pm
Anyone know why the black horse pub is getting tined up went past about 3:30 today it seemed to be open this afternoon
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th May 2011 9:51pm
Hello, what does tined up mean, do you mean boarded up if so im shocked Whats happened there then
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th May 2011 10:56pm
Do you mean the Collingwood on Black Horse Hill?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th May 2011 2:28am
Cos it's full of I think am a wannabe gangsters with me fake weed and me plastic knife stab wound blurts. lol, no-marks.
Posted By: parkgater Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th May 2011 8:13am
which black horse?
Posted By: Brass Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th May 2011 11:01am
the one on chruch road tranmere
Posted By: Bluesman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st May 2011 9:27am
I use to drink in the Shakespear in the early 1960s. Had many a stay behind after closing time in those days. The manager was a mate of one of my mates hence the stay behinds.

I'm sure my Mum and Dad ran the Shakespeare in the 60's for a very short time. I knew it was somewhere near the Tunnel entrance but never knew quite where. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: torryman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st May 2011 5:20pm
Any info about this photo...what year etc? I recognise the kid in the middle row to the left...that's John Smith, Billy Smiths son...I'll make him a copy .or even better if you could send me the jpeg and I'll print it out for him.
Posted By: Bluesman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th May 2011 8:29pm
Would anyone know if a picture of The Shakespeare pub exists anywhere? My Mum and Dad ran it from around 1963 and I lived there as a baby. I'd love to get hold of something. If anyone can help, thank you.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th May 2011 8:31pm
Originally Posted by Bluesman
Would anyone know if a picture of The Shakespeare pub exists anywhere? My Mum and Dad ran it from around 1963 and I lived there as a baby. I'd love to get hold of something. If anyone can help, thank you.
Its HERE mate
Posted By: kimpri Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th May 2011 8:40pm
[quote=Bluesman]Would anyone know if a picture of The Shakespeare pub exists anywhere? My Mum and Dad ran it from around 1963 and I lived there as a baby. I'd love to get hold of something. If anyone can help, thank you clicky smile
Posted By: Bluesman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 26th May 2011 10:27pm
Wow OK then. I'm looking from Chester Street I assume up Waterloo Place. Where is the railway bridge?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th May 2011 12:27am
Bridge is there, but not very clear, if you look at the sign sticking out of the last building on the right of the street, the bridge is just under that.
Posted By: Bluesman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th May 2011 5:11pm
DiggingDeeper thank you so much. I guess The Shakespeare was a lot closer to Cammell Lairds boundary than I first thought. Of course Chester St has changed a lot there but I went down Hind Street under the bridge. I thought the pub was there but it must have been further towards Lairds/Chester Street. Thanks again for all your help.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 27th May 2011 5:46pm
It was on the corner of Chester Street. Waterloo Place seems to have been straightened out at some point in time, it had a noticeable S bend at one time but later maps show a straight line.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th May 2011 6:00pm
Not sure of the name but,around Demesne St Seacombe.
Will post name later! Sorry

Attached picture 18580_281543838399_609308399_3293353_2947041_n.jpg
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th May 2011 6:06pm
Queen's Arms, Borough Road, Seacombe. 1908

Attached picture 148262_474151482741_545167741_5896577_8242622_n.jpg
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th May 2011 6:21pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate

'The Elephant and Castle' aka 'The Little House'.Late 50's.
Situated where North Park Court is now.
Posted By: buddy Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th May 2011 6:46pm

'The Elephant and Castle' aka 'The Little House'.Late 50's.
Situated where North Park Court is now.

Corner of Shaw Street and Desmesne Street???
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th May 2011 10:27pm
Person that put it on FB says corner of Fell St?
Posted By: WillOfIrony Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jul 2011 2:39pm
Mersey Vaults: The shaded area between George Street and Somerville Street, including 44, 42, and 40 Somerville Street was a "bomb site" in the mid 1950s. I lived at the top of Cleveland Street and this was the "playground" for all the children in the area. I am not saying the buildings were flattened by bombing but it was always referred to as the bommy.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Jul 2011 1:09pm
The Leasowe?
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 4th Jul 2011 3:28pm
No Rude it wa sfurther up than that!
It was called 'The Elephant and Castle' also known as The Little House.
Posted By: donno Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Jul 2011 9:23pm
Has anyone got any pics of Murphies pub(Graving dock)that was on corner of Tees Street and Beaufort Road.
Posted By: oneofthree Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Jul 2011 4:24pm
Sorry to hear The Nags Head (Rake Lane Wallasey) has closed, good luck to John and all the staff.
Posted By: Expat Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:17pm
Haven't read every post sorry if this has already been mentioned, but anyone remember the Shepherds, Union St, and is it still going?????
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:26pm
I walked past a few months ago and it was all borded up!
Posted By: Expat Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:28pm
That's a shame Bezzy, but probably for the best.
Great photo's you posted by the way!
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:30pm
Which one's? But thanks anyway.
Posted By: Expat Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:34pm
Pic's of pubs, but partucularly one of Five Bars Rest. Amazing can't imagine where you managed to get them from smile
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:37pm
It was on Facebook.Go to 'Old pics of Wallasey'in search,you'll be there for hours!Lol
Posted By: Expat Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jul 2011 9:39pm
Will have a look, thanks
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 2nd Aug 2011 6:24pm
The Ferry Pub GONE. Bulldozed yesterday.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Aug 2011 5:03am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Which ferry pub? The Seacome Ferry?
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Aug 2011 9:48am
Originally Posted by Tatey
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX

Which ferry pub? The Seacome Ferry?

Yep the Seacombe Ferry pub.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 4:19pm
Anyone remember what that pub on the pub on the Dock road was called? It was Bonkers for a while but I can't find it in the list under that name. Its opposite the old spillers buildings?

Thanks
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 4:26pm
It was The Swan or The Stump
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 4:30pm
You sure it wasn't the Star Inn?

Attached picture Bonkers.jpg
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 4:35pm
Pretty sure it was The Swan DD,also known as The Blazing Stump!
But I have been wrong,on many an occassion.Lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 4:41pm
I'll go with that "The Royal Swan", not sure if "The Stump" or "Blazing Stump" were just nicknames after the landlord.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 4:43pm
Oh yes it was only a nick name.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 6:00pm
Definatly known as The Blazing Stump!!
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Aug 2011 6:11pm
look in pub index
689 The Blazing Stump or The Royal Swan Seacombe clicky
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Aug 2011 10:25pm
It was called 'The Blazing Stump' ironic when it went up in flames! It was also Bonkers very briefly, I worked there even brieflier.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Aug 2011 7:31am
Apologies if I missed it, but has anyone got any pictures of the Swan Hotel, Prenton, pre-1970's(ish).

It used to have balconys at 1st floor level. Neon signs with "Swan Hotel" and "Bents Bitter" attached. Although the beer was no great shakes, it was a smart, well run establishment. Had my first drink there, both legal and otherwise !

When I went past earlier this year, it looked a right dump externally. I didn't venture in.
Posted By: Spellbinder Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Aug 2011 5:25pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Apologies if I missed it, but has anyone got any pictures of the Swan Hotel, Prenton, pre-1970's(ish).

It used to have balconys at 1st floor level. Neon signs with "Swan Hotel" and "Bents Bitter" attached. Although the beer was no great shakes, it was a smart, well run establishment. Had my first drink there, both legal and otherwise !

When I went past earlier this year, it looked a right dump externally. I didn't venture in.

It used to be my local for a fair number of years. I intended to go there for a pint after an absence of 30+ years. I didn't call in as it appeared you have to pay to use their car park!!

Posted By: Smackeddie Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Aug 2011 5:37pm
lol no u dont. that cash machine has been empty since they put it in, i think it's the councils,, they dont ever check it. plus the swan has just been closed down for a few days while they re-furbished the place... the swan is always heaving full like friday onwards.. quite busy in week aswel,, i only live round da corner.
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Sep 2011 6:31pm
I may have missed them in the index but is there anybody out there that remembers:-

The Imperial on Church Road - Had my first pint in there at the age of 14 / 15

The Royal on Woodchurch Road (Just on the bend at the top of Carlton Road) This was my main drinking hole for many many too many perhaps years. I believe this has closed down now - I will always remember Rene the barmaid absolute Star

The Carlton on Borough Road (At the bottom of Carlton Road) This was another of my drinking holes and my Dads

Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Sep 2011 7:23pm
The Imp is on Derby Rd Dave, unless there was another one.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Sep 2011 8:37pm
Bert. at 14/15 Daveoffshore probable did not know which of the main roads he was on.
If he looks looks for the royal under its new name {The cock & Pullet } he will see some photo's i posted just after it re-opened
Posted By: daveoffshore Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Sep 2011 8:50pm
Hi bert 1

You are right it is / was Derby Road I was thinking of with The Imperial - senior moment there forgetting!

jimbob

I will look for the "new Royal" as you suggest - I have not driven past there for a while so thought it was clsoed down for goood - you been in?
Posted By: paranoidballoon Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Sep 2011 9:39pm
We watched the Liverpool game in the Cock and Pullet yesterday
Bandy spider and myself. We did notice a picture marked as Vittoria Road but we all three agreed, it was Corporation Road.I think a lot of the pictures you see in pubs are a commercial enterprise without much local Knowledge.The Swan used to have some old photo's on the wall of the pub when it was a whitewashed cottage type building.I will check if they are still in the bar area.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Sep 2011 9:32pm
What was the name of that pub in Market St that used to sell exotic food? I remember I had parrot pie there once. It was awful-kept repeating on me!!
Posted By: rocks Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 29th Sep 2011 7:32pm
another one bites the dust....the rock ville now boarded up frown
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 10:56am
Wonder when they boarded that up?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 12:28pm
Originally Posted by Ste_Misses

Noticed it early last week, seem to recall it was open at the weekend (but I don't drink so don't take much notice).
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 12:37pm
Originally Posted by TheDr

Noticed it early last week, seem to recall it was open at the weekend (but I don't drink so don't take much notice).
What do you mean you don't drink?Make an effort man,don't leave it all to the rest of us!Alcohol is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 12:44pm
Originally Posted by TheDr

Your just down the road from it to.
Shame you don't drink could of been a cracking local for you.
Never mind,I don't drink a lot myself,well to be honest this last week or too I have gone over board,but there has been partys and pub meets,back to t-total life again I think smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 12:46pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Alcohol is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

For that he gave us Brabus and Cosworth, and advised that if we wanted to use them, we lay off the other joyride
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 1:17pm
Originally Posted by rocks
A pic

Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Oct 2011 1:22pm
Well!
I didn't think that would ever close,it always looked so busy and in the summer there was people always outside.
My cousin used to live over the road from there so once a week we wud pop in.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 12th Oct 2011 8:11pm
A couple of new pubs ....

183 Beckwith St "New Park Hotel"

197 Beckwith St " Hindoo Tavern"

Both are in 1857 Post Office Directory
Posted By: lemonhead Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 12th Oct 2011 8:51pm
Originally Posted by TRANCENTRAL
Originally Posted by rocks
A pic

i go ther christmas day for a few, there was no sign off that going, the Railway is now a convenience store as The Yard is by green lane
Posted By: rockster Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 12th Oct 2011 9:28pm
Rock Villa gone then?
What a shame as it looked like it was holding out.
So are there only two pubs left on Old Chester Road now?
Or is the Fairfield on Well Lane?
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Oct 2011 9:29pm
The Claughton oposit the Tesco express in Claughton village is boarded up. Noticed it this morning.
Posted By: rockster Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Oct 2011 9:51pm
And that place used to get busy as well.
There'll be no pubs left soon.
Posted By: uggla Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 15th Oct 2011 6:01pm
I was in here about 4 weeks ago it was a complete mess inside tbh, and wasnt many in the place and half the pub wasnt even been used, the door on the right in that picture.

Not a place i was thinking about going back to.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Oct 2011 8:37pm
Originally Posted by rockster
Rock Villa gone then?
Not counting the question of the Fairfield been in Well Lane or Old Chester Road. WHERE IS THE OTHER PUB YOUR ON ABOUT THATS ON OLD CHESTER ROAD?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Oct 2011 8:48pm
Originally Posted by rockster
Rock Villa gone then?
Not counting the question of the Fairfield been in Well Lane or Old Chester Road. WHERE IS THE OTHER PUB YOUR ON ABOUT THATS ON OLD CHESTER ROAD?

the Old House at Home by the monkey steps?
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Oct 2011 7:00pm
The Old House At Home is actualy in QUEEN STREET. OLD CHESTER ROAD RUNS DOWN PAST CHAMBERLINE STREET AND MEETS GREEN LANE DOWN BY THE RAILWAY BRIDGE.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Oct 2011 9:16pm
The Old House At Home is actualy in QUEEN STREET. OLD CHESTER ROAD RUNS DOWN PAST CHAMBERLINE STREET AND MEETS GREEN LANE DOWN BY THE RAILWAY BRIDGE.
Wow, never noticed that before. Old chester road actually starts/ends at the junction half way down green lane. Thanks for pointing that out thumbsup
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:00pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Wow, never noticed that before. Old chester road actually starts/ends at the junction half way down green lane. Thanks for pointing that out thumbsup

I stand corrected

In 1861 Mawdsley p37 there is a Commercial Inn down as 1 Old Chester Road and 25 and 27 Grange Street which means at one time
Old Chester Road may have started near the beginning of Grange street unless no1. was the accommodation of the manager.

Where was Grange Street and where would no1 be if by Green Lane station
The Brittannia was 2/4 Old Chester Road.

Attached picture old chester road.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:20pm
There were a few little streets in the triangle of Queens Street/Green Lane/Old Chester Road, but that would be on the wrong side (as I've recently been educated). Tithe maps prior to this date and the 1875 maps don't show anything different but of course, the tithe maps don't name roads.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:25pm
Grange lane and Old Chester rd

Attached picture mappp.JPG
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:29pm
Grange st, at end of Grange lane.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:29pm
I'm guessing Grange St was the section that goes past the station and that Old Chester Road terminated a bit earlier. In which case the Commercial became the Prince Albert or was to the left of it (where the chip shop or car electrical place is?)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:34pm
I'm guessing Grange St was the section that goes past the station and that Old Chester Road terminated a bit earlier. In which case the Commercial became the Prince Albert or was to the left of it (where the chip shop or car electrical place is?)

please see earlier posts.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:36pm
Yes, we overlapped, its difficult to get that map with there being so many changes, any idea what year it is?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:39pm
Yes, we overlapped, its difficult to get that map with there being so many changes, any idea what year it is?

1858, mills and fletcher plan.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 2:56pm

I think you're mistaken dd
On berts map it looks like it started originally from Grange Street and ran parallel to Egerton st as far as Waterloo Place before it seems to disappear from any later maps
189 Commercial Hotel 23 grange street may be the pub in index

Would like to see more of the Egerton St map I think was posted by martyfred if he reads this

Attached picture grange street.jpg
Attached picture eg st.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 3:27pm
Looking at the maps I think What was the beginning of Old Chester Rd 1858 became Tunnel Road later
Posted By: Norton Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Oct 2011 4:10pm
Take a look at the threads on Town Station. It was on the corner of Grange La and Tunnel Road. It's not shown on the above map, so it must have been before the railway tunnel to Woodside was dug.
The thread has maps of here and some reference to road names, which may be usefull. Also, see the thread on Old Chester.
Personally, I always thought that Old Chester Road only got the 'old' prefix after New Chester Road was opened, once the land had been drained. Logically, Chester Street should have run into Chester Road, thus completing the run from either Monks Ferry or Woodside to Chester?
Hope this helps as I'd like to know.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Oct 2011 6:49pm
Step back to the pubs. One of the pubs with the name Comercial was on the corner of Grange Street and Tunnel Road. In the mid 50s is full name was the Commercial Hotel. It was a Birkenhead Brewery pub.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Oct 2011 9:24pm
here you are jimbob

183 Commercial Hotel Grange Street /Tunnel Road

I wonder if the Peerless Brewery tour we are going to has any connection to the Peerless Ales on the pub

Attached picture CommercialHotel.jpg
Posted By: anothertrappers Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Oct 2011 8:56pm
old house at home is in queen street
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Oct 2011 9:32pm
or to put it another way, at the bottom of the Monkey Steps
Posted By: marty99fred Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Nov 2011 1:52pm
The Commercial Hotel on the 1875 street plan, with the 1955 OS map of the same area for comparison:

Attached picture Commercial Hotel 1875.JPG
Attached picture Commercial Hotel 1955.JPG
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Nov 2011 9:16am
Hi I am trying to establish which pubs or hotels were in Tobin Street. I have the following so far The Ferry Hotel, The Ferry Pier Hotel, The Egremont, and the Long Pull. Does anyone have any photos or info about the these, or landlords,positions in the road their fate? I have checked some details in Kellys Directory for 1894, and have the following,
Cecil Dawson Hoskins (landlord) Ferry Pier Hotel Thanks Jess
Posted By: anothertrappers Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Nov 2011 8:53pm
the pub on dock road by the mills was well known as the blazing stump i think its name is really "the swan"good band played there in the early 80`s called herbys popped out
Posted By: Tatey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Nov 2011 8:35am
Originally Posted by Jess53
Hi I am trying to establish which pubs or hotels were in Tobin Street. I have the following so far The Ferry Hotel, The Ferry Pier Hotel, The Egremont, and the Long Pull. Does anyone have any photos or info about the these, or landlords,positions in the road their fate? I have checked some details in Kellys Directory for 1894, and have the following,
Cecil Dawson Hoskins (landlord) Ferry Pier Hotel Thanks Jess

I have sent you a PM
Posted By: Jess53 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 18th Nov 2011 9:59am
Hi thanks will check it out, again cheers!!! Jess
Posted By: anothertrappers Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Nov 2011 9:55am
the pub by the mills was the swan inn nickname "the blazing stump"later known as "bonkers"
help needed

Posted By: sunnyside Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 5:07pm
hi anyone remember the grapes pub behind hamilton square my local back in the 70s
the bakers arms top of grange rd now a macdonalds
pub that was by oak and eldon gardens in 70s
dance hall conway st was it the majestic
creep inn new brighton
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 5:10pm
laugh how many pubs were there along dock road birkenhead?
Posted By: Norton Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 6:00pm
The true answer is none!
Dock Road is in Wallasey, its equivalent in Birkenhead is Corporation Road, then Beaufort Road.
The boundary between Birkenhead and Wallasey is down the centre of the docks, passing through the middle of the Duke St Bridge, and the middle of the dock that is now the car park for the Irish ferry terminal. ( This means the road entrance for the Terminal is in Wallasey, but the boat leaves from Birkenhead.)
There used to be town name signs as you went over the bridges, but these dissapeared when they were refurbished, and have never been replaced by Wirral Council. And, since 1974 when Birkenhead and Wallasey all became part of Wirral, I can't recall an official map showing the actual boundary.
To add to the confusion, the Post Office use their method of naming convention to give premises on Dock Road, Wallasey, a Birkenhead address, and the phone box at the end of the Dock Road had a Birkenhead telephone number!!
Sorry to go off topic a bit.
So, which road did was it?
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 6:17pm
hi norton thanks for info i suppose it would be corporation rd a long road with a pub on every corner ha ha
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 7:34pm
If you take theDock Hotel (Dock Hotel Shore road) Freeman Street as being the start of Corporation Road
Wheatsheaf Hotel 39 Corporation Road 39 2 to 4 Pool Street 2/4
Royal Hotel Corporation Road Cathcart Street known as Dolphin Hotel
Mersey Arms Hotel Corporation Road Neptune St
Royal Duke Hotel Corporation Road Duke Street
Halfway House Patten Street (possibly part in Corporation Road)
and
to throw into the mix on an 1889 map Hoylake Road going from St James church towards Moreton was called Corporation Road
Bidston Hotel Bidston Hill Hotel 50 to 52 Hoylake Road once called Corporation Road
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 8:01pm
thanks for that derek
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Dec 2011 11:31pm
Originally Posted by sunnyside
hi anyone remember the grapes pub behind hamilton square my local back in the 70s
the bakers arms top of grange rd now a macdonalds
pub that was by oak and eldon gardens in 70s
dance hall conway st was it the majestic
creep inn new brighton

There's a good post on wiki about the Grapes(Old Colonial by bennyboy
The Grange Hotel was the pub where MacDonalds is.
The Bakers Arms was at on the corner of Exmouth st/Claughton rd opposite the Music Hall pub (where the new Asda part of is nearest Exmouth st
The tunnels under the fair which were the Creep In are on a youtube video possibly called the dungeons of New Brighton
Posted By: anothertrappers Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Jan 2012 7:12pm
hi derek,great work you have done on the old pubs,there is one boozer that appears to be missing though and it shows it standing right behind the woodside hotel on an old os map i have got.seperate from the woodside it faces the wall of the old station and is marked as P.H on the map.if addressed in chester st it would probably be no.14.if this has already been discovered in the forum apologys,please point me to it,otherwise good searching
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Jan 2012 8:12pm
possibly
Woodside Vaults
Or Queens Arms (Worseley Arms, Cuckoo) number 14/16 in 1861 mawdsley street directory
Posted By: anothertrappers Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 11th Jan 2012 8:17pm
THANKS DEREK,PROBABLY WOODSIDE VAULTS.DEFINITELY NOT CUCKOO ETC
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2012 5:22pm
Sheldrakes bar and restaurant seems to be missing from the index

The back of the building is being rebuilt yet again at the moment.

CLICKY

Also The Hare Inn, one of the four original pubs in Tranmere is missing, this was on Church Road opposite the end of Dial Road.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2012 5:58pm
There were a few other pubs in the Heswall area which have long since vanished. Not far from the 'Black Horse' there used to be 'The Ship', and another pub called the 'White Lion'.

There was also a pub at Brimstage once, but I'm not sure what it was called.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2012 6:01pm
Brimstage had the "Red Cat" which is where the village hall is now. So closed just before 1932.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2012 6:24pm
Could be wrong, but I can't see the Hotel Victoria (Heswall) on the list. And what was the real old one in Willaston called, was it the 'Red Lion'?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2012 6:27pm
Hotel Vic is there and indexed CLICKY
Posted By: Geekus Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 22nd Jan 2012 6:36pm
Cheers! thumbsup
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Apr 2012 6:18pm
The pub just a little further away from Argos was the Manchester Arms just before you come to the old Wesly Printers looking towards the St Andrews Square Flats the one on the corner of Claughton Road and Conway Street was called the Conway Arms or flat iron for short as it was shaped like a old flat iron, then we had the Combamere then the Brown jug all within ten minutes of each other.not forgetting the Angel The Crown and all the rest still standing.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Apr 2012 10:23am
Proper name was The Swan. It was called the blazing stump because a sailor fell asleep by the fire and his peg leg caught fire. There is a picture of Churchill visiting the area in his car and you can see the pub in the background.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Apr 2012 10:25am
Woodside vaults and there was a tunnel linking it with the cellars of the Woodside which will still be there.
Posted By: rosieb Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Apr 2012 3:51pm
fairfield at the bottom black horse at the top just round corner church road
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Apr 2012 4:10pm
If I remember there use to be a pub on Borough Road that was called the Rose and Thistle just pass the old pet shop opposite the old fire station, then we had the Music hall by Charing Cross.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Apr 2012 6:15pm
I think the Rose and Thistle was in the part of Borough Road between Nelson st and Collingwood st but on the other side of the road.
There's an old pic of it in one of Ian Boumphreys books
Posted By: Norton Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Apr 2012 9:43pm
Just had a quick look at the large scale OS Map, and it was indeed almost opposite the end of Nelson St at 93 Borough Rd (south side). I'd say about 20 feet away to the west from where the flyover joins the level road. On the map it is marked 'BH' which actually stands for 'Beer House' which is a bit different to 'PH' for Public House. Possibly this part of the map was never updated before this and adjoining buildings were demolished in the first phase of works for the Borough Rd section of the Tunnel Flyover in about 1967.
Posted By: Capernicus Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Apr 2012 8:21am
Thank You I knew it was on Borough Road
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 16th Jun 2012 3:29pm
I hear the Morton Arms has closed. frown
Posted By: torryman Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Jun 2012 1:33pm
yes the morton arms is tinned up
Posted By: Dolphin123 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Jul 2012 10:40am
Originally Posted by Mark
Originally Posted by Lukeo25
isn't there a pub on top of well lane as well?? i can picture it but can't put a name to it and does any1 remember Miltons in Birkenhead?

I think that the name you are looking for is the Black Horse pub at the top of Well Lane.

hope this helps.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Jul 2012 2:24pm
Mark,
Can you add the "Thingwall Rec. Centre Social Club" been going since 1981 and survived up and downs of economy and drinking habits - now thriving again - due to shrewd management !

Very friendly local club... with acts on at least once every 4 weeks.

Also prices cheaper than legion - with 2 price rises ignored...!

51 Sparks Lane
Thingwall
CH61 7XE
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Jul 2012 3:13pm
Added to index, so if you can get a picture of it make a new topic in the Wirrals Pubs Past & Present open page
723 Thingwall Rec. Centre Social Club 51 Sparks Lane Thingwall and put the pic in
and it will then be added by me or Mark to the index so that you click to see the pic
Derek
Posted By: doug1951 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 6th Sep 2012 12:18pm
the blazing stump?
Posted By: daveybm Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Sep 2012 6:57am
The Blazing Stump, see the first page of this thread, also see this page in the index :-

https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums...e_Blazing_Stump_or_The_R.html#Post303376

Dave
Posted By: Howiesson Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 30th Nov 2012 12:39am
hi do u have any old pics of jimmys club that used to be by hamilton square station thanks.
Posted By: OkeyCokey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2012 6:31pm
Hi. Anyone know of the pub in Birkenhead center that used to be by the old Argos near the old Asda car park and Market (now a bank on the corner occupies the rough area, next to the new Argos)Thanks
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2012 6:44pm
The Argyle was there until the '80s.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2012 6:58pm
Pics in pub index

click
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 31st Dec 2012 9:24pm
Did The Mags re-open after the fire?
Posted By: Tatey Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Jan 2013 10:11am
softshoes,

It certainly did.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 1st Jan 2013 12:03pm
Thanks Tatey. I used to live on Ormiston Rd ( above Vaughn Rd ).
My best friend John I'm sure would have been very happy about the re-opening.
Posted By: Wizzo Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Jan 2013 1:40am
Hi! OakeyCokey, the one pub that comes to mind, was the Manchester arms this geographicly puts it where you described it, it was however on Claughton Road opposite Boyd's builders yard going back a bit this, and was open when St.Andrews Church was decomissioned hope this helps.
Posted By: RamblingJack Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2013 12:19pm
Does anyone know what's happening to the Moby just now?

I don't live in WK but have recently passed by and noticed a lot of rubble, behind fencing in the car park.
Posted By: jen8505 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2013 6:13pm
I know the old owners. They have sold it on and from what I am led to believe it is being changed to a hickorys like the one in chester
Posted By: crazyvirgogirl Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2013 7:28pm
yep it's going to be a steak house, shame cos it was a nice carvery.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2013 8:36pm
I am working on the refurb there at the moment. Hickorys in Chester have bought it. They also own BarLounge in Chester. If their other two premises are anything to go by then I expect they are going for the more upmarket well off crowd. Its going to be very smart when its finished. The outside Terrace is being extended out in to the car park. The internal walls in the middle by the entrance have all been removed, opening up the kitchen area which will all be on show. There are loads of booth like seating areas going in. There is also going to be a children's 'Magic Garden' at the back. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that will entail. Its just a mud waste land right now.
I don't know if it will still be known as the Moby Dick or not. I will have to ask.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2013 10:29pm
Maybe it'll become the "Hickory Dick"...!!! LOL
Posted By: Madge Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 8th Jan 2013 11:06pm
gutted they did the best roast for miles
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Jan 2013 1:03am
Originally Posted by CVCVCV
Maybe it'll become the "Hickory Dick"...!!! LOL

That's funny
Posted By: RamblingJack Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Jan 2013 5:13pm
Thanks for the info, which is most interesting - we recently moved to Chester but I've yet to try Hickorys, which I think is down by the river. Think it gets generally good reviews though.

Good thing for the Moby itself - it was never the same after the fire, best part of 30-years ago now, and seemed on a determined track in the down market direction (full of pensioner day-trip buses, last time we looked!)
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 7th Apr 2013 8:31am
So loved reading this pub forum, all the memories good and bad, I had forgotten a few of the names until now.
My mum was a barmaid in "half" of these pubs during the 50'-70's, the beehive, blackhorse, charing cross, snug, prenton, carlton, victoria lodge, to name just a few.
Have fond memories of Finegans in Hoylake celebrated my 21st there, great night and the biggest 'PIG' portions as they were described ever....
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 17th Sep 2013 8:53pm
Heard today that they have started to knock down the Bird in hand Wallasey, another one gone.
Posted By: Reno37 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 10th Oct 2013 4:28pm
The Argyle
Posted By: ARickett Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2013 9:46pm
#90 Kossuth Hotel, 18 Chester Street, Birkenhead

I have been researching my family and my grandmother, Bridget Watters was a Kitchen Maid at that address in 1890's and in 'Googling' the address I found this link. I did not know it was a hotel until today but thought it might have been a guest house as there were a few 'servants' in the 1901 census. Thanks for the info. Angela
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 12:39pm
Pub called The Denbigh Castle cropped up on an ancestry search, Leicester Street????? Can't find it in the directory on this site. Anybody got any clues at all? I'll keep looking myself aa well. The time I'm looking at is 1891 census.
oldman
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 2:18pm
1916 directory,
Leicester Street (Ivy Street)
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 2:27pm

Attached picture dc.JPG
Posted By: YinYang Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 3:54pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Pub called The Denbigh Castle cropped up on an ancestry search, Leicester Street????? Can't find it in the directory on this site. Anybody got any clues at all? I'll keep looking myself aa well. The time I'm looking at is 1891 census.
oldman

1891 Census ref: RG 12/2878 think

Posted By: YinYang Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 4:01pm
Originally Posted by YinYang
1891 Census ref: RG 12/2878 think

http://wiki.sepe.org.uk/index.php?title=Place:Birkenhead_Registration_District,_1891_Census_Street_Index_P-R

(Sorry, but can't seem to get that link on... ) smack
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 6:06pm
Denbigh Castle White Street/ 4 - 6 St MAry's Gate
1876 MAP Denbighshire iNN

Attached picture denbigh.jpg
Attached picture DENBIGH PUB.jpg
Posted By: YinYang Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 23rd Nov 2013 7:21pm
Great photo derekdwc.

Must have been a rough pub if that was the police getting ready for closing time...
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2013 10:08am
The pub closed 1950
Trying to date the pic .
It looks to me as if they (police and firemen)came off Chester Street and were marching along St Mary's gate (possibly that's White St on the right) to St Mary's church for a service.
Death of someone high up in the services or one killed in performance of their duty?
Spikes on their helmets
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2013 4:21pm
Jolly well done fellahs. It all fits in. Gives me an idea of where my ancestors were doing their stuff, fascinating. Had some lived in Vine Street and I knocked around with that crowd years later for quite a while without realising my own family used to live there. Makes me shiver.
Just noticed the name under the pub name and it wasn't them that I was actually looking at, I was looking at the Samuels'. It get weirder, I'll have to look that one up as well.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2013 4:29pm
Looking at the medals on the bobbies I would think it's an early Remembrance Sunday parade.
Posted By: bigpete Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Feb 2014 1:21am
If you take theDock Hotel (Dock Hotel Shore road) Freeman Street as being the start of Corporation Road
Wheatsheaf Hotel 39 Corporation Road 39 2 to 4 Pool Street 2/4
Royal Hotel Corporation Road Cathcart Street known as Dolphin Hotel
Mersey Arms Hotel Corporation Road Neptune St
Royal Duke Hotel Corporation Road Duke Street
Halfway House Patten Street (possibly part in Corporation Road)
and
to throw into the mix on an 1889 map Hoylake Road going from St James church towards Moreton was called Corporation Road
Bidston Hotel Bidston Hill Hotel 50 to 52 Hoylake Road once called Corporation Road

The one on Beaufort Road was the Graving Dock Hotel - think it was on the junction with Ilchester Road....
Posted By: bigpete Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 13th Feb 2014 1:30am
Originally Posted by paranoidballoon
We watched the Liverpool game in the Cock and Pullet yesterday
Bandy spider and myself. We did notice a picture marked as Vittoria Road but we all three agreed, it was Corporation Road.I think a lot of the pictures you see in pubs are a commercial enterprise without much local Knowledge.The Swan used to have some old photo's on the wall of the pub when it was a whitewashed cottage type building.I will check if they are still in the bar area.

Vittoria Road does junction with Corporation Road - after crossing over Cleveland Street if that helps...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Nov 2014 9:53pm
Pic of The Stanley Pub in Seacombe (could not find it in Index) Nicked this one from Facebook. Degs, I have various pub related clippings from local papers, care of Grandad to upload too.

Attached picture Stanleys pub.jpg
Posted By: Norton Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 12:31am
At the bottom of Borough Rd, on the north side, by its junction with Brighton St. Tunnel vent in the background.
The building with the rounded frontage was a bank that became a pub/club named 'Le Banque' (not to be confused with Stanleys 'Old Bank' at the top of Tobin Street).
I think 'The Stanley' is hiding in the shadows of the photo, behind the car, perhaps?.
From old maps, I reckon that it was 25 yards to the east from the end of the Stanley St/Borough Rd (aka Victoria Rd) junction.

Good find though. Needs adding to the pubs index.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 12:55am
I think it is the building just off shot to the left.
Posted By: Norton Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 1:19am
Dilly, I think I would agree with you. Right now I've been looking for the old map from where I originally derived its location, being 76 Borough Rd (nee Victoria Rd) Seacombe. This shows a little 'PH' in a square in the corner of the 'hotel'.

Rather strangely, I think the Stanley Pub was in the corner of the Stanley Arms Hotel building. They are recorded seperately on the 1871 cencus, and the first time I have a street number recorded for them is 1902. They had different heads of household or licencee recorded for each premise at the same time. They had different drinks licences, one as a hotel and one as a pub. It was some time later that they became one and the same. Or it could be due to discrepencies in the trade directories...

.... Stanley Pub ------ Stanley Arms Hotel
1857 T O'Dell
1871 Joseph Martin ---- Hugh Williams
1883 George Hallgarth
1902 -------------------- John J Linton
1910 -------------------- Robert Leeman
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 1:39am

Attached picture Directory1949.jpg
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 1:40am
The Stanley c1904 , highlighted in yellow in the lower photo . The green outlines the Irving Theatre .

Description: The Stanley
Attached picture Stan I-vert.jpg
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 1:48am
Finally closed around 1986 .
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 7:48am
From what I can remember it had a more modern frontage than the rest of the buildings in the block. I would have thought it closed a fair bit earlier than 86, possibly in the seventies.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 10:12am
sonylegs
1949 street diectory
Please could you tell me where you got it from,as I would like to get later ones than what I have
bought on cd?
copied from a library street directory (by camera or photocopied?
online?
Derek

pm sent

Attached picture Directory1949.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 10:58am
Originally Posted by Dilly
From what I can remember it had a more modern frontage than the rest of the buildings in the block. I would have thought it closed a fair bit earlier than 86, possibly in the seventies.

Its in the 1976 phone book, see below.

Its not in the 1984.

Attached picture 1976.JPG
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 5:08pm

Attached picture Stanley Hotel.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 5:12pm

Attached picture 1966.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 5:15pm

Attached picture victoria road 1909.png
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 5:16pm

Attached picture Stanley 1909_Map.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 21st Nov 2014 5:28pm
Originally Posted by Norton
Dilly, I think I would agree with you. Right now I've been looking for the old map from where I originally derived its location, being 76 Borough Rd (nee Victoria Rd) Seacombe. This shows a little 'PH' in a square in the corner of the 'hotel'.

Rather strangely, I think the Stanley Pub was in the corner of the Stanley Arms Hotel building. They are recorded seperately on the 1871 cencus, and the first time I have a street number recorded for them is 1902. They had different heads of household or licencee recorded for each premise at the same time. They had different drinks licences, one as a hotel and one as a pub. It was some time later that they became one and the same. Or it could be due to discrepencies in the trade directories...

.... Stanley Pub ------ Stanley Arms Hotel
1857 T O'Dell
1871 Joseph Martin ---- Hugh Williams
1883 George Hallgarth
1902 -------------------- John J Linton
1910 -------------------- Robert Leeman

Mr. Maurice Thomas was the manager of the Joint City and Midland Bank. Mr. John Greenwell became manager in the 1930s. Among the other businesses in this part of the road were the fish and chip shop run by Archie Chippendale, Arthur White the stationer and Joe Scott, the butcher. Bob Leenam was landlord of the 'Stanley Arms' hotel and in the 1920s Reg Prichard took over, followed by Jim Horsley. The hotel once had a balcony and next door was 'Belle Vue', with steps leading up to the front door. The hotel once boasted a bowling green.
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2014 11:32pm
The ship Inn Birkenhead Dock Road, no pictures.

One of Wallasey’s oldest pub called time in 1992. Seacombe’s Marine Hotel, two former fisherman’s cottages, was a local landmark (known as Brassey’s) and dated back over 200 years. The small pub had a big heart and many of the regulars packed the place to hear the last licensee Pat Ruck cry the final “Time Gentlemen Please” on Saturday, 4th January 1992. She had run the Birkenhead Road cornerstone with Dad John Fielding for 14 years. The riverside hotel was once famous for its American Bowling Alley and close by the ferry was a walkway known as Marine Parade, leading to the Marine Hotel, which ended a row of cottages.
The cottages were whitewashed and next to Brasseys there was an even smaller establishment known as the Ship Inn, circa 1888.
Only the Marine Hotel survived to the 1990’s and in 1992 the building was demolished to make way for a revised traffic lay-out and a roundabout.

Attached picture ship.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2014 11:39pm
also i can no see a mention on here about the Summer Seat Or Victoria Arms. I did do a search with ctrl and f.

Attached picture summer.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2014 11:48pm
before Johnney Lodge it was a pub, The Royal Oak.

Attached picture oak.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 24th Nov 2014 11:59pm
getting closer to the one in Brighton Street
The Griffin Hotel, 40a. I wonder why the "a"

Attached picture griffin.jpg
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Nov 2014 12:05am
Elephant & Castle

Attached picture el.jpg
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 25th Nov 2014 11:06am
Not come across that one thanks-will add it to the pub index as

746 Elephant and Castle 29 Desmesne Street, Seacombe, Wallasey

I usually don't do it as a clickable entry unless I come across a pic of it or someone does it as a new topic with the next number in the index with something to say about it
Some other Seacombe pubs I'm interested in getting the street/road number for (if you could help)are

old House at Home, Victoria road, Seacombe (1861 mawdsley beer house)
Oddfellows Arms,Victoria road, Seacombe (1861 mawdsley beer house)
Revenue Hotel 30 Demesne Street,Seacombe
Royal Oak Inn, Demean st. Seacombe (1861 mawdsley pub)
Seacombe Hotel (Vaults) Seacombe (1857 PO directory) & (1861 mawdsley pub Hotels, Inns & Taverns
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Feb 2015 10:49pm
anyone have info / pic of the golden fleece/ might have been old chester road, i had imbibed of copious amounts of rum, therefore it is a little hazy..........
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Feb 2015 11:13pm
click

now demolished

Description: became Josie Ryans
Attached picture fleece.jpg
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 19th Feb 2015 11:28pm
thanks derek
Posted By: hagar Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 20th Feb 2015 12:59am
was there a pub in borough road seacombe near the bingo house? was it called the axe and cleaver or something like that?
Posted By: NickWirral Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jun 2017 7:45pm
I am trying to find any details about the 'Manchester Arms Inn' which was located in New Brighton, Cheshire. It is mentioned in The Liverpool Mercury newspaper dated December 5th, 1863, when a Coast Guard/RNLI man named John Cole brought the survivors of a ship named 'Isabella & Catherine' to this Inn.

I would be grateful for any information.

Nick.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jun 2017 8:45pm
Originally Posted by NickWirral
I am trying to find any details about the 'Manchester Arms Inn' which was located in New Brighton, Cheshire. It is mentioned in The Liverpool Mercury newspaper dated December 5th, 1863, when a Coast Guard/RNLI man named John Cole brought the survivors of a ship named 'Isabella & Catherine' to this Inn.

I would be grateful for any information.

Nick.

1861 Mawdsleys Directory,
John Bennett
Ale & Porter
Liverpool & Manchester Arms
Victoria Rd, Seacombe

Attached picture man arms.PNG
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 5th Jun 2017 9:03pm
Victoria Road, Seacombe was renamed to Borough Road
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 14th Jun 2018 5:28pm
Pollards Inn, Willaston is up for sale £165,000 plus £65,000 annual rent.
Posted By: venice Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 15th Jun 2018 3:51pm
How does that work ? Is it just the business fittings and good will thats for sale at £165k and then you rent the whole premises by the year,from the person who actually owns the building and freehold ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 15th Jun 2018 4:01pm
I guess so, I don't know if it is a free-house or the rent is to a brewery in which case you are tied.

https://www.christie.com/news-resou...illage-pub-for-sale-on-wirral-peninsula/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 15th Nov 2019 11:07pm
Gladstone Social Club (formerly Gladstone Liberal Club) in Tranmere is shuttered and up for sale £350,000 including the bowling green.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Jan 2020 9:32pm
The Beehive Hotel, Prenton Park Hotel and the Imperial Tavern may be put up for sale after EI Group and Stonegate Pubs merge.

Stonegate own the Sportsman's Arms and the Halfway House.
EI Group own the Queens Arms.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/prenton-park-pub-set-sold-17538649
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 3rd Apr 2020 1:33am
Griffin Hotel, Borough Road (was 40a Victoria Road), Wallasey, open before 1857 and closed before 1964. Was a Spraggs pub then Higsons.

North side of Borough Road, halfway between Brighton Street and Demesne Street on the corner of what was Smithy Lane which has gone.

Attached picture EUmoNMbXkAUHNnt.jpg
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Chat : Wirral Pubs Past & Present - 9th Apr 2020 6:50pm
Withens Lane Sports and Social Club
(Wallasey British legion)
3 Withens Lane
Wallasey
CH44 1BB

Now reduced to a pile of rubble on the land left over.

Attached picture ogimage.png
© Wirral-Wikiwirral